FYI: Pants are now a must at immigration

15 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Do yanks really not understand what 'pants' means to half the world?

Well I hope they don't mean undercrackers. I've never worn them since I came to Thailand. Not even for immigration. I have my limits.

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Well they've lucked out with me then. Government workers in Thailand have usually bought their jobs. Zero respect from me. I can say, in all honesty, that the guy who guards my village, Pong, gets far mor respect from me than some random Immigration Officer. He's a true gent and will do anything for you.

The higher up most probably , and some of the pretty young girls - it's obvious what they are employed for, But if you're not in those categories then the salary is pretty low by Thai standards say working in a bank and they have do deal with a great deal of offensive, smelly farangs and their consorts on a daily basis. I would imagine those working in the office front counters handling application will not got much of the tea money either. I once had the honour to be a guest of the deputy governor of Saraburi for his office Christmas party - with everything gratis for everybody so there are some extra perks for staff on high days and holidays.

Showing results for civil servant salaries Thailand

The government raised the minimum salary of civil servants holding bachelor's degrees to 15,000 baht a month on Jan 1. The average base salary of vocational certificate stands at 9,477 baht and of high school vocational certificate holders 10,475 baht.

18 Nov 2013

Edited by metisdead
Off topic video removed.

10 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

There is a sign at Jomtien now ,i didnt take much notice ,but it was regarding how to dress,

It's a totally daft requirement for a hot tourist destination but TiT. I was at Jomtien immigration this week, the sign showing what not to wear includes a man wearing swimming type shorts. I wore my combat shorts and they never looked or anything

• Like 2

7 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

So what's their angle on a crop top then - if being respectful to the host culture is the be all and end all ?

Approved at the highest level. But remember the rule and stick to the midriff - safe is somewhere between navel and nipple. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gearbox said:

In Iceland shorts probably are not  sold in the shops anyway, but I can tell you plenty of people in Australia turn up in banks or government offices in shorts.

I agree, I apologize for Australia and NZ peoples, on Thailand if the one who gets off a refrigerated car and enter an immigration office to ask the employees to work for him knowing that in Thailand the dress is important is a minimum of savoir faire to go there with a decent dress. It is also a matter of respect for yourself not to present for a practice as important as the visa does not go dress like a beggar.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, gearbox said:

In Iceland shorts probably are not  sold in the shops anyway, but I can tell you plenty of people in Australia turn up in banks or government offices in shorts.

From my experience of traveling Australia, folks there have to be the most casual dresser's on the planet. I even saw banks employees wearing shorts, let alone the customers. Great country if you want to really get laid back.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, nightfox said:

So its Ok for all the Thai guys to where shorts, t shirts and flip flops at banks and government places and not for falang?

I must say it's been my experience that most Thais wear long pants and shoes when taking care of business.

• Like 1