Some 7-11 branches to implement 'no plastic bags' policy from Nov 25

snoop1130

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I first gave up taking plastic bags here I was looked at like I was from another planet. These days I’m often asked if I want one and when I say no the staff invariably say thank you. That IS progress. Hopefully all the major companies will follow suit. Is it really such a hardship to carry a cloth bag in your back pocket? I understand that most here realize they’ll be long gone before a real turnaround happens with our climate but it’s just plain selfish not to consider future generations.

6 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

When I first gave up taking plastic bags here I was looked at like I was from another planet. These days I’m often asked if I want one and when I say no the staff invariably say thank you. That IS progress. Hopefully all the major companies will follow suit. Is it really such a hardship to carry a cloth bag in your back pocket? I understand that most here realize they’ll be long gone before a real turnaround happens with our climate but it’s just plain selfish not to consider future generations.

Thanks, we are on the same wavelength and it seems that we have had the same experiences with the "no bag", I have always two cloth bags with me. I am also against the plastic bags for meat and vegetables, I am starting to use plastic containers, it is a great battle that I will win in the end!

1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

Why not just think “better late than never” and applaud 7-11 for taking a firm stance, they might just be leading the way

I will applaud them, and other shops, as soon as they stop talking about it and actually implement all of these rules and bans. 

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

This was standard on beer and 'pop' bottles in the UK when I was a kid. Then came plastic and the chuck away society was born.

Germany is a great example and it's no surprise to me. I've never visited another country that has as much pride in their environment as the Germans.

Actually, you've formulated exactly what I've noticed over the years here but couldn't put into words - being proud of your countryside and environment. 

1 minute ago, Bobboner said:

Oh HELL NO, I’m just gonna save my plastic bags, take them with me to the store and then bag my own fcking groceries! 

Same good thing , as you recycle them ,less in the sea by your own solution  ….!

1 minute ago, Bobboner said:

No it’s not recycling in fact I’ll have people send me more plastic bags in the mail. 

Same good recycler man …,as long they send them to you and so they who send them not just throw them away ….. 

16 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Hey if family mart has bags its goodbye 7-11.....

Until the country bans bags nationwide by law from Jan 2021

36 minutes ago, 30la said:

And another free publicity for CP, which of the 12,000 7/11 stores only 137 participate in this campaign!
Hypocrites!

Someone else that has trouble reading.  137 pilot stores and the rest of the 12,000 from January, just a few weeks away.

It's been working in the 7/11's on Koh Samet for some time.  People will soon get used to the change as they have in many other countries.

15 hours ago, Monomial said:

So they seriously think that when I go in there and take out 6 bottles of beer from the refrigerator, bring it up to the counter in a red basket and pay for it, that I am going to be able to carry it out without a bag? I've only got 2 hands guys...

I have around 50 umbrellas because I can't be bothered to carry one of those around, and I have to buy it everytime. You think I'm going to carry around a bag just to buy beer?  These guys have lost the plot. 7-11 is supposed to be for convenience. If it is inconvenient for me, I ain't gonna pay their premium prices, and I'm sure not going to pay for a useless cloth bag every time. If I have to put in the effort to plan for a shopping trip, I definitely won't plan to pay premium prices at a 7-11.

If CP had even a lick of sense, they'd be fighting the government on this policy rather than capitulating. It is going to kill their business model.

Beer in bottle = beer in fridge = condensation = WET = BAG.????

Get a grip man! 

2 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Until the country bans bags nationwide by law from Jan 2021

Someone else that has trouble reading.  137 pilot stores and the rest of the 12,000 from January, just a few weeks away.

It's been working in the 7/11's on Koh Samet for some time.  People will soon get used to the change as they have in many other countries.

In Europe we are trained already long time, our household  garbage need recycled in different official labeled bags , some places have even different selection underground containers accessible with chip cards....and they call us " the old world " …..55555

Be sure it is coming and shall be followed …. as  now even Thais stop on the red traffic lights …. who in heavens name would expect that to become possible ….5555 lol

5 minutes ago, HHTel said:

So many of the posters here will boycott stores not giving out plastic bags.  Good on you.  And come January 2021 when they are banned by law, you will boycott the whole country and leave??!!

Sorry there will be a announcement that the bag ban was all just a big misunderstanding.....lol.. same as with dozens of other bans...

1 minute ago, HHTel said:

So many of the posters here will boycott stores not giving out plastic bags.  Good on you.  And come January 2021 when they are banned by law, you will boycott the whole country and leave??!!

Oh only usual big mouth bragging's ….But maybe it could be Bobboner be "the last off the Mohicans " then to finally give in , a national remembering's day then 

lol :cheesy:

16 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Just wait to hear what the other groups will allegedly be doing.

I was in a Big C yesterday.... the single "fast isle" a hand basket lane with 10 items or less does not provide plastic bags, you have to bring your own or they will sell you a large strong re-usable bag for 79 baht.

All the other check-outs some 20+ cashiers all gave plastic bags as normal.

I (and many others) always use the Tesco and 7/11 bags for our rubbish bins at home, saves me from buying plastic rubbish bags ???????? guess what, at Tesco you can now buy strong bags to replace the plastic bags at the cashiers . . . and they are made from - guess what? - from stronger plastic !!

How laughable !!

I cannot see any reduction happening. Moreover, since most of the items sold at 7/11 are wrapped in extra plastic or plastic cups wrpped in more plastic. Just imagine how many bags of plastic does it take to put up with the weight of a shampoo bottle.

And not to mention what I said at the beginning: each plastic bags used for the bin at home is one plastic rubbish bin bag less

. . . . the real problem are the people who toss the rubbish into the roadsides . . . . just put up with an organized waste management, trash separation and waste burning & processing facilities and incinerators, problem solved. Put up more waste bins at beaches and parks, picnic sites and walkways, And educate the people to USE THEM !

But as long as Thais are allowed to kick their waste into the khlongs and the environment, nothing will change.  One has to declare this behaviour such a record great face loss, that eventually a change of the mindset will replace it

I am very surprised at so many negative posts on this initiative by what I can only describe as dinosaurs.

My Thai wife has been refusing plastic everywhere since I met her 3 years ago. Me, long before that in the UK. Living in her village, we got funny looks at first refusing all plastic; bags, straws, spoons etc. She carries cloth bags everywhere, and gets very irked if she forgets on occasion and has to take plastic. Now however, the only 'real' shop in the village is selling cloth bags and is promoting the initiative. It is owned by 2 retired Bangkok doctors, and they actively try to reduce the number of bags they dish out. I see this as real progress.

You can argue about global warming and its causes, but no one in their right mind can deny plastig bags are helping to kill the planet.

You don't need a degree on Operational Planning to start carrying a cloth bag when you go out. As someone mentioned, one in the back pocket is all that's needed. It's amazing how quickly you can adapt. Stop crying and give it a go.

ANd 6 beers is 2 too many for one night, just buy 4 and get healthier too ????

1 minute ago, crazygreg44 said:

I (and many others) always use the Tesco and 7/11 bags for our rubbish bins at home, saves me from buying plastic rubbish bags ???????? guess what, at Tesco you can now buy strong bags to replace the plastic bags at the cashiers . . . and they are made from - guess what? - from stronger plastic !!

Then they are not 'single use plastic bags are they?'  Duh!

When I read some of the comments I get really sad that people in this plastic world are to disinterested, careless or lazy to accept that there are no plastic bags anymore. In Europe it has been like this for a long time and seems to be no problem. There are very practical small collapsible bags that you can clip to your belt if suddenly the need arises to buy six beers. I totally support the 7-11 decision, even if it comes far too late.

7 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

How laughable !!

I cannot see any reduction happening. Moreover, since most of the items sold at 7/11 are wrapped in extra plastic or plastic cups wrpped in more plastic. Just imagine how many bags of plastic does it take to put up with the weight of a shampoo bottle.

And not to mention what I said at the beginning: each plastic bags used for the bin at home is one plastic rubbish bin bag less

. . . . the real problem are the people who toss the rubbish into the roadsides . . . . just put up with an organized waste management, trash separation and waste burning & processing facilities and incinerators, problem solved.

But as long as Thais are allowed to kick their waste into the khlongs, nothing will change.  One has to declare this behaviour such a record great face loss, that eventually a change of the mindset will replace it

"How laughable !! "

To not understand that the strong one is meant to be re used many many times , replacing the direct throw of tiny plastic ones so reducing the plastic waste …..how laughable not to (willing) understand that ...

6 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Then they are not 'single use plastic bags are they?'  Duh!

after they have been used 20 times these stronger plastic bags will eventually find their way into the roadsides and khlongs, too 

You are underestimating the face loss the Thai get from "multi-usage" of any consumer item

I have brought over from my last visit to Europe, 20 textile shopping bags and distributed them among our family here. Guess what?  They forget them at home when they go shopping . . . . . . 

1 hour ago, 30la said:

And another free publicity for CP, which of the 12,000 7/11 stores only 137 participate in this campaign!
Hypocrites!

Somebody else who has not read the OP properly....

This is the pilot  project, the other stores will join the nationwide ban next year.

And for all the people saying they will switch to Familymart, they are part of the Central Group who are also  getting rid of single use plastic bags.

Archived