Bigger cause of expats leaving...

What will cause more expats over age 50 to exit?  

400 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Those that are already having problems meeting the financial requirements will be in trouble with the insurance requirement.  So the answer is a combination of both.

Maybe agents will be able to help with both???  Never used one myself.

9 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

Even self paying here at Bangkok Hospital, the cost is much cheaper than if I had to pay out of pocket in the US. 

I'm starting to question this now.  I just got back from Bumrungrad to have a small skin lesion removed and sent to the lab for biopsy (with a few stitches).  The total cost was 18,000 baht.  I had the same done (several times) in Hawaii and it was less than that. 

I think the prices at certain hospitals here have gone way up lately although they did provide excellent service, the place was clean and they had some beautiful nurses (which is more than I could say for the hospitals where I come from).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tracyb said:

I’m thinking out loud here so, bear with me.....

I wonder if the insurance requirement for O-A folks really IS a pilot program.  Not that The Cabinet will, perhaps in the future, cancel this exercise but rather, once the insurance industry figures out how to manage the influx of applications and wades through the O-A folks, the carriers will give the nod and THEN Cabinet will open the requirement for the O Visa folks.  In that way, the insurance companies won’t suffer a logjam in processing applications and cause the whole system to break down and....they’ll have the opportunity to evaluate the market and adjust premium costs.

What do you think?

I know neither the thinking of the Thai government or the process involved but I would bet and seriously believe that the insurance requirement will be extended to Non-O visas sometime next year. I will be doing my forward planning based on that assumption.

David

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Genericnic said:

I know neither the thinking of the Thai government or the process involved but I would bet and seriously believe that the insurance requirement will be extended to Non-O visas sometime next year. I will be doing my forward planning based on that assumption.

David

Unfortunately, and I hate to admit this but I have to agree.  I too am preparing myself for the eventuality that I will soon have to make a choice between buying another health insurance policy (just to be able to stay here in Thailand) or refuse to do so and leave LOS for good.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DUNROAMIN said:

I believe this is just the tip of the ice berg, by the end of 2020, ALL expats here will be made to get Thai health insurance regardless of visa type. This decision for Thai health insurance just didn't happen overnight, or was introduced to bail out hospitals with outstanding debt by Expats. Did anybody see written proof the all expats living here racked up all these bills. Who do you think owns all the nominated Thai health insurance companies? This was well planned by the government and all the Thai elite families who really run this country. Think about it, what would you do to raise profits to keep your company afloat. Thailand has always run on corruption and will never change its their way of life here.

That's my spin on it. 

The crackdown on the liar letters was several years in the making, and this may just be a continuation of that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

I'm starting to question this now.  I just got back from Bumrungrad to have a small skin lesion removed and sent to the lab for biopsy (with a few stitches).  The total cost was 18,000 baht.  I had the same done (several times) in Hawaii and it was less than that. 

I think the prices at certain hospitals here have gone way up lately although they did provide excellent service, the place was clean and they had some beautiful nurses (which is more than I could say for the hospitals where I come from).

i had the same thing done .....  at two different places.    Cost at each approx 1500 baht

this was in CM.   Not at the most expensive hospital, but both done without problems

• Confused 1

If the number of you tube videos and posts on thaivisa  about how little you can live on in Thailand is any indication-scraping together the minimum bank account balance I think is going to be more challenging for most people. I saw a YOu tube video yesterday about a couple documenting living on a $600/mo budget in Chiang mai for a months. Lots of comments that people were living on way less than that. Even with the caveat that this was a one month experiment and the couple normally live on US$1000/month puts them at half the required monthly income they need to show. 

I think the new insurance requirement works out to be 2,500-3,000 a month to meet the minimum. So, if we take this couple as an example, is it easier to come up with US$100 or US$1000/mo?

2 minutes ago, Onrai said:

If the number of you tube videos and posts on thaivisa  about how little you can live on in Thailand is any indication-scraping together the minimum bank account balance I think is going to be more challenging for most people. I saw a YOu tube video yesterday about a couple documenting living on a $600/mo budget in Chiang mai for a months. Lots of comments that people were living on way less than that. Even with the caveat that this was a one month experiment and the couple normally live on US$1000/month puts them at half the required monthly income they need to show. 

I think the new insurance requirement works out to be 2,500-3,000 a month to meet the minimum. So, if we take this couple as an example, is it easier to come up with US$100 or US$1000/mo?

That guy is simply another <deleted> making money off selling the dream.  I think he has a video interview of every known conman in CM..Nimman is worse than a Chinese strip mall.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rumak said:

i had the same thing done .....  at two different places.    Cost at each approx 1500 baht

this was in CM.   Not at the most expensive hospital, but both done without problems

Yea lesson learned on that one.

I have insurance which covers me at Bumrungrad but my out of pocket co-pay was considerably higher than 1500 baht (not including travel and hotel for one night).  At least I'm registered there and have a Bumrungrad ID card now (which makes the registration process quick and easy should I need to go there for something more serious next time).

Edited by MeePeeMai
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tracyb said:

I’m thinking out loud here so, bear with me.....

I wonder if the insurance requirement for O-A folks really IS a pilot program.  Not that The Cabinet will, perhaps in the future, cancel this exercise but rather, once the insurance industry figures out how to manage the influx of applications and wades through the O-A folks, the carriers will give the nod and THEN Cabinet will open the requirement for the O Visa folks.  In that way, the insurance companies won’t suffer a logjam in processing applications and cause the whole system to break down and....they’ll have the opportunity to evaluate the market and adjust premium costs.

What do you think?

They are steering people towards the non imm O where they can maximise their baht via agents, it's that simple

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

They are steering people towards the non imm O where they can maximise their baht via agents, it's that simple

FWIW I think Tracyb's post above is spot on, that's exactly what's happening.

But I also think the motivation of Immi. in all of this is to get everyone into the right visa category, I don't believe there's a financial incentive to them in this although there certainly is to the insurance industry.

Separately....whilst I think the current program may well be extended to other visa types I'm not sure it will extend to people married to Thai's, I think they may draw the line there, just as they will draw the line with Elite visa also.

Edited by saengd
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, saengd said:

FWIW I think Tracyb's post above is spot on, that's exactly what's happening.

But I also think the motivation of Immi. in all of this is to get everyone into the right visa category, I don't believe there's a financial incentive to them in this although there certainly is to the insurance industry.

Separately....whilst I think the current program may well be extended to other visa types I'm not sure it will extend to people married to Thai's, I think they may draw the line there, just as they will draw the line with Elite visa also.

I'm guessing people married to Thais think they won't include that visa, if they do eventually include O then makes sense to include those married to Thais. I don't think they will require O to have insurance but we all have different views

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm guessing people married to Thais think they won't include that visa, if they do eventually include O then makes sense to include those married to Thais. I don't think they will require O to have insurance but we all have different views

Sorry, I should have said O visa for retirement purposes will probably be included but O visa for marriage will not, IMHO.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tracyb said:

What do you think?

Since a Non-Imm-O only gives a permission of stay of 90 days I do not expect it to obligate a  one -year insurance policy, perhaps a travel policy. I would expect it to be easier to simply apply it to all 12 month extensions.

• Like 1