Bigger cause of expats leaving...

What will cause more expats over age 50 to exit?  

400 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, moontang said:

Notice I rarely post in this forum, where most are whining about TM30..complied three years ago, never a problem since.  While many more are whining about the 800k...had mine here at age 42.  And obtained yellow book four years ago, without buying a house for a prossie.  So now some clowns are accusing me of scaremongering..while a few posted 100 tearful times about being forced to deal with an agent, because they didn't have the resources to obtain a Visa good for two years before they arrived...and even more are simply touts for Visa agents...of which I have not used in 22 years of trips here..Now, that I am within two months of an extension, I am attempting to get to the bottom of the situation, as I have always been 100% legal.  And, yes, there are credible reports that my local IO, which has been 10 times better than CM, is indeed requiring the proof of insurance.  

There is no denying people are hitting the exits.  Exchange rate might even be number one.  Obviously way fewer Euro and Oz here.  But, meanwhile, there is so much empathy for posters on here, denied and rejected, telling their stories with thick Russian and middle eastern accents..but they had a Canadian passport...Meanwhile, I try to compare notes and survey the situation, and I am scaremongering?  

Have you actually heard of someone on a non o extension being required to have insurance? I only heard the one who came to the airport on a ME O. 

8 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Have you actually heard of someone on a non o extension being required to have insurance? I only heard the one who came to the airport on a ME O. 

The post about Nonthaburi caught my eye...did you see it?

• Haha 1

For me after almost 20 years, it is income and the diabolical current exchange rate. Having a non-O retirement visa, mandatory medical insurance is not an issue for me (yet!). My problem is income. I will never be able to show 800,000 baht in the bank, and up until now have relied on, and have been granted my visa extension based on, monthly income and the UK's "proof of income" letter (65,000 baht per month). However in March next year who knows what will happen - monthly income confirmed by my bank? 

3 minutes ago, anterian said:

I renewed my Retirement visa last week in Nonthaburi and nothing was said about insurance. Perhaps he looked at my age, coming up to 84, and realised there was no chance. 

Was your application for extension of stay based on an original OA - retirement Visa, or on an O Visa - retirement?

You can normally check at first page of your passport, which of the two categories it was.

If it was an O type Visa there is no health-insurance requirement for that type.

However if it was an OA type Visa please provide additional details.

Thanks!

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, anterian said:

I renewed my Retirement visa last week in Nonthaburi and nothing was said about insurance. Perhaps he looked at my age, coming up to 84, and realised there was no chance. 

was that based on an OA?

1 minute ago, globalspark said:

I would think cost of living is far to high mainly due to the high baht.  Secondly insurance which is affordable. thirdly the 800000 baht for the visa each year. I live in Australia and come and go as I please here but frankly i live cheaper in Australia with better quality of  food and wine.   Good red wine in Australia is around $10AUD  and a carton of beer is around $35-$45. 

I love my food  and the cold cuts cheese olives are a fraction of cost  of Thailand.

A very good friend of mine who is very wealth had to go back to Europe for specialized treatment  which was just not affordable here.

I love to come to Thailand and having dental treatment is far cheaper here but the gloss is certainly  wearing off.

I do not  have the answers to the problems but the Government trying to devalue the baht would be a step in the right direction. Leaving the retirement rules alone would also help  and trying to find affordable insurance  would be good.  Does the Thai Government really want  pensioners  living in Thailand? I very much doubt it as the Chinese and Indian tour groups look far more attractive.

A high value baht doesn't impact domestic consumption so cost of living shouldn't be impacted, if anything, imports become cheaper as a result. But imported Western goods have always been heavily taxed here hence the high cost you are seeing for wine etc.

1 hour ago, reargunnerph3 said:

Is there Insurance for over 70's available? Over 80's? or are they required to leave?

I'm assuming that it is the case that they would have to leave, maybe even younger. Life expectancy at birth in Thailand now is still roughly about 6 years less than in the UK, 75 vs 81, thankfully a good improvement for Thailand, as going back to the 60's it was a massive difference, 56 Vs 73 in the year I was born. 73 vs 80 the year we were married. (https://countryeconomy.com/)

Since they are Thai designed policies, I would imagine they would use Thai actuary data for a Thai national, under which perhaps people would be shown as past the domestic life expectancy rate? (in contrast to a home country view).

Circumstances may prevail, that continuously maintaining a policy in Thailand is either not sensible or even possible.

Edited by UKresonant

I do not understand this with no claims of insurance for these with O-visa, but on the other hand I have never understood Thai logic. Let me explain. If you have an o-visa, you must have 400,000 Baht locked in a Thai account. Who will unlock it to pay your hospital bill if you are unconscious or have fallen into a coma and what happens if the money in the account is not enough for the treatment? Does it end then and you get kicked out for not meeting the requirement anymore? Of course, the same question applies if you have insurance and the cost is more than 400 000 Baht.

1 minute ago, Parsve said:

I do not understand this with no claims of insurance for these with O-visa, but on the other hand I have never understood Thai logic. Let me explain. If you have an o-visa, you must have 400,000 Baht locked in a Thai account. Who will unlock it to pay your hospital bill if you are unconscious or have fallen into a coma and what happens if the money in the account is not enough for the treatment? Does it end then and you get kicked out for not meeting the requirement anymore? Of course, the same question applies if you have insurance and the cost is more than 400 000 Baht.

Have you not noticed that they don't think things through? also how about pre-existing conditions? deductibles? none of it makes sense

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Have you not noticed that they don't think things through? also how about pre-existing conditions? deductibles? none of it makes sense

I have and that is why I say that I have never understand thai logic.

1 hour ago, gamini said:

Bar girls are getting too expensive

Yes not only bars girls. I have not been in Thailand for 5 months. Went to Makro. Like eat lam.

5 months ago lam shoulder cost 375 baht. Today 570 baht.

Small amount of green in big c today 15 baht. 5 mount ago 10 baht.

No need to continue.

If it was good immigration rules, not polluted..... I would not much mind. But live in skit and pay more than in Europe it sounds to much for me. In one months go to Vietnam

• Like 1