Some 7-11 branches to implement 'no plastic bags' policy from Nov 25

snoop1130

Some 7-11 branches to implement 'no plastic bags' policy from Nov 25

By THE NATION

800_00580539be22623.jpg

Convenience store chain “7-11” will stop giving plastic bags to shoppers at 137 pilot branches starting November 25, before implementing the plastic bag policy nationwide on January 1, 2020.

Suwit Kingkaew, senior vice president of sustainable development at CP All Pcl, operator of the 7-11 chain in Thailand, said on Friday (Nov. 22) that the company was willing to support the government’s policy of reducing the use of plastic bags by joining the “Go Green, No Plastic Bag” campaign with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment earlier this month.

“Starting November 25, CP All will stop giving plastic bags to 7-11 customers at 137 pilot branches scattered nationwide,” he said. “This pilot programme will get us ready to the 'no plastic bag' policy to be employed at the start of next year at all branches of 7-11.”

Suwit further added that the use of plastic bags is still allowed for some products, including hot foods, wet foods, meats and fruit, which is in accordance with Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment’s recommendation.

“The branches that will stop giving plastic bags next week will display posters to let customers know that they should bring their own bags when shopping there,” said Suwit. “If customers don’t have their own bags, 7-11 also sells high-quality fabric bags at a reasonable price."

As part of the “Go Green, No Plastic Bag” campaign, CP All has donated money that they saved from giving fewer plastic bags at 7-11 since August to hospitals nationwide to buy medical equipments.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378637

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-22

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Convenience store chain “7-11” will stop giving plastic bags to shoppers at 137 pilot branches starting November 25, before implementing the plastic bag policy nationwide on January 1, 2020.

This is the first time I've read clearly about any of the big chains policies.

Initially IIRC it said that some major stores were to stop issuing plastic bags next year, but it wasn't clear if it was certain branches of the chains, or all of their branches.

At least we know of 7 Eleven's intention now. Just wait to hear what the other groups will allegedly be doing.

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

including hot foods, wet foods, meats and fruit

So if i buy a banana in a plastic bag i will get an extra plastic bag?

Hard to believe that they won't give customer's plastic bags at all (except for cheese sandwhiches and bananas)

I can't remember the last time I needed a plastic bag from 7/11. I always carry a 15l dry bag when I am on my bike. A few years ago I would usually get a funny look when I turned down a plastic bag, now I always get a smile, so things are definitely changing for the better.

So they seriously think that when I go in there and take out 6 bottles of beer from the refrigerator, bring it up to the counter in a red basket and pay for it, that I am going to be able to carry it out without a bag? I've only got 2 hands guys...

I have around 50 umbrellas because I can't be bothered to carry one of those around, and I have to buy it everytime. You think I'm going to carry around a bag just to buy beer?  These guys have lost the plot. 7-11 is supposed to be for convenience. If it is inconvenient for me, I ain't gonna pay their premium prices, and I'm sure not going to pay for a useless cloth bag every time. If I have to put in the effort to plan for a shopping trip, I definitely won't plan to pay premium prices at a 7-11.

If CP had even a lick of sense, they'd be fighting the government on this policy rather than capitulating. It is going to kill their business model.

Guess I'll be shopping more at Maxxx Walue. Too bad, place in my heart for 7.

Really don't care honestly. I need trash bags for home. This is nothingness. Thailand has such huge trash and sanitation issues. Prolly be worse without trash bags.

If I read just one more article about plastic bags in Thailand I'll scream!!! This topic has been on and off for how long now? Meanwhile, many countries around the world have reduced their plastic bag waste DECADES ago and some countries, like Ireland, have taken further initiatives, where, effective 2021, a 10, 15 or 25 Euro cent fee will be charged for every disposable coffee/tea cup in an effort to reduce the waste created by these single use products. Other countries, Germany being a prime example, charge a "deposit" on glass and plastic bottles. This can in turn be reclaimed by customers when the empty bottles are returned. 

It really feels like the people here are doing too little, too late. 

2 hours ago, fforest1 said:

How many people PLAN ahead of time their 7-11 shopping....

I bet virtually every last person reading this does not PLAN all their 7-11 shopping....

So we carry bags around we us 24/7 now?

An inconvenient convenience store.

Sad. People that see no plastic bags is of critical importance to them. You do have hands and there's these really nifty zip up shopping bags for those that are technologically astute.

Good on 7/11

Homepro has had this for awhile now. Tops also has no bags Tuesday. 

Yet to see anyone leaving stuff behind yet because no bags.

If you can't manage it don't go back to a western country. A very rude shock will be waiting.

4 hours ago, fforest1 said:

How many people PLAN ahead of time their 7-11 shopping....

I bet virtually every last person reading this does not PLAN all their 7-11 shopping....

So we carry bags around we us 24/7 now?

I have 3 cloth bags in my truck all the time and if I am doing a bulk shop I get some more out of the store cupboard.

And yes I do PLAN ahead of time for my shopping including at 7/11 as the nearest is 6 km away. They don't even offer me bags any more as they know I carry my own and have done for years.

36 minutes ago, Toadie said:

Sad. People that see no plastic bags is of critical importance to them. You do have hands and there's these really nifty zip up shopping bags for those that are technologically astute.

Good on 7/11

Homepro has had this for awhile now. Tops also has no bags Tuesday. 

Yet to see anyone leaving stuff behind yet because no bags.

If you can't manage it don't go back to a western country. A very rude shock will be waiting.

Same with Makro. What you put in your trolley is your problem to get home. They do supply thin plastic bags for fresh fruit & veg, fresh fish & meat etc, but anything which is already pre wrapped by the supplier you have to sort out yourself. They do sell bags but my local branch has run out of the cloth bags again.

I even used Makro cloth bags at BigC which got me an odd look, but when I went to the duty manager and suggested that BigC sell cloth bags, I got some smiles and thank yous but it went clear over their heads.

25 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have 3 cloth bags in my truck all the time and if I am doing a bulk shop I get some more out of the store cupboard.

And yes I do PLAN ahead of time for my shopping including at 7/11 as the nearest is 6 km away. They don't even offer me bags any more as they know I carry my own and have done for years.

And for those people who do not have cars? Do you also automatically carry around 3 cloth bags with you whenever you take the skytrain to a business meeting on the off chance you might want to stop at 7-11 on the way home?

If you want to force every retailer to use biodegradable plastic bags, I'd probably get behind that. But that would cost retailers money. So of course, they would fight that. Allowing them to offer no bags to customers saves them money. So as long as everyone is forced to do it, then customer convenience can be ignored in the name of bigger profits. Hence, we get this ridiculous no bag policy, rather than a more rational and practical solution to the issue.

18 minutes ago, Monomial said:

And for those people who do not have cars? Do you also automatically carry around 3 cloth bags with you whenever you take the skytrain to a business meeting on the off chance you might want to stop at 7-11 on the way home?

If you want to force every retailer to use biodegradable plastic bags, I'd probably get behind that. But that would cost retailers money. So of course, they would fight that. Allowing them to offer no bags to customers saves them money. So as long as everyone is forced to do it, then customer convenience can be ignored in the name of bigger profits. Hence, we get this ridiculous no bag policy, rather than a more rational and practical solution to the issue.

Replacemnet bags are on display at 3 baht each. If you cant afford that then its time to be leaving on a jet plane

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Why dont they use paper bags,its very good plastic bags are been phazed

out, the retailers are going to save a lot of money,just more profit.

regards worgeordie

Good point, I have not seen a replace the plastic with paper from anyone just no plastic.

One of the great conveniences of modern times was the introduction of inexpensive plastic bags. The problem is not the bags, it's the proper disposal of trash.

The answer is not to take away the bags but fix the disposal issues! 

Tax sugar drinks, take away our plastic bags, etc. So nice to have governments that take care of our well being! Elites vs lemmings! 

11 hours ago, Monomial said:

So they seriously think that when I go in there and take out 6 bottles of beer from the refrigerator, bring it up to the counter in a red basket and pay for it, that I am going to be able to carry it out without a bag? I've only got 2 hands guys...

I have around 50 umbrellas because I can't be bothered to carry one of those around, and I have to buy it everytime. You think I'm going to carry around a bag just to buy beer?  These guys have lost the plot. 7-11 is supposed to be for convenience. If it is inconvenient for me, I ain't gonna pay their premium prices, and I'm sure not going to pay for a useless cloth bag every time. If I have to put in the effort to plan for a shopping trip, I definitely won't plan to pay premium prices at a 7-11.

If CP had even a lick of sense, they'd be fighting the government on this policy rather than capitulating. It is going to kill their business model.

I think they MAY are some short term negative ... but... I do not think for a minute that they will suffer any measurable long term negative... given that this “no plastic bag” policy appears to be both a formal government initiative AND that it also appears to follow a common and growing larger social movement, the one who I think are in danger if you will, are those that DONT move to a no plastic bag policy.

sure, there will be some who will either vocally protest or perhaps even move their spending to a competitor..... but .. IMHO, given 7-Elevens ubiquitous position and market saturation, I think that this risk of consumer revolt is near zero in the medium to longer term.

Archived