Thai Driver’s License not considered Valid Form of ID

9 hours ago, cracker1 said:

If your ban will not accept the Thai Drivers Licence my advice is "Change Banks"

Good luck. Try Krungthai :cheesy:

Recent thread about new rule that only Thai ID card or foreign passport are valid for identification.

2 hours ago, LUNG JIM MAE RIM said:

My Bangkok Bank branch in Chiang Mai explained that Immigration has very recently instructed them to check for valid visa in passport -- for all transactions.

Use their ATM card if you're on overstay.

I transfer my money in using Transferwise, then between bank accounts using their phone app, then take the money out with an ATM card. Cash deposits, in the machine outside the banks as well.

The bank never need to see me, my passport, or my VISA.

Only time I ever go in the bank is for my home loan repayments, no ID with me and they've never turned me and my cash repayments away, but I'm perfectly OK if they don't want to take the money.

To open up an account, you must have the original passport but to make small withdrawals, I have always used my Thai driving licence without any problem at Bangkok Bank.

It is crazy to bring your bulky passport everytime you want to do a withdrawal. It increases the risk of losing your importan passport which would be a pain in the ass to replace.

If that branch doesn't accept Thai driving licence, I always go to another branch and they will accept it.

On 11/22/2019 at 12:27 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

PS Unless it was my local branch and they knew me I always used my passport, and it's been possible to use a passport at any other branch of Bkk Bank in the country for years.

If it's a different province they'll charge you commission on any withdrawal.

My local branch where at least one member of staff has known me for more than 15 yrs still need my passport for I D and rightly so.

13 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

I believe you have to get a yellow house book first, then you can be issued a Thai foreigner ID card. Pink

Can be a lengthy process.

About 3 weeks in all for yellow book, 15 min for pink card. both have been refused as ID for me anywhere and so far both been proved useless, even TRAT T/O ???? refused to accept it.

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Use their ATM card if you're on overstay.

I transfer my money in using Transferwise, then between bank accounts using their phone app, then take the money out with an ATM card. Cash deposits, in the machine outside the banks as well.

The bank never need to see me, my passport, or my VISA.

Only time I ever go in the bank is for my home loan repayments, no ID with me and they've never turned me and my cash repayments away, but I'm perfectly OK if they don't want to take the money.

If you read the OP he had issues with his ATM card !   are you on overstay then ?

On 11/23/2019 at 9:16 AM, phutoie2 said:

wow, so unique. I just stick my BKB cash card in an ATM and never show my passport either.

I must be special too.

Try doing Foreign exchange at a bank in a ATM machine,

there are more things to do at a bank than use ATM,

where ID is required.

regards worgeordie

My atm card pin got locked 3 times this week.

Produced my Thai licence on the first and second visit, then the third time they insisted on a passport, each time they blamed me even with staff present when at the atm machine to check its fixed, they then issued me with a new card still putting the blame my way and even charged me for the new card.

Inconsistency and poorly trained fools! 

18 hours ago, LUNG JIM MAE RIM said:

My Bangkok Bank branch in Chiang Mai explained that Immigration has very recently instructed them to check for valid visa in passport -- for all transactions.

The next level will be to ask the banks to check our figerprint ????

whether some like it or not I think that at the time the Taksin(s) governments seemed to me
less xenophobic???? attentive to expats.????

But it is true that it could cause a real problems of the few hundred thousand ????still in overstay!

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

My local branch where at least one member of staff has known me for more than 15 yrs still need my passport for I D and rightly so.

My local banks have known me for years ,never ask for id ,mind you when paying the electricity bill at bic c they want my passport ,just tell the wife to give her id card ,as for the pink card and yellow book . ,yes not much use ,but the wife did all the paperwork i just sat there signed stuff and kept quiet, just do what "she who must be obayed" says????

On 11/23/2019 at 11:01 AM, cracker1 said:

If your ban will not accept the Thai Drivers Licence my advice is "Change Banks"

Don't forget to take your passport with you (for ID) when you start touring the banks looking for one that will open an account for you!

????

On 11/23/2019 at 10:10 AM, lust said:

To make a new passport, my embassy wouldn’t accept my expired drivers license from 2017 as a valid form of identification and I had to go make a Thai drivers license which they accepted and I was able to make a new 10 year passport.

That's because your expired licence wasn't valid!

8 hours ago, twizzian said:

My atm card pin got locked 3 times this week.

Produced my Thai licence on the first and second visit, then the third time they insisted on a passport, each time they blamed me even with staff present when at the atm machine to check its fixed, they then issued me with a new card still putting the blame my way and even charged me for the new card.

Inconsistency and poorly trained fools! 

Which bank is it that charges for replacement ATM cards?

5 minutes ago, lust said:
27 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

That's because your expired licence wasn't valid!

Wow, amazing that you were able to figure that Sherlock..

The poster that I was responding to didn't seem to understand that he needed valid ID, did he, so maybe you should address your remarkably amusing comment to him?

10 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

The poster that I was responding to didn't seem to understand that he needed valid ID, did he, so maybe you should address your remarkably amusing comment to him?

You seem confused. Let me explain for you.

Yes, its expired. But the Canadian government would rather see a foreign Thai ID which is easily faked here, over an ID issued from its own country, which is nearly impossible to fake... Understand?

right now to the op you are correct that in the US you can use your dl for id    this is all changing as of oct 1 2020  because of the patriot act   as of that date you cannot enter a gov facility or check in at the airport and many other things like financial transactions  if you do not have a passport or a verified dl or gov id  if your dl has not been thru the verify program it is only valid as a dl  cannot be used as id    I was in the states in oct  and renewed my dl thru the verify program  they have a list of documentation that you must provide to prove that the address on your license is truly your residence    you must provide 4  2 of which are a must like birth certificate ss statement showing your ss number and address   ss card ect  the others are like registration for car  property tax bill electric bill  etc    you cannot get your dl at the that time at dmv   as before on renewal  they have to mail it to the address on your license      when you receive it will have a symbol in the right hand corner that it has been verified and now can be used as ID    I was staying at my sons house I did not realize any of this until I asked where is the nearest dmv  and he said hey  DAD  it has all changed    for all the us guys out there heads up  

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Which bank is it that charges for replacement ATM cards?

An SCB ATM outside the Central Festival office ripped a strip of plastic out of my fairly new ATM card (old mag stripe card replaced with a chipped card). Their security guard said it had been doing that for days. They demanded B200 to replace it.

16 hours ago, lust said:
16 hours ago, Just Weird said:

You seem confused. Let me explain for you.

Yes, its expired. But the Canadian government would rather see a foreign Thai ID which is easily faked here, over an ID issued from its own country, which is nearly impossible to fake... Understand?

You try to understand this; a valid ID was required by the Embassy, you didn't have on, so you got one, a valid one, which was accepted.  Fake Thai driving licences are not easily available here, Canadian ones are though.

By the way, if you had presented a fake Thai DL to the Embassy it would have been easily recognised as a fake by the Thai staff that are employed by the Embassy!

12 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

You try to understand this; a valid ID was required by the Embassy, you didn't have on, so you got one, a valid one, which was accepted.  Fake Thai driving licences are not easily available here, Canadian ones are though.

By the way, if you had presented a fake Thai DL to the Embassy it would have been easily recognised as a fake by the Thai staff that are employed by the Embassy!

Lol, not worth my time arguing with you. Your posts always go against the grain on this forum, though and you are a serial “confused” emoticon user. Nearly ever post you use “confused”. Your username is quite fitting for you. 

I can understand the passport for things like opening or accessing an account. Seems fair enough, but earlier this year Krung Thai bank started asking for passport when I went in to pay my credit card bill. They never used to asked for anything and I asked if driving license was ok. Absolutely not they said. Why do you need my passport or any kind of id for me to pay a bill??? Total nonsense. 

Archived