Bigger cause of expats leaving...

What will cause more expats over age 50 to exit?  

400 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Since a Non-Imm-O only gives a permission of stay of 90 days I do not expect it to obligate a  one -year insurance policy, perhaps a travel policy. I would expect it to be easier to simply apply it to all 12 month extensions.

A non-O based on marriage is just as capable of being extended for one year at a time as an O-A.

1 minute ago, saengd said:

Can't agree at all! For many if not most it's a question of being made to buy an expensive insurance policy that has little or no benefit and the fact that existing overseas policies are disallowed. I hold overseas health insurance, I've held it for a long time and the policy will be renewed each year, because of the length of time I've held it my pre-existing conditions don't exist as far as they are concerned. Contrast that with the new required policy that won't insure most parts of my body because they are all deemed to be pre-existing conditions. Why should I have to buy their policy! In a few years time I'll be paying a seriously lot of money in premiums for the overseas insurance I can use and a lot of money in premiums for insurance here that I can't use.

Are you on an OA Visa? If you are and you cannot or will not meet the requirements then you will no longer be eligible to stay in Thailand.If you are not on an OA visa then the insurance requirements do not apply to you. Lets not cloud the issue by trying to guess what might happen in the future. It is pointless to do so and makes a lot of people nervous and stressful for no good reason.

I have read many post where it seems some people think they should have the insurance and indicate they are leaving Thailand when in reality they don’t. Speculation just causes confusion.

4 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Are you on an OA Visa? If you are and you cannot or will not meet the requirements then you will no longer be eligible to stay in Thailand.If you are not on an OA visa then the insurance requirements do not apply to you. Lets not cloud the issue by trying to guess what might happen in the future. It is pointless to do so and makes a lot of people nervous and stressful for no good reason.

I have read many post where it seems some people think they should have the insurance and indicate they are leaving Thailand when in reality they don’t. Speculation just causes confusion.

Nobody is speculating about anything.

You said it's a money issue, I disagreed and explained why.

Yes I'm on an O-A visa extension based on retirement since 2004 but by next week I'll be on an O visa based on marriage.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, saengd said:

Nobody is speculating about anything.

You said it's a money issue, I disagreed and explained why.

Yes I'm on an O-A visa extension based on retirement since 2004 but by next week I'll be on an O visa based on marriage.

Next week you will have nothing to worry about re insurance. No reason many other people cannot change to an O visa as well, which is what I said in a previous post.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

wondering what might happen when every other visa type, except yours, gets changed virtually overnight is EXACTLY the type of thing one should be worrying about.

take that fear, harness it and make a solid plan B. you know, just in case.

What changes have occurred? Money in the bank- agreed. Insurance for OA holders- agreed. But not much else for people who are sufficiently funded or didn’t lie to their embassy about their alleged income and cannot meet the money in the bank or 65k income imported monthly. By all reports the TM 30 is dying a slow death and will quietly disappear.

Also agree about a plan B but that applies to anything in life.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

I'm starting to question this now.  I just got back from Bumrungrad to have a small skin lesion removed and sent to the lab for biopsy (with a few stitches).  The total cost was 18,000 baht.  I had the same done (several times) in Hawaii and it was less than that. 

I think the prices at certain hospitals here have gone way up lately although they did provide excellent service, the place was clean and they had some beautiful nurses (which is more than I could say for the hospitals where I come from).

There are still medical "bargains" here that make Thailand preferable to the US. Frankly, the main reason I stay, here, is medically based. I have a vestibular problem. It was not diagnosed properly at Bumrungrad--after spending 35,000 baht via insurance and 20,000 baht out of pocket, at the time. But it was diagnosed and treated successfully at the Eye Ear Nose Throat Hospital near Pinklao for 4600 baht out of pocket. Ongoing checkups every two months for 560 baht; meds bought at P&F in Central Pinklao about 1500 baht per month. In the US, I would have been made bankrupt. Kept on the Bumrungrad hamster wheel, I would have eventually been forced to pay large out of pocket expenses. But finding the right physician and efficient treatment is still a plus for living in Thailand. Forcing me into a scam insurance policy that of course will exclude my ongoing need for meds and end up being useless is the new part of the equation that just may tip the scales away from Thailand's favor.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

I'm starting to question this now.  I just got back from Bumrungrad to have a small skin lesion removed and sent to the lab for biopsy (with a few stitches).  The total cost was 18,000 baht.  I had the same done (several times) in Hawaii and it was less than that. 

I think the prices at certain hospitals here have gone way up lately although they did provide excellent service, the place was clean and they had some beautiful nurses (which is more than I could say for the hospitals where I come from).

Which hospital in Hawaii?  Did you pay 100% for the cost or VA, etc?  Just curious.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes better to not buy until things quieten down a bit. Imagine if they brought in compulsory insurance, who would buy a property knowing insurance can be 200k a year in 75-80 range

That would be the end 200k premium to get 400k of cover.

5 hours ago, saengd said:

Can't agree at all! For many if not most it's a question of being made to buy an expensive insurance policy that has little or no benefit and the fact that existing overseas policies are disallowed. I hold overseas health insurance, I've held it for a long time and the policy will be renewed each year, because of the length of time I've held it my pre-existing conditions don't exist as far as they are concerned. Contrast that with the new required policy that won't insure most parts of my body because they are all deemed to be pre-existing conditions. Why should I have to buy their policy! In a few years time I'll be paying a seriously lot of money in premiums for the overseas insurance I can use and a lot of money in premiums for insurance here that I can't use.

What Visa you got? switch to non o problem sorted

2 hours ago, kurtmartens said:

Which hospital in Hawaii?  Did you pay 100% for the cost or VA, etc?  Just curious.

North Hawaii Community Hospital in Kamuela on the Big Island.  I have medical insurance but I have to pay a co-pay (out of pocket) for each visit.  I get the breakdown on the bill (from my insurance company) a few weeks later in the mail which shows the total cost, the portion my insurance pays and then my portion.

On 11/22/2019 at 4:43 PM, Trolleen said:

And I tell you people get get easy retire in Panama and Costa Rica if the have pension 1000 USA dollar per month. Cost of living much lower than Thailand. 

In Costa Rica and Panama now... and can’t say that this is the case, especially for Costa Rica.  Panama there were a few places that were almost comparable to Thailand in cost terms, but almost everything in Costa Rica is comparable to the US and sometimes more.

I think a comparable lifestyle to US$1,000/month in Panama would be about THB20,000.

On 11/23/2019 at 5:23 AM, kurtmartens said:

It is not the same price as hospitals in the US.  Even self paying here at Bangkok Hospital, the cost is much cheaper than if I had to pay out of pocket in the US.  My lasik was much cheaper, the MRIs I have had to pay for were cheaper, my son's hospital stays all cheaper and my wife's maternity def. cheaper and frankly better care (in the US you are lucky to get more than an overnight stay).

Hum, I new a nurse in charge of the maternity ward in BKK. This was several years ago and the price for a baby was over 6K US. I just looked online and the cost in the US now is a little over 8K. Just curious how much did they charge you and what hospital was it?

Not sure about the MRI's. 

Back then she told me allot of the rich Thai people used the hospital. Movie stars on up. 

Actually I still know her, I will contact her and ask for some prices. She worked there and her salary was around 80K / month and she got a HUGE yearly bonus. Pretty sweet deal for her.

I just went in for a colonoscopy in San Antonio where I live now, and I have to say the service was excellent. Clean and professional. All free with Medicare. Yearly checkup free. Flue shots free. So many free services it is pretty nice. 

Edited by garyk
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, saengd said:

A non-O based on marriage is just as capable of being extended for one year at a time as an O-A.

And? I was in a discussion wrt the possibility of insurance being applied to Non-Imm_O Visas? 

On 11/22/2019 at 5:32 PM, moontang said:

Notice I rarely post in this forum, where most are whining about TM30..complied three years ago, never a problem since.  While many more are whining about the 800k...had mine here at age 42.  And obtained yellow book four years ago, without buying a house for a prossie.  So now some clowns are accusing me of scaremongering..while a few posted 100 tearful times about being forced to deal with an agent, because they didn't have the resources to obtain a Visa good for two years before they arrived...and even more are simply touts for Visa agents...of which I have not used in 22 years of trips here..Now, that I am within two months of an extension, I am attempting to get to the bottom of the situation, as I have always been 100% legal.  And, yes, there are credible reports that my local IO, which has been 10 times better than CM, is indeed requiring the proof of insurance.  

There is no denying people are hitting the exits.  Exchange rate might even be number one.  Obviously way fewer Euro and Oz here.  But, meanwhile, there is so much empathy for posters on here, denied and rejected, telling their stories with thick Russian and middle eastern accents..but they had a Canadian passport...Meanwhile, I try to compare notes and survey the situation, and I am scaremongering?  

Who accussed you of scaremongering? But in general would you agree there is a lot negativity,  rumour mongering, complaints, falsehood, inaccuracy etc sometimes on this forum?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Yes lets get real

it's not only the OA, but also the extension of stay based on an old OA

and it's some thousands of people

so yes we can change for an O visa, do you know the conditions?

One of them is you need to prove the 800 000 bahts come from abroad

most of us have already the 800 000 in a Thai bank, so what to do?

Import 800 000 more from abroad with the actual catastrophic exchange rate?

You present the switch from OA to O as a simple formality

so If you have the solution (Easy and not costly) i am open

as you say, lets get real

If you already have 800k in a Thai bank , what is the problem? A quick trip to say Laos , Myanmar, Vietnam and get your O from there and extend in Thailand. Very easy and certainly not costly if you want to remain living in Thailand.

I think you (and many others) are making excuses for the sake of it. Ok let's put it simply. Comply or not comply with the rules. Stay or leave. Up to you. I couldn't care less. Personally I'm sick of the incessant whining about this issue. Get of your collective bums and do something about it! Presumably you are all adults?

Edited by emptypockets