Video reveals how Chinese fraudsters installed a skimmer on an ATM in Chonburi

webfact

23 hours ago, david555 said:

no cardless for me …. as wireless readers are a long time available someone a few meters away can intercept ….. oh digital world...!,Hence in the west that payment system is for limited amounts around 15 €,not for higher amounts .

I simple use 2 bank accounts ,1 strictly limited use and card stays safe home , number 2 loaded by number 1 online banking ,and just loaded with what I think needed for day /week month ….or when I need to buy some big thing then short notice time big load on that card number 2 just for the purchase , and that is even on the sms notice (KK bank) wit drawl warning

I started using this method about 10 years ago, since then I have expanded to 5 bank accounts, each for a different function. The most I could lose from my ATM card is 20 kBaht, but a thief would have to move fast.

On 11/22/2019 at 3:16 PM, KhunBENQ said:

From the video obviously an antique magnetic stripe skimmer.

Maybe even the last loungers will now hurry to their bank and exchange it for a chip card!.

PIN entry still visible with an overhead camera but no known way to copy and do a duplicate.

Overhead camera: that's why you see these signs with the left hand hiding your entry.

It's still possible to clone a card with chip. The reason is that some retailer didn't upgrade yet so card are all backward compatible with old payment terminal technology. Also if the chip fail (it can be faked) it revert to using the magnetic strip. It will get much safer once they remove the magnetic strip. 

11 minutes ago, anterian said:
On 11/22/2019 at 3:25 PM, david555 said:

I simple use 2 bank accounts ,1 strictly limited use and card stays safe home , number 2 loaded by number 1 online banking ,and just loaded with what I think needed for day /week month ….or when I need to buy some big thing then short notice time big load on that card number 2 just for the purchase , and that is even on the sms notice (KK bank) wit drawl warning

I started using this method about 10 years ago, since then I have expanded to 5 bank accounts, each for a different function. The most I could lose from my ATM card is 20 kBaht, but a thief would have to move fast.

Exactly the same here... I have two accounts with the same bank. The Card for the 'larger' account remains in the Safe, I have the card for the the 'smaller' account in my wallet and is used regularly and topped up as and when needed with about 20,000 baht. 

When I initially tried to set up this 'safer' method of banking I was not allowed to open a second account as I didn't have a work permit (wasn't working in Thailand) at the time. I poined out that the second account is to make my banking more secure but the Staff at SCB were no interested in hearing that at all - no WP no second account even though I was already holding an existing account with SCB - insanity. I was able to open the second account a few years later when working in Thailand. 

The Cashless withdrawal also works well, but its just a bit of a faff.. 

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Exactly the same here... I have two accounts with the same bank. The Card for the 'larger' account remains in the Safe, I have the card for the the 'smaller' account in my wallet and is used regularly and topped up as and when needed with about 20,000 baht. 

When I initially tried to set up this 'safer' method of banking I was not allowed to open a second account as I didn't have a work permit (wasn't working in Thailand) at the time. I poined out that the second account is to make my banking more secure but the Staff at SCB were no interested in hearing that at all - no WP no second account even though I was already holding an existing account with SCB - insanity. I was able to open the second account a few years later when working in Thailand. 

The Cashless withdrawal also works well, but its just a bit of a faff.. 

I had no problem at all by Kasikorn bank for first or second account whiteout a work permit , only for the second i got first the " normal routine" by the girl employee about WP. until I insisted and she checked my account on computer and a small "..oh.. !! (as already then 8 years existing and with that balance ..)escaped from her mouth , and no further problem as I explained number 1 is the one I use for immigration bank balance too , and I would not like that one specially be frauded …. imagine... short before new ext. be robbed , double drama 

The big one is even not on my K+ I only use it home online to load the daily one 

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'll start doing cardless withdrawals again. But if you have a chip on your ATM card it's safe isnt it? i.e. it can't be skimmed

See my previous post. It's only safe if it has no magnetic strip and I never saw those card yet. 

Archived