FYI: Pants are now a must at immigration

I wear convertible pants. Zip off, zip on. With my usual button down long sleeve shirt (hides tatoos) and hiking boots, I can be both classily business like and casual beat the heat.

I reecomend Royal Robbins and Columbias. Easy to keep clean, wear well, look good.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

It does  seem  strange that there is some suggestion that short pants are unacceptable when on many occasions i have seen  primpy  male school teachers wearing their  psuedo Boy Scout uniforms while they assume  such  superior  status in the  general community !

In addition  the  male staff of the  IO  office I attend  on many occasions  have  been  wearing consistently very  less  formal  clothes such as brushed  cotton  sleeveless jackets,  track pants and  sneakers in what  struck me as an attempt  to  be seen as less "official" which I thought  commendable. I admit that equally  noticeable was that all the  female staff  retained the usual  formal uniform  with appropriate  (?) epaulettes and  badges of  rank.

However I doubt that there is  much validity  in arguing  equivalence to the  attire of an individual  who is  applying  for  an extension as a labourer on a  work permit from an Asian  neighbour  country to that  of a aged foreign retiree who  presents too  casually in every aspect including appearance. And  yes I  have seen  them ! Scruffy , unshaved, unwashed, and  belligerent when presenting requirements for process.

I always  approach Thai Officialdom  dressed semi  formal which includes closed  footwear (shoes).

I have  long  noted  that in the  usual cursory  visual (status) assessment by Thai is a very deliberate glance  at  footwear. 

A t shirt, baggy  shorts, and  generic  flip  flops in an Office are generally not complimentary to the occasion!

One thing I  have never  yet witnessed in anyone  turning up in a  suit and tie.

I wonder what that  would provoke as a  reaction? 555