BANGKOK
allencraig

FYI: Pants are now a must at immigration

10 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

There is a sign at Jomtien now ,i didnt take much notice ,but it was regarding how to dress,

It's a totally daft requirement for a hot tourist destination but TiT. I was at Jomtien immigration this week, the sign showing what not to wear includes a man wearing swimming type shorts. I wore my combat shorts and they never looked or anything

• Like 2

4 hours ago, garyk said:

Cleaning up Pattaya, now no shorts and flip flops..  

Going to smell like a goat in immigration from all the sweaty farang... haha

Yeah they haven't grasped that falang get hotter and sweat a lot more than Thais hence we wear less clothes

• Like 1

7 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

So what's their angle on a crop top then - if being respectful to the host culture is the be all and end all ?

Approved at the highest level. But remember the rule and stick to the midriff - safe is somewhere between navel and nipple. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gearbox said:

In Iceland shorts probably are not  sold in the shops anyway, but I can tell you plenty of people in Australia turn up in banks or government offices in shorts.

I agree, I apologize for Australia and NZ peoples, on Thailand if the one who gets off a refrigerated car and enter an immigration office to ask the employees to work for him knowing that in Thailand the dress is important is a minimum of savoir faire to go there with a decent dress. It is also a matter of respect for yourself not to present for a practice as important as the visa does not go dress like a beggar.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, gearbox said:

In Iceland shorts probably are not  sold in the shops anyway, but I can tell you plenty of people in Australia turn up in banks or government offices in shorts.

From my experience of traveling Australia, folks there have to be the most casual dresser's on the planet. I even saw banks employees wearing shorts, let alone the customers. Great country if you want to really get laid back.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, nightfox said:

So its Ok for all the Thai guys to where shorts, t shirts and flip flops at banks and government places and not for falang?

I must say it's been my experience that most Thais wear long pants and shoes when taking care of business.

• Like 1