Thai Driver’s License not considered Valid Form of ID

Had to run into Bangkok Bank about a quick issue with my atm card. Only hd my Thai drivers license. The branch couldn’t help me at all unless I brought my original passport to open the account AND bankbook. 

TIT

In the states, a driver’s license is enough to do anything at a bank. 

On a positive note, they mentioned their branch could help me once I come back with the passport/bankbook rather than send me to the original branch I opened the account at. ????‍♂️????????‍♂️

Good practice by the bank. Been a number of instances recently of funds going missing from bank accounts.

I would be more concerned if your bank did accept a Thai DL to process any actions connected with an  account, particularly ATM card related.

5 minutes ago, dabhand said:

Good practice by the bank. Been a number of instances recently of funds going missing from bank accounts.

I would be more concerned if your bank did accept a Thai DL to process any actions connected with an  account, particularly ATM card related.

I agree. A fake Thai DL can be bought in various places in Bangkok.

20 hours ago, creative1000 said:

In the states

I might be going out on a limb here, but assuming that everything in a foreign country will be done exactly like your home country is going to lead to a lot of frustration... 

I knew many Thai in USA... they weren't wandering around annoyed that there was no 20 baht noodle soup... 

if you want to live somewhere different, maybe the simple knowledge that it is going to be different will help...

good luck... 

41 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

The Pink Card ???? is a most valid form of ID and I have never had to produce my passport at a bank unless it's to open an account. 

wow, so unique. I just stick my BKB cash card in an ATM and never show my passport either.

I must be special too.

I use my driving license for some things at Bangkok bank like cashing a cheque. but for withdrawals and atm card issues you have always needed the ID you set up the account with.

That is why when you get a new passport you should notify them and get the details changed.

To make a new passport, my embassy wouldn’t accept my expired drivers license from 2017 as a valid form of identification and I had to go make a Thai drivers license which they accepted and I was able to make a new 10 year passport.

21 hours ago, creative1000 said:

I can agree that account security is critical, but really wish there was a wallet sized gov’t approved ID card I could carry. Don’t want to carry my passport around daily on the off chance i need to use it

It's required by law FYI. 

3 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

The Pink Card ???? is a most valid form of ID and I have never had to produce my passport at a bank unless it's to open an account. 

What if you had an account then wanted to draw some funds from your home country bank, you would need a passport then, well I do anyway.

I would also bet that my pink ID card would not be accepted.

45 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

If your ban will not accept the Thai Drivers Licence my advice is "Change Banks"

All banks are under instruction now to accept only a Thai ID card or a passport. There is even a sign up in my Krungsri branch to that effect. My home branch know me well, but it's still passport only from now on.

23 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I agree. A fake Thai DL can be bought in various places in Bangkok.

Thais use their ID card to prove their identity. These can also be bought in various places in Bangkok.

Your Thai driving license has your passport number, your picture and your address on it. The bank already holds that information so as long as the two match up there should be no issue with using a Thai driving license as ID.

22 hours ago, creative1000 said:

I can agree that account security is critical, but really wish there was a wallet sized gov’t approved ID card I could carry. Don’t want to carry my passport around daily on the off chance i need to use it

You can apply for a yellow Tabian Bahn which allows you to get a Thai ID card. Believe that is good for ID etc.

I keep a copy of the picture page, the Visa page, entry stamp page, and TM30 of my passport folded in qtrs and in a small ziplock plastic bag next to my wallet in my pocket.  So far, this (I also produce my 5yr DL automatically) has been enough for Bangkok Bank near my house here in CM. Saves wear and tear on the passport.

On 11/22/2019 at 12:24 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Of course it's not. Doesn't have your valid visa on it. I still have my Thai drivers licence but no visa.

In the States an American wouldn't need a visa.

What was OK before no longer applies.

and dont forget the  blood  and stool  sample

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Thais use their ID card to prove their identity. These can also be bought in various places in Bangkok.

Your Thai driving license has your passport number, your picture and your address on it. The bank already holds that information so as long as the two match up there should be no issue with using a Thai driving license as ID.

Does the bank know if your visa is valid? That's why a passport is necessary.

On 11/22/2019 at 12:24 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Of course it's not. Doesn't have your valid visa on it. I still have my Thai drivers licence but no visa.

In the States an American wouldn't need a visa.

What was OK before no longer applies.

I use a credit card size copy of passport page and current visa extension on the back in a clear sealed wallet. I use it in hotels and have used it for police requests etc. 

Never carry my passport with me unless away a few days. Have driving license with me but most hotels will not it accept anymore!!

Archived