Credit Card Alert And Debit Card Query

OCCASIONALLY I USE MY HOME COUNTRY MASTER CAR PLATINUM SERIES.

At Big C recently after my wife provided her acccount card ,I offered my Bangkok Bank  Debit card.I have had their cards for nearly 30 years in Chiang Mai and Mukdahan.Amazing ly it was declined,one point is they DO NOT USE the accepted usage of PIN NUMBER authorisation.The check out operator could not explain why???. HOWEVER  I offered my Mastercard,which she processed in the machine, and handed it back,  transaction complete.

SO am I at RISK.No pin number was requested and no signature.So am I at risk??

It seems to me that operators have no understanding of pin usage, and any signature is never checked with that shown on reverse of my cards./  How can this process be legal     Vince

41 minutes ago, ttl said:

offered my Bangkok Bank  Debit card.I have had their cards for nearly 30 years in Chiang Mai and Mukdahan.Amazing ly it was declined,one point is they DO NOT USE the accepted usage of PIN NUMBER authorisation.

I don't know of any reason that you could not use a BKKB debit card to make a purchase at Big C... depending on various things.

What kind of debit card do you have from BKKB -- Visa, MC or UnionPay?

Whichever it is, in general, you have to have the settings for your specific card set to allow POS or Point of Sale transactions, which basically means the swipe and sign type of purchase. You'd also have to set a daily limit for total POS per day that your card will allow.

Once you do that, the Thai debit cards generally can be used to make purchases just via the swipe and sign method up to some certain purchase amount.... Beyond that, the store may ask for other things like a signature or PIN or whatever.

One down side of Thai debit cards, however, is that the card holder is basically responsible for ANY and ALL charges made to the card up to the point you notify your bank that the card has been lost or stolen. Even if it's NOT you actually using the card, which can make them a very convenient option for thieves. And as you hopefully know, the store clerks here do little to nothing to check ID or signatures or anything else most of the time.

So at least for me personally, I usually choose to turn off the POS setting on my Thai debit cards or set the maximum daily amount to a very low amount...and instead use my home country cards that are fully protected against fraud as long as I report any problem as soon as I become aware of it (that's the U.S. law for such things).

PS - If you call BKKB customer service, they have EN speaking staff, and can help you know and understand what are the current point of sale purchase settings on your card, and make any adjustments as desired.

During my years burning through thousands of US dollars in easy credit in the US, I don't recall my card signature being checked ever.

As for PIN entry here in Thailand, if the POS equipment offers the option to skip that authorization, despite your card provider assuring you of 100% chip-and-PIN security, the vendor will skip it since, as Maestro pointed out, any dispute resolution is ultimately determined under the terms of the private contract between the card holder and the card issuer.

I particularly like being asked to sign the POS receipts where it clearly states 'No Signature Required'. Gives me a feeling of being wanted.

Archived