Bigger cause of expats leaving...

What will cause more expats over age 50 to exit?  

400 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

31 minutes ago, trigpoint said:

What about the over 65,s + on a yearly retirement extension  that one day may have to have compulsory insurance and cannot get cover as no insurance company will offer it at any price. They will be forced out, no choice have they. Maybe go home or to a nearby more foreigner friendly countries. I'm sure they will appreciate the money it costs just to live there.

Worry about that IF it happens

33 minutes ago, trigpoint said:

What about the over 65,s + on a yearly retirement extension  that one day may have to have compulsory insurance and cannot get cover as no insurance company will offer it at any price.

I know it's a good idea to plan in advance but in this case I think: Let's wait and see. As far as I know the insurance conditions are not set yet - but please correct me if I am wrong. I can't imagine that Thailand will demand an insurance with cover for everything with a high amount. Let's look i.e. at typical travel insurances. They only cover acute problems, i.e. they don't cover long existing heart conditions and many other issues. Travel insurance is cheap because it covers little. When Thailand demands insurance I am sure some insurance companies will offer something that is just good enough to cover the conditions - for an acceptable price. But obviously that is just a guess and we will all see what will happen.

What are you worry people . Thai insurance do not cost much money.

I'm 50 years old and have thai insurance company.

I have  hospital coverage 400.000  per year = 15.000 bath per year

Coverage outpatient 40.000 per year= pay 10.000 baht per year.

Total 25.000 baht per year. Can get O-A visa no problem.

If get very sick will take a plane to Europe.

No problem. It good to have some insurance in case of emergency illness

• Haha 1

On 11/22/2019 at 4:31 PM, moontang said:

Bigger cause of expats leaving...

The biggest cause IMHO has nothing to do with visa rules;

it's health problem :sad: and returning home to (try to) be cured.

Edited by Pattaya46

19 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Interesting preface

My best guess is based on 30 years of legal practice, a portion of which was dealing with insurance a government related matters. After a while, you get a sense of what might happen before it does. 

David

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

If you are single - as I am - and 70+ - as I am - they are half way there already. My non-O-A that I have been on extensions for since 2011 now requires the the overpriced, low quality insurance from a Thai company that in no way would cover me as well as the first world insurance I already have.

In January, rather than renew my non-O-A extension, I will be getting a new non-O visa based on retirement from one of the neighboring countries. While I have no more firm information than anyone else, my best guess is that by the end of next year, if not sooner, insurance - most likely the same overpriced, low quality insurance as is now required for non-O-A visas and extensions - will be required for non-O (retirement) visas and their extensions. And, as with the current situation, I don't anticipate any exceptions for people covered by the Thai social security program or by international insurance that is equal to or better than the coverage required now - the main reason being that those exceptions would not bring any money into the Thai insurance companies. 

David

I don't know as I have a Marriage VISA but here is some information to consider. According to this guy at Pacific Cross you can incorporate your current coverage to qualify your current OA. Or you can consider getting the attached form (link provided) filled out by your current insurance carrier. The form requires two corporate "directors" names to be listed and one signatory. This should directly qualify you at your next OA renewal. 

Jamie Connell from Thaivisa Protect / Pacific Cross Insurance For further information 02 401 9171

https://longstay.tgia.org/document/overseas_insurance_certificate.pdf

Edited by Tounge Thaied

4 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

I agree that it is good to have some insurance in case of emergencies. The problem with the required insurance is first, the 400,000 baht is not sufficient and second, the low price you quote will go up significantly as you get older - assuming you can get coverage at all.

In the case of the amount of coverage, I had a relatively routine, non-emergency coronary angioplasty done. The cost - before payment by my first class, international insurance paid - was about 550,000 baht. 

As for your last statement about taking a plane to Europe, there are two problems. First, if you are seriously ill, most airlines will not let you fly. Second, in the case of a true emergency, you probably would not have time to fly back even in the airline would let you.

David

True speaking. I just said that people can get that cheap insurance in order to get a-o visa. People can get coverage to 1.200.000 baht. But it will be cost more. Thai insurance cover people to 80.years of age. Then can stay quiet with no visa and die.

2 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

I don't know as I have a Marriage VISA but here is some information to consider. According to this guy at Pacific Cross you can incorporate your current coverage to qualify your current OA. Consider getting the attached form (link provided) filled out by your current insurance carrier. The form requires two corporate "directors" names to be listed and one signatory. 

Jamie Connell from Thaivisa Protect / Pacific Cross Insurance For further information please contact our customer service representative 02 401 9171

Thai insurance is much more cheap and better choice if you are not very seek. As I said to fulfill ???? requirement for 50 years old man cost 25.000 baht per year. 

1 minute ago, Trolleen said:

Thai insurance is much more cheap and better choice if you are not very seek. As I said to fulfill ???? requirement for 50 years old man cost 25.000 baht per year. 

I actually found this IMG international insurance, with a high deductible, which means I must pay out of pocket to activate the insurance on demand. But I paid 19,000 baht for the basic bronze level coverage which far exceeds Thai insurance. International insurances are still a better deal to simply have emergency coverage to satisfy the insurance requirements for OA. You would then need to get the attached form (link below) completed for your next OA renewal. 

4 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

Obviously the guy you talked to at Pacific Cross has no idea of how insurance companies work in the rest of the world. Your chances of getting two directors and the mysterious "Authorized signature" to sign the form have a probability approaching zero. If it were that easy, I would have done it.

David

As I pointed out in the first sentence. I DON'T KNOW. Here is the conversation anyone interested can learn about for themselves. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trolleen said:

Requirement for O-A inpatient care 400.000

Outpatient care 40.000

It will make 25.000 baht per year for a man between 50-54.

You will get Thai insurance card which you can show to immigration

That is an easy option for that age group for sure. The issue comes with the older folks and anyone with Pre-existing health conditions that often excludes them from cover. Thus if they already have a coverage plan they have been with for many years, that plan will still qualify them if they can present the following form to the OA immigration officer. 

31 minutes ago, Trolleen said:

True speaking. I just said that people can get that cheap insurance in order to get a-o visa. People can get coverage to 1.200.000 baht. But it will be cost more. Thai insurance cover people to 80.years of age. Then can stay quiet with no visa and die.

Sad but true statement. Retirees approaching the 80 years mark at this point in time should prepare to shift their 800,000 baht from the "retirement" VISA or the "Retirement" extension of stay to the Elite VISA. Adding 200,000 baht to purchase the 20 year Thai Elite VISA will cover your VISA needs until you are dead. 

19 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

As I pointed out in the first sentence. I DON'T KNOW. Here is the conversation anyone interested can learn about for themselves. 

So, in theory, since I have a foreign policy with unlimited IPD and OPD coverage, I should be able to get a Thai policy with 400k/40k coverage and an unlimited deductible for zero cost. ????

David

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

So, in theory, since I have a foreign policy with unlimited IPD and OPD coverage, I should be able to get a Thai policy with 400k/40k coverage and an unlimited deductible for zero cost. ????

David

It's certainly good to be critical and pessimistic in this endeavour David. The guy in the video seems legit and each person, clearly noted in the video, will have their own unique set of circumstances. 

Anyway it looks like the future will not bring much hope. It does not matter if you are Thai or farang. Thai want to live the country. Many farang do. More likely in the end you want to move somewhere and sell your house. The insurance will be no problem for you

1 hour ago, Genericnic said:

If you are single - as I am - and 70+ - as I am - they are half way there already. My non-O-A that I have been on extensions for since 2011 now requires the the overpriced, low quality insurance from a Thai company that in no way would cover me as well as the first world insurance I already have.

In January, rather than renew my non-O-A extension, I will be getting a new non-O visa based on retirement from one of the neighboring countries. While I have no more firm information than anyone else, my best guess is that by the end of next year, if not sooner, insurance - most likely the same overpriced, low quality insurance as is now required for non-O-A visas and extensions - will be required for non-O (retirement) visas and their extensions. And, as with the current situation, I don't anticipate any exceptions for people covered by the Thai social security program or by international insurance that is equal to or better than the coverage required now - the main reason being that those exceptions would not bring any money into the Thai insurance companies. 

David

Good to see you have a plan in place for the foreseeable future. Many other OA holders could spend their time formulating a similar strategy instead of worrying themselves to death, figuratively speaking.

What happens later with insurance is anyone's guess. I'm not going to stress over something that may or may not happen.

I don't subscribe to the superstition that Thailand wants all farangs out. If that was the case it could be done easily at the stroke of a pen.

I think they (Thai government) know that people with no money in a Thai bank should have some form of insurance, and I don't disagree with that in principle, but I think the implementation has been a little ham fisted and will hopefully sort itself out over the coming months.

From what I have seen the list of the approved insurance companies they don't seem to be exclusively Thai insurance companies at all. More like multinational corporations.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Sad but true statement. Retirees approaching the 80 years mark at this point in time should prepare to shift their 800,000 baht from the "retirement" VISA or the "Retirement" extension of stay to the Elite VISA. Adding 200,000 baht to purchase the 20 year Thai Elite VISA will cover your VISA needs until you are dead. 

I do not think they will buy elite visa. I think they move to neighbour country. Life easy, everything else easy.