Some 7-11 branches to implement 'no plastic bags' policy from Nov 25

snoop1130

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Monomial said:

This isn't rocket science guys. Think. Currently, a retailer spends about 0.1% of gross profits to supply plastic bags to their customers. There are 3 practical options for reducing the problem with plastic polution:

1) Require all retailers to only use biodegradable plastic. These bags are more expensive and have a shorter life, thus increasing both the production cost and the logistics costs. In other words, this would INCREASE the price to the retailer and put pressure on their profits, but would not require inconveniencing the customer. Result:  lower profits means retailers fight tooth and nail against this option.

2) Refundable bag deposits:  This technique has been utilized for decades in things like plastic bottles. It requires some markers in the bags to make sure counterfeiting doesn't occur during the refund process, and requires the retailer to bear the costs of accepting bag returns. Result:  INCREASED cost and decreased profits from the retailers, but only a very minor inconvenience to the customer, because he can accumulate bags and simply return them periodically when he does major shopping. But since it costs the retailer money, they will fight tooth and nail against this proposal.

3) Just stop bags altogether: This idea is a huge inconvenience to customers, but the social justice warriors have all convinced their peers that this is done to save the environment. This is the worst possible solution to the problem, and any retailer who has tried "no bags" has found the vast majority of customers dislike this, and will only accept it if there is a big incentive provided, such as Makro with lower prices. Tesco could never stop giving bags unilaterally, because everyone would then switch to Big C.  However, if they can get the government to pass a law forcing this, then they can completely ignore consumer preference, give the middle finger to their customers, and simply say "som nom na." You've got no choice. Meanwhile, they get a windfall profit, because they no longer have to spend approximately 0.1% of the gross revenue on plastic bags. Win for them. Loss for the rest of us.

I would support a solution along the lines of 1 or 2. I detest option 3. I think anyone who supports option 3 doesn't care at all about the environment, but is only doing the bidding of the uber wealthy and giant retailers. So if you support the elite robber barrons, go ahead and continue supporting "no bags". Be proud of the fact that you want to increase their profits. But don't pretend that you give a damn about the environment. The rest of us know that is not the reason this solution was chosen.

If you support option 3, it is only fair to also demand a windfall profits tax on gross sales of retailers to make sure the money goes somewhere useful, and not to the bottom line profits of the wealthy. If the retailers actually had to pay for this policy, you can bet we'd probably get a solution along the lines of 1 or 2 instead.

Well its nice to see there are a few people left whos brains are not green washed.....

On 11/22/2019 at 6:27 PM, bluesofa said:

This is the first time I've read clearly about any of the big chains policies.

Initially IIRC it said that some major stores were to stop issuing plastic bags next year, but it wasn't clear if it was certain branches of the chains, or all of their branches.

At least we know of 7 Eleven's intention now. Just wait to hear what the other groups will allegedly be doing.

what about Family Mart shops???

5 hours ago, essox essox said:

what about Family Mart shops???

Among the big names were Central Group, The Mall Group, CP All (owners of 7Eleven), Siam Makro, Robinsons, Bangchak Retail, Big C Supercentre, Index Living Mall and PTT, as well as trade associations such as the Plastic Industry Club and Thai Retailers Association.

Family Mart is owned by the Central Group, so yes they have signed the agreement.  Altogether some 43 stores and associations have signed the agreement.

CP also invested in trash plastic bags company ?

I understand that they will make even more money by not giving plastic bags: they save, and then they sell bin bags because people will need them to throw their trash.

Clearly a scam !

The problem with plastic bags is that people are idiots and sometimes throw them without using them as a trash.

What is the problem with plastic bags if they are burn with the trash ?

Ridiculous. I will keep shopping where I can get plastic bags.

On 11/22/2019 at 7:53 PM, Monomial said:

So they seriously think that when I go in there and take out 6 bottles of beer from the refrigerator, bring it up to the counter in a red basket and pay for it, that I am going to be able to carry it out without a bag? I've only got 2 hands guys...

I have around 50 umbrellas because I can't be bothered to carry one of those around, and I have to buy it everytime. You think I'm going to carry around a bag just to buy beer?  These guys have lost the plot. 7-11 is supposed to be for convenience. If it is inconvenient for me, I ain't gonna pay their premium prices, and I'm sure not going to pay for a useless cloth bag every time. If I have to put in the effort to plan for a shopping trip, I definitely won't plan to pay premium prices at a 7-11.

If CP had even a lick of sense, they'd be fighting the government on this policy rather than capitulating. It is going to kill their business model.

Some of you people are really thick at times.You buy a cloth bag ONLY ONCE not every time.You put one in the car or the bike and its there for your CONVENIENCE.If you put a couple of plastic bags inside your new cloth bag thats handy for any whet stuff.This is called pre-organising------Ever heard of it ?????

1 minute ago, biplanebluey said:

Some of you people are really thick at times.You buy a cloth bag ONLY ONCE not every time.You put one in the car or the bike and its there for your CONVENIENCE.If you put a couple of plastic bags inside your new cloth bag thats handy for any whet stuff.This is called pre-organising------Ever heard of it ?????

HaHa change WHET to WET .Now come on have a laugh and stop whinging

On 11/22/2019 at 5:24 PM, snoop1130 said:

“If customers don’t have their own bags, 7-11 also sells high-quality fabric bags at a reasonable price."

This says all you need to know about the push to ban plastic bags. It's not about the environment, it's about profits (PERIOD).

18 hours ago, HHTel said:

Both Tesco and Big C. have signed the agreement committing to 'no single use plastic' from Jan 1.

this is going to be great....Seeing all the thai's try to juggle their items and ride their motorbikes home.....Roads will be less safe, More accidents, more deaths...but hey at least we are reducing plastic consumption right....i mean EVERYTHING else still comes in plastic or is wrapped in plastic but at least no more plastic bags....555555

12 minutes ago, theonetrueaussie said:

this is going to be great....Seeing all the thai's try to juggle their items and ride their motorbikes home.....Roads will be less safe, More accidents, more deaths...but hey at least we are reducing plastic consumption right....i mean EVERYTHING else still comes in plastic or is wrapped in plastic but at least no more plastic bags....555555

Big plastic bags are not the biggest problem when talking about littering. It's the rest of the stuff you get when buying food or whatever, like those small plastic bags for fruit,straws,styrofoam containers, spoons, forks and knives. I have three 7/11, one Tesco Lotus Express,one No Name small store and a big market next to where I'm staying. I have NEVER EVER seen one person with their own bag when buying something.

So when I read all these posts from people saying they always carry a bag with them, my reaction is BS. One more thing: 7/11 picked only 137 stores out of ~10500 to stop offering plastic bags from November 25, but depending on what we're buying we can still get a plastic bag.  Go figure. 

26 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

So when I read all these posts from people saying they always carry a bag with them, my reaction is BS.

Well I am afraid I am going to call you on that one. I am known in my local 7/11s for always having a bag with me as well as not taking spoons, forks straws etc. Always served with a smile and complimentary remark. This is not BS!!

20 hours ago, Monomial said:

This isn't rocket science guys. Think. Currently, a retailer spends about 0.1% of gross profits to supply plastic bags to their customers. There are 3 practical options for reducing the problem with plastic polution:

1) Require all retailers to only use biodegradable plastic. These bags are more expensive and have a shorter life, thus increasing both the production cost and the logistics costs. In other words, this would INCREASE the price to the retailer and put pressure on their profits, but would not require inconveniencing the customer. Result:  lower profits means retailers fight tooth and nail against this option.

2) Refundable bag deposits:  This technique has been utilized for decades in things like plastic bottles. It requires some markers in the bags to make sure counterfeiting doesn't occur during the refund process, and requires the retailer to bear the costs of accepting bag returns. Result:  INCREASED cost and decreased profits from the retailers, but only a very minor inconvenience to the customer, because he can accumulate bags and simply return them periodically when he does major shopping. But since it costs the retailer money, they will fight tooth and nail against this proposal.

3) Just stop bags altogether: This idea is a huge inconvenience to customers, but the social justice warriors have all convinced their peers that this is done to save the environment. This is the worst possible solution to the problem, and any retailer who has tried "no bags" has found the vast majority of customers dislike this, and will only accept it if there is a big incentive provided, such as Makro with lower prices. Tesco could never stop giving bags unilaterally, because everyone would then switch to Big C.  However, if they can get the government to pass a law forcing this, then they can completely ignore consumer preference, give the middle finger to their customers, and simply say "som nom na." You've got no choice. Meanwhile, they get a windfall profit, because they no longer have to spend approximately 0.1% of the gross revenue on plastic bags. Win for them. Loss for the rest of us.

I would support a solution along the lines of 1 or 2. I detest option 3. I think anyone who supports option 3 doesn't care at all about the environment, but is only doing the bidding of the uber wealthy and giant retailers. So if you support the elite robber barrons, go ahead and continue supporting "no bags". Be proud of the fact that you want to increase their profits. But don't pretend that you give a damn about the environment. The rest of us know that is not the reason this solution was chosen.

If you support option 3, it is only fair to also demand a windfall profits tax on gross sales of retailers to make sure the money goes somewhere useful, and not to the bottom line profits of the wealthy. If the retailers actually had to pay for this policy, you can bet we'd probably get a solution along the lines of 1 or 2 instead.

Well that was quite a reply but now reading between the lines you are looking at this from a financial point of view and not environmentally. All you talk about is profits, revenue and needing an incentive to go non plastic.

If they are stopping bags elsewhere then why should Thailand be any different? What is your problem with buying, for a very small sum, environmentally friendly bags of some description? In UK all the big supermarkets all manage without any loss to their business as all are doing this. 

It seems to me that if there is no financial gain for yourself then you are not going to help the environment. Very strange attitude to have in this day and age.  

3 minutes ago, worrab said:

Well that was quite a reply but now reading between the lines you are looking at this from a financial point of view and not environmentally. All you talk about is profits, revenue and needing an incentive to go non plastic.

If they are stopping bags elsewhere then why should Thailand be any different? What is your problem with buying, for a very small sum, environmentally friendly bags of some description? In UK all the big supermarkets all manage without any loss to their business as all are doing this. 

It seems to me that if there is no financial gain for yourself then you are not going to help the environment. Very strange attitude to have in this day and age.  

It's your attitude that's wrong. Everything is about money and convinience. Tesco Lotus once tried "No bags", it didn't work. The bags returned. Why, do you think? They lost customers, angry customers. 

15 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

It's your attitude that's wrong. Everything is about money and convinience. Tesco Lotus once tried "No bags", it didn't work. The bags returned. Why, do you think? They lost customers, angry customers. 

Rome was not built in a day. All these changes take time and will not happen overnight. How comes it has worked in other countries then? I know the Thais can be more than set in their ways but times are changing. They are slowly becoming environmentally aware so perhaps it is time for all the big stores to go for this policy at the same time!! Then you will see it work as they cannot boycott every store for shopping!!  

14 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

CP also invested in trash plastic bags company ?

I understand that they will make even more money by not giving plastic bags: they save, and then they sell bin bags because people will need them to throw their trash.

Clearly a scam !

The problem with plastic bags is that people are idiots and sometimes throw them without using them as a trash.

Ridiculous. I will keep shopping where I can get plastic bags.

Thank you for all your supporting messages ! Nice to find that i am not the only one around with a brain !

8 hours ago, biplanebluey said:

and then you buy plastic bags to throw your trash ? you really are not able to think just a little...

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

You're wrong.  Tesco Lotus have only had the one plastic free day per month (I believe it to be the 4th or 5th).  That policy is still in place along with their 'green check-out' which is there every day.  Come Jan 1, all days will be plastic bag free, even for Tesco.

15 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

You are amongst the many who have no idea the damage they are causing:

When plastic is burned, it releases dangerous chemicals such as hydrochloric acid, sulfur dioxide, dioxins, furans and heavy metals, as well as particulates. These emissions are known to cause respiratory ailments and stress human immune systems, and they're potentially carcinogenic

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

So which of the usual shops 7 Eleven, Family Mart , Big C, Tesco Lotus sell the best cheap bag? maybe learn something useful from this thread

I guess that will depend on area and local suppliers.

I have several of the 'Villa' bags which have lasted for months and show no sign of wearing: 20 baht.  When I was last on Koh Samet, the 7/11's there were offering 5, 10 and 15 baht bags.

I'm sure we'll know more in the weeks that come.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No bags = no customers, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm OK shopping in a store that does give me a bag, that's why they're called 'convenience stores'.

Definitely buying less. Instead of 6 or 8 bottles of soda, I may only buy 1 that I can carry in my hand. Perhaps will drink more tea.

Why can't shops in Thailand just charge 2 or 3 baht for a plastic bag like in Western  countries, or offer (quality) paper bags like supermarkets in Vietnam?

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No bags = no customers, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm OK shopping in a store that does give me a bag, that's why they're called 'convenience stores'.

Why in the countries around the world that have banned single use plastic (and there are a lot) that trading hasn't been affected??

No bags = No 'You'. and a few other TV posters.  I'm sure the economy can stand that.  So let's assume that the law actually works come January 2021 with appropriate penalties and enforcement.  That would mean that NO retailers will issue plastic bags on fear of penalty.

So what does BritManToo and his few sympathizers do then?? 

Well, I don't know if the 7-11 I went to today was part of this no-bag pilot program or not. If so, they have already opted themselves out of it. When I went up to the counter, they didn't have any of the usual 7-11 plastic bags with their logo on them. They did have a package of blank plastic bags they were using instead. Guess they figured out no bags means no customers and took things into the own hands. I'll bet it works like this in most places.

8 hours ago, worrab said:

Wrong. I am saying the RETAILERS are the ones who are doing this for financial advantage.  This whole thing about the environment is a cover story. I gave 3 ways to help the environment and the plastic problem. The first 2 result in almost no inconvenience for the customer, save the planet, but cost the uber wealthy who own the giant retail chains. Hence, those options have no chance of being considered.

Instead, they choose the 1 option that benefits themselves, and the con social justice warriors into going out and spreading the lie that this solution is the only way to genuinely help the environment. That is bogus and we all know it.

We can protect the environment without inconveniencing customers. But the retail establishments won't agree to that because that will impact profits. They'll fight those options. Instead, they choose to increase their profits at our expense. That is why this "no bag" policy is wrong. And it isn't an issue of getting used to it. If we are given no choice, that is what everyone has to do. That is what they have to do in Europe where they have passed stupid laws like this to benefit the wealthy store owners. That isn't changing consumer behavior. That is simply removing choice. The minute you reintroduce disposable bags, everyone will switch back.

So no. You can't take the moral high ground saying you are doing this solely for the environment. There are better ways to help the environment that are less harmful to consumer convenience. You are a mouth piece for the uber wealthy, programmed with misinformation designed to generate profits for them, whether you realize it or not.

54 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Well, I don't know if the 7-11 I went to today was part of this no-bag pilot program or not. If so, they have already opted themselves out of it. When I went up to the counter, they didn't have any of the usual 7-11 plastic bags with their logo on them. They did have a package of blank plastic bags they were using instead. Guess they figured out no bags means no customers and took things into the own hands. I'll bet it works like this in most places.

The 7/11's in my area have never issued bags with the 7/11 logo.  They have always been plain plastic bags.

9 hours ago, HHTel said:

Why in the countries around the world that have banned single use plastic (and there are a lot) that trading hasn't been affected??

Don't know about other countries, but the UK doesn't have convenience stores any more.

You drive 10 miles to the out of town superstore, buy everything for a week, then drive home 10 miles.

Of course everyone needed a car and petrol to do the shopping ....... probably worse than a few plastic bags.

Archived