Some 7-11 branches to implement 'no plastic bags' policy from Nov 25

snoop1130

56 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Don't know about other countries, but the UK doesn't have convenience stores any more.

You drive 10 miles to the out of town superstore, buy everything for a week, then drive home 10 miles.

Of course everyone needed a car and petrol to do the shopping ....... probably worse than a few plastic bags.

My town in the UK  we have Tesco Express, Londis and Spar.

Have 4 supermarkets, 2 Aldi, Morrisons, Tesco.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta wonder if they'll rethink the whole thing when they realize doing a greta is bad for business. By sheer physics they will be selling less, as there's only so much consumers can carry without a bag., not to mention all of those who will change to shopping at Family Mart or Lawson. I just hope it won't be my local 7-11 as I'd hate to be a guinea pig in this nonsense.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Don't know about other countries, but the UK doesn't have convenience stores any more.

You drive 10 miles to the out of town superstore, buy everything for a week, then drive home 10 miles.

Of course everyone needed a car and petrol to do the shopping ....... probably worse than a few plastic bags.

That happened long before it was decided against plastic bags.

1 hour ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Gotta wonder if they'll rethink the whole thing when they realize doing a greta is bad for business. By sheer physics they will be selling less, as there's only so much consumers can carry without a bag., not to mention all of those who will change to shopping at Family Mart or Lawson. I just hope it won't be my local 7-11 as I'd hate to be a guinea pig in this nonsense.

Well if everything goes to plan, Family Mart are part of the current initiative so that's not an option.  As for Lawsons, they have less than 1% of the convenience stores.  Not even sure if they have stores outside BKK.

Regardless, come Jan 2021 the issue of plastic bags is to be made illegal.

11 hours ago, zydeco said:

Well, I don't know if the 7-11 I went to today was part of this no-bag pilot program or not. If so, they have already opted themselves out of it. When I went up to the counter, they didn't have any of the usual 7-11 plastic bags with their logo on them. They did have a package of blank plastic bags they were using instead. Guess they figured out no bags means no customers and took things into the own hands. I'll bet it works like this in most places.

Nope, more likely that they are running down the stocks of their branded bags given that they will not be using them beyond the end of the year. The plain ones will be a small order stop gap. 

7-Eleven do have pretty consistent national policies so I fully expect this to be enforced. 

Change is happening. 

Funny thing is I have read on here so many complaints about all the plastic bags that 7-Eleven dish out. Now they are stopping it everyone is whinging. 

9 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

7-Eleven do have pretty consistent national policies so I fully expect this to be enforced. 

Change is happening. 

So do I for about one day......7-11 will be reversing course on this no bag nonsense in no time.....

Expect to see big problems at the 7-11 checkout counter...

21 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Funny thing is I have read on here so many complaints about all the plastic bags that 7-Eleven dish out. Now they are stopping it everyone is whinging. 

Not me,

Those in power always try to distract the sheep from the bigger issues.

No pensions, no jobs, no return on accumulated wealth, family unit destroyed, currency in the toilet, our women have stopped reproducing with us .......... but hey, at least we've saved the planet with no plastic bags.

Unfortunately most 7-11 clerks will automatically grab the Plastic bags without thinking twice, even if you put your own bag right in front of them..... This is the so called Auto-pilot reflex or in other words act without thinking reflex that is integrated from their employees since the day they started working there...... 

How about the Govt. Or the big food and convenience store chains, hand out FREE re~useable cloth bags to all customers for the first week or two.

Buying from China , in bulk#, these would be cheap , good PR, and I'm SURE these Big companies can afford it!

#even printed with company logo.

On 11/22/2019 at 6:30 PM, fforest1 said:

How many people PLAN ahead of time their 7-11 shopping....

I bet virtually every last person reading this does not PLAN all their 7-11 shopping....

So we carry bags around we us 24/7 now?

Carrying bags around 24/7 is too much trouble is it or what?

I carry at least four plastic bags all the times and get some respect from the clerks when I pull one out so they can load it/them. They are typical FoodLand bags and used probably hundreds of times. And get this - I even have repaired one or two of them with Scotch cellophane packing tape when they had split with heavy use.

I also often refuse bags when an item or items are already packaged (often in plastic).

if 7-11 is doing it most likely family mart will follow since they are operate by the same group CP All PCl. Lotus started out since last year every Wednesday. Now they added 1 more day: every 4th of the month. You will find environmentally friendly bags in every of this shops relatively affordable. no worries for me.

39 minutes ago, lagarto said:

if 7-11 is doing it most likely family mart will follow since they are operate by the same group CP All PCl. Lotus started out since last year every Wednesday. Now they added 1 more day: every 4th of the month. You will find environmentally friendly bags in every of this shops relatively affordable. no worries for me.

Actually, they're part of the Central Group and are a signatory to the agreement.

12 minutes ago, dcnx said:

It’s now the 26th and today we went around to many different 7-11s out of curiosity, all still have bags. 

Wow, you don't have much going on in your life do you?  ????  ????  

Seeing as just about 1% of their stores are trialling this until the end of the year you might have to visit a few more - what's tomorrow looking like?

5 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Wow, you don't have much going on in your life do you?  ????  ????  

Seeing as just about 1% of their stores are trialling this until the end of the year you might have to visit a few more - what's tomorrow looking like?

Considering I pass 8 of them every day on my way home and we need to know if we need to start carrying our own bags or not, it was important to spend a few minutes to figure out what’s going on. None of them knew anything about bags going away. So it’s business as usual for us. 

13 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Carrying bags around 24/7 is too much trouble is it or what?

I carry at least four plastic bags all the times and get some respect from the clerks when I pull one out so they can load it/them. They are typical FoodLand bags and used probably hundreds of times. And get this - I even have repaired one or two of them with Scotch cellophane packing tape when they had split with heavy use.

I also often refuse bags when an item or items are already packaged (often in plastic).

and for your trash you buy bin bags ? What a genius !

My local 7/11 is part of the pilot scheme. It is sited on a 2000+ room condo complex in Pattaya and it is a 5 minute walk to the nearest convenience store, so a bit of thinking seems to gone on in selecting this particular store.

They have had signs up in Thai and English for a week prior to the scheme starting, not much help to the Russian lady with 2 little ones in front of me in the queue this morning. She had a rucksack with her so squeezed her purchases in that.

I hope the initiative is a success but if it ends up with 7/11 losing sales I fear it will be short lived. Time will tell.

3 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

and for your trash you buy bin bags ? What a genius !

Your standard "have you stopped beating your wife?" question/accusation. Get a life!

If I could find a way to re-use any bin bags then I would go for it, but dealing with those garbage truck dudes is probably difficult at best.  :stoner:

On 11/23/2019 at 1:53 PM, jackdd said:

I don't throw the bags just away anyway, i use them to put my trash in. The number of plastic bags which i get matches about the amount of trash which i throw away. If i would always bring my own bag and wouldn't get plastic bags from shopping it would just mean i have to buy trash bags, this would not change anything for the environment

by far the best insight of all the postings !  Let's face it - not only Farang but also Thais use the 7/11 bags inside their kitchen trash bins. If you take them away, they all need to buy plastic trash bin bags instead.  same, same

18 hours ago, HHTel said:

Not the same.  Bin bags are thicker and can be biodegradable.  They are far less likely to fly around as do the lightweight single use bags.  That's why bans usually stipulate a thickness, usually around 30 - 50 microns.

Yes, Thanks. And there are other differences between the single-use bags that stores give out for taking purchases home. People such as user gamesgplayemail and probably others don't understand that those common "take home, hand-loop" bags are not as useful for bin trash as those bags specifically designed for containing trash that have to be purchased. For one thing, they cannot be sealed as tightly unless a twisted seal-wire is used. If it is, their available volume is probably reduced (although the hand loops are useful for carrying them).

I have two flip-lid trash containers that are too large for the typical medium-sized "take home, hand-loop" bag. The 18 x 20 inch trash bags fit these flip-lid containers perfectly. I used "take home, hand-loop" bags for years in a few smaller trash bins, but have essentially stopped using them for my volume trash - so I don't have a big need nowadays for the "take home, hand-loop" bags. I have to say though that my purchased, 18 x 20 inch bags seem to me to be quite thin, even thinner than the "take home, hand-loop" bash, but maybe it's me. I have special needs for even larger, and noticeably thicker bags as well (but that's another story)

Plus, I shop using a bicycle with two panniers (saddle bags) on it and can simply carry a shopping basket (or simply hand-carry or use my on-person take home, hand-loop bags) to take purchased items to the bicycle.

23 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

by far the best insight of all the postings !  Let's face it - not only Farang but also Thais use the 7/11 bags inside their kitchen trash bins. If you take them away, they all need to buy plastic trash bin bags instead.  same, same

Time to buy shares in Thai garbage bag manufacturers.

On 11/22/2019 at 4:53 PM, dcnx said:

Some of the lads at one of the spots here in Chiang Mai are running a new scam where they are trying to charge 5b per bag. It probably works on tourists and people who are missing brain cells.

Another save the planet scam.

5 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

For one thing, they cannot be sealed as tightly unless a twisted seal-wire is used.

the  7/11 bags and others from the supermarkets can be sealed perfectly .  . . when used in a small bin in the kitchen, and the bag is full, you just have to knot the two handle ends together and it is airtight sealed.

If you got trash that is a bit heavy . . I use TWO bags together.

Never done?  Try it at home !

On 11/27/2019 at 1:41 AM, gamesgplayemail said:

no more plastic bag is a pure scam and only idiots agree with it.

With more than 127 countries banning/restricting the use of plastic bags, that's one hell of a scam!!  So more than half the world population are deemed idiots according to you.

Can't be a scam so must be global hysteria!!!???

Its not rocket science....

The best thing you can do is never ever take your own bag....If you take your own bag this only encourages them and their dumb plan....

If they dont have plastic bags for you start talking louder....Threaten to leave your purchase on the counter and walk out....Shamelessly hold up the line (like the Indians are so good at doing) with the no plastic bag problem until you get some results...lol....Remember guys dont be in a hurry you have all day to stand there and make a scene.....If your making the employees and other customers uncomfortable then this means your doing it right.......  

Only pay for plastic bags as a last resort remember they should be free...

Also remember your not only doing this for yourself your taking one for the team....Stand strong and have fun....

4 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

The best thing you can do is never ever take your own bag....If you take your own bag this only encourages them and their dumb plan....

And do not take paper bags or cardboard boxes offered as an alternative! Plastic or nothing! And if it's nothing, then I'm leaving my 3000-4000 baht purchase there on the conveyor and walking out, like I have two times at Tops already.

Archived