FYI: Pants are now a must at immigration

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i have been saying this for years.

And written in the forum since years.

The signs at CW are there for long.

And even some/all DLT (motor vehicle) offices won't accept "inappropriate" clothes.

At Khon Kaen immigration in September though some foreigners in "neat" shorts were served.

Go in leisure wear and be dependent on the "mood".

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

And even some/all DLT (motor vehicle) offices won't accept "inappropriate" clothes.

Yes! I noticed the signs at the Loei DLT office the last time I was in there.  I was wearing shorts and slippers but it was my wife that was renewing her DL so once I noticed the signs (and the looks from the other Thais there) I strolled back out to the truck to wait for her.

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

............By showing up dressed like a slob you are sending a message you really don't respect  them or the process.

Thai are VERY CLASS AND STATUS conscious

Side note.  Dressing smartly is also important when approaching Thai ladies for the purpose of befriending them, short or long term.  Show some class and there is a good chance you be rewarded. :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I don't recall wearing long pants (trousers as we Brits call them) since I've been here. That's over 5 years. Wifey always gives me a look over if we're going out and makes sure I have a nice shirt on and that's about it. I always wear short socks and loafers when we're in town.

Always made very welcome at both the bank and immigration.

Having a friendly thai person/interpreter is very helpful at the bank and immigration obviously (assuming you are also taking the "wifey" with you). 

Just now, Skallywag said:

Having a friendly thai person/interpreter is very helpful at the bank and immigration obviously (assuming you are also taking the "wifey" with you). 

Never met a bank that didn't have staff fluent in english here. Maybe in a village but not bangkok, phuket and co...CW staff also speaks english, didn't go there for years tho, doubt that changed.

31 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Here's the complete outfit.

images (1).jpeg

Yes! this is what they wear at the immigration, black color and with sneakers.

Where i come from this is a very low class outfit, for trailerpark folks.

Edited by fruitman

What's do difficult about being respectful of the institution you are visiting???? 

I visited a consulate today, and of course wore trousers & a Polo shirt...  (On a causal Friday jeans would have also been perfectly acceptable but too hot for me).

I got caught out at the DLT a couple of years a ago when asked to put trousers on. A little ‘faux outrage’ on the DLT officers part as a couple of Thai lads were also in shorts. 

Lesson learned, comply, It’s not a part of culture here that needs development, I’ve bigger complaints to discuss while enjoying my seated enjoyment of living life here in Thailand and anywhere else. 

• Like 1