BANGKOK
CNX GUY

Chiang Mai vs the rest of Thailand

are you hoping that a little  bit of the Old City has rubbed off on to them, and turned CM folk into a 'they don't make them like that anymore'?

OP how long have you been in Thailand?  In Chiang Mai?

In general what interactions with Thai people do you have?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CNX GUY said:

I still see a much more unfriendly attitude displayed by the locals and even other expats here.

met some of CM people while traveling in the South, some run business, manager of one of my condo is from CM, unfortunately do have to agree with you, couldn't find any nice ones

39 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

The only people I find to be stand-offish are the tourists. Never any eye contact. Rarely a smile in a restaurant. Too busy staring into their phones, I guess.

The majority of the times I'm approached by strangers abroad, it's been a favorable experience.  But I've had enough scammers approach me over the years that I cringe when someone makes an unsolicited approach, especially in tourist areas.  And my phone rarely leaves my pocket unless it's ringing.

People like you are very judgmental! I can tell just by looking at your face! 😄

29 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

At least some good news in the last line

555. Nice one! But I will go back when the city is free again. CM used to be a marvellous party town with the jungles, and mountains and forests and opium plantations and smokey, almond eyed girls all beckoning..but now its hell. Tourist trash, expat bores, pollution and sad Thais.

• Thanks 1

What I noticed about my recent visit to chiangmai was the lack of soi dogs in fact the lack of any dogs, apart from one nice dog who followed us about near kad suan kaew which is apparently owned by a farang and likes foreigners,

Contrast that with korat where every doorway has some rabid hellhound waiting to kill you and the soi dogs are waiting to give you rabies at every corner. I know loads of bite victims.

I can only presume the soi dogs are killed and owners are fined. Chiang Mai has something very positive there. Compared to the rest. The dogs round here are clearly being trained to attack anyone going past a gate as some of the dogs are a lot more chilled out.

That being said I found chiang mai to be not as interesting this last time round with my gf .. song thaews are expensive 30 baht compared to 8 baht here, red bus drivers still rip you off on excursions ... its like a northern pattaya now really

Edited by jaffas21
  • Thanks 1