Some 7-11 branches to implement 'no plastic bags' policy from Nov 25

snoop1130

13 hours ago, fforest1 said:

How many people PLAN ahead of time their 7-11 shopping....

I bet virtually every last person reading this does not PLAN all their 7-11 shopping....

So we carry bags around we us 24/7 now?

Why not ?   Why should non-Thais be any different ?    At least if you have to buy one each time you will be benefiting local hospitals.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, onekoolguy said:

One of the great conveniences of modern times was the introduction of inexpensive plastic bags. The problem is not the bags, it's the proper disposal of trash.

The answer is not to take away the bags but fix the disposal issues! 

Tax sugar drinks, take away our plastic bags, etc. So nice to have governments that take care of our well being! Elites vs lemmings! 

Same with gun. Gun don't kill people, people do. Such a simple problem! 

5 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Why not ?   Why should non-Thais be any different ?    At least if you have to buy one each time you will be benefiting local hospitals.

If you believe the CP group is some kind of charity organization keep drinking the kool-aid...And I can say I just gave a billion dollars to hospitals yesterday....Does not mean I did.... 

3 minutes ago, nausea said:

Makro

Makro is the shop that sells your "free" plastic bags to Mum & Dad shops and the market and roadside stalls, they are not the saviours. Has anyone seen their rows of disposable plastic ware?

13 minutes ago, nausea said:

Makes commercial sense (which is, I guess, why Makro does it) and good for the environment, not very often these two factors coincide. Dammit, now I'm gonna have to find a new way to feel all holy and virtuous.

Makro and 7-11 are 2 very different animals...

13 hours ago, Amusements said:

I can't remember the last time I needed a plastic bag from 7/11. I always carry a 15l dry bag when I am on my bike. A few years ago I would usually get a funny look when I turned down a plastic bag, now I always get a smile, so things are definitely changing for the better.

Same here, but they still sometimes offer/ask if I need a plastic spoon for yogurt.   As I shop in a small local town some of the staff recognise me and don't even offer a bag/s or spoons.   I buy little from 7/11 and why do I need a plastic bag to carry toilet rolls which are already plastic wrapped. 

In my 70's I take the extra opportunity for exercise, by walking to my local market 3km away a couple of times each week with a small backpack.   I have plastic bags for fruit / veg and don't use an extra bag for things like cooked corn.    If I buy bread I can recycle that bag for kitchen waste etc.  

A plastic bag takes little space, just think how much clutter you may already have with a phone etc. so you wouldn't even notice a rolled up small plastic bag.  

Perhaps many people are too shy and think that they will be looked down on or seen as cheap or poor, "Oh, look he's/she's had to bring a plastic bag".    Others may say, "Thank you".

13 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

but how will people carry their one pot of yoghurt? Or, god forbid, that mini bottle of milk... 

Maybe 7/11 can offer a "Quick stop" dining area, no seats just a table to stand at.   ( Although there will always be those who would take advantage and stay there all day with their Smart phones ).

Bit like drinking street side coffee in Brazil, stand at a small table down your black coffee and glass of water and go on your way.   At least it was like that back in the 70's.

13 hours ago, Monomial said:

So they seriously think that when I go in there and take out 6 bottles of beer from the refrigerator, bring it up to the counter in a red basket and pay for it, that I am going to be able to carry it out without a bag? I've only got 2 hands guys...

I have around 50 umbrellas because I can't be bothered to carry one of those around, and I have to buy it everytime. You think I'm going to carry around a bag just to buy beer?  These guys have lost the plot. 7-11 is supposed to be for convenience. If it is inconvenient for me, I ain't gonna pay their premium prices, and I'm sure not going to pay for a useless cloth bag every time. If I have to put in the effort to plan for a shopping trip, I definitely won't plan to pay premium prices at a 7-11.

If CP had even a lick of sense, they'd be fighting the government on this policy rather than capitulating. It is going to kill their business model.

Wear cargo shorts or cargo pants that have those 2 side pockets. Place a beer in each pocket so that takes care of 2 beers. Carry the other 4 with two held in each hand. Problem solved ???? Sometimes you need to use a bit of brain power to solve problems in life ????

4 minutes ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

Pay attention here. 

"Convenience store chain “7-11” will stop giving plastic bags to shoppers at 137 pilot branches starting November 25.."

There are over 8,000 7-Eleven convenience stores in Thailand.

Pay attention here:

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

implementing the plastic bag policy nationwide on January 1, 2020.

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

Wear cargo shorts or cargo pants that have those 2 side pockets. Place a beer in each pocket so that takes care of 2 beers. Carry the other 4 with two held in each hand. Problem solved ???? Sometimes you need to use a bit of brain power to solve problems in life ????

Wear cargo shorts or cargo pants that have those 2 side pockets. Place a beer in each pocket

Then walk out of the store...

Free Beer.......lol

35 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Maybe 7/11 can offer a "Quick stop" dining area, no seats just a table to stand at.   ( Although there will always be those who would take advantage and stay there all day with their Smart phones ).

Bit like drinking street side coffee in Brazil, stand at a small table down your black coffee and glass of water and go on your way.   At least it was like that back in the 70's.

Some 7-11 store offers this already with seating area and freshly made food such as on Lang Suan road in BKK.

Since 7-11 stopped selling AIS top-ups I stopped going there so I couldn't care less what they do.

And remember the first rule of the Thai jungle: where there's a 7/11, there'll be a Family Mart nearby!

(As well as a Lotus Express and Mini-Big C as well these days)

13 hours ago, djayz said:

If I read just one more article about plastic bags in Thailand I'll scream!!! This topic has been on and off for how long now? Meanwhile, many countries around the world have reduced their plastic bag waste DECADES ago and some countries, like Ireland, have taken further initiatives, where, effective 2021, a 10, 15 or 25 Euro cent fee will be charged for every disposable coffee/tea cup in an effort to reduce the waste created by these single use products. Other countries, Germany being a prime example, charge a "deposit" on glass and plastic bottles. This can in turn be reclaimed by customers when the empty bottles are returned. 

It really feels like the people here are doing too little, too late. 

Why not just think “better late than never” and applaud 7-11 for taking a firm stance, they might just be leading the way

13 hours ago, djayz said:

Other countries, Germany being a prime example, charge a "deposit" on glass and plastic bottles. This can in turn be reclaimed by customers when the empty bottles are returned. 

This was standard on beer and 'pop' bottles in the UK when I was a kid. Then came plastic and the chuck away society was born.

Germany is a great example and it's no surprise to me. I've never visited another country that has as much pride in their environment as the Germans.

47 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Actually he could buy 8 and drink two before he leaves the store

13 hours ago, Monomial said:

So they seriously think that when I go in there and take out 6 bottles of beer from the refrigerator, bring it up to the counter in a red basket and pay for it, that I am going to be able to carry it out without a bag? I've only got 2 hands guys...

I have around 50 umbrellas because I can't be bothered to carry one of those around, and I have to buy it everytime. You think I'm going to carry around a bag just to buy beer?  These guys have lost the plot. 7-11 is supposed to be for convenience. If it is inconvenient for me, I ain't gonna pay their premium prices, and I'm sure not going to pay for a useless cloth bag every time. If I have to put in the effort to plan for a shopping trip, I definitely won't plan to pay premium prices at a 7-11.

If CP had even a lick of sense, they'd be fighting the government on this policy rather than capitulating. It is going to kill their business model.

So, how soon will it be before the guy/gal selling lottery tickets out front will have a side business selling plastic bags for a couple of baht each?

1 minute ago, kensisaket said:

So, how soon will it be before the guy/gal selling lottery tickets out front will have a side business selling plastic bags for a couple of baht each?

Sir you have true entrepreneur thinking....This is a heck of a good idea.... 

Archived