Chiang Mai vs the rest of Thailand

CNX GUY

8 hours ago, fredob43 said:

called night market everything there is at least 10 times more expensive than where I live.  

That market is for tourists, not for us, but it used to be fun to be there before Chinese invasion. I still like it and I shall move back to CM. I used to live in take off zone where planes try to pull up, that area is the worst about air. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wife, daughter, and I are looking to move to CM for the next school season, May 2020.

Currently near Nong Khai. Have been for many years.

Youngest will be going into grade two and is being schooled in Canada. 

Believe it or not school systems in many parts of Canada are failing.

I noticed a few posters stating CM is okay for families?

Just curious if a few of those posters could add on some more comments.

We are quiet country-ish folk. Don't need lots. Most time is spent around our daughter and her upbringing. She is a fluent speaker of English and Thai, as is my wife. Spent quite a few years between Thailand and North America.

Understand traffic issues....Canada is car heaven...where we are. Oil and Gas region. Also means we are used to air pollution. We have around Nong Khai now as well p. Past decade or two.

6 hours ago, rct99q said:

Wife, daughter, and I are looking to move to CM for the next school season, May 2020.

Currently near Nong Khai. Have been for many years.

Youngest will be going into grade two and is being schooled in Canada. 

Believe it or not school systems in many parts of Canada are failing.

I noticed a few posters stating CM is okay for families?

Just curious if a few of those posters could add on some more comments.

We are quiet country-ish folk. Don't need lots. Most time is spent around our daughter and her upbringing. She is a fluent speaker of English and Thai, as is my wife. Spent quite a few years between Thailand and North America.

Understand traffic issues....Canada is car heaven...where we are. Oil and Gas region. Also means we are used to air pollution. We have around Nong Khai now as well p. Past decade or two.

After spending more time in CM over the past few years, I think it is one of the better places in Thailand.

The biggest negative is of course the air issues.  And no, you are not use to air pollution that will be occurring soon as it has on numerous occasions been rated the worst in the world. Canada will seem like clear and clean.

As you say you are quiet "countryish folk" not sure what that means.  CM does have a nice mix several western type malls and many restaurants.  Most westerners put their kids in private schools. I know several families in CM who are very happy.  But, be prepared for buying house air filters, 3M high quality face masks, and literally not being able to clearly see 100 yards down the road.

It is not just air pollution but more like a total suffocation of your life for several months.

Maybe rent for a year and figure it out from there. 

On 11/23/2019 at 1:28 PM, moontang said:

The reviews of Maerim are good, but if you need a car, it really changes the budget.  Are you saying there are no dog problems there?

I lived for 10yrs in a small village near the Pong Noi area,south of the city.The mangy soi-dog situation around there is really bad.Our daughter was badly bitten by the neighbors mongrel-mutt which required hospital and 8-shots,the "owner" payed the bill but refused to admit negligence or fault on his or the dogs part. I told him I would not hesitate to kill his dog if it ever came in my yard again,of course that threat didn't sit well with him. A move was already in the works,so we did.

Been living in Mae Rim for 2yrs now bordering a mature agricultural/residential community of mostly 'original' (born/raised) people. The first thing I noticed was the lack of dogs around but came to realize there are lots of dogs,BUT, as 'pets' kept in their respected yards....the ones I've seen out and about were not aggressive,most being on leash attached to a friendly owner.

I thought..this is unbelievable! Also, I've come to know that they don't burn in their yards,unless they do at night...mmm...however,we do live on the cusp of the Mae Rim/Mae Tang greenbelt where the rice crops have been recently harvested, so getting a fair share of poor air quality while the farmers burn off the stuble.

Pardon the digression...I have come to realize a striking resemblance to the temperament of a dog and the character of its owner. Dogs may even be a good indicator of where to live! ????

Archived