Calling Bangkok cyclists...

StreetCowboy

I may be moving to Bangkok in the near future, and interested to know what it is like for cycling.

The traffic looks a bit wacky, but it also looks flat as last night's beer.

Can you find decent lengths of back soi that are not too busy? Shade?

I will probably be living and working along the MRT Blue Line

Any suggestions or comments welcomed

SC

I never had problems cycling in BKK.  If you don't like the roads, there are parks.  Lumpini is my favorite, followed by the park by QSNCC.  (I call it Queen Sirikit Park, but it has a formal Benja... something name)  Also, there's a lot of pretty much idle roadway around the back of QSNCC in the Tobacco Monopoly grounds.  Full disclosure, I left BKK about a year ago and there was lots of construction in the QSNCC area when I came back for a visit in October 2019.

I'd add that a very nice ride is to go to Khlong Toei pier, pay 20 baht to have you and your bicycle taken on a small longtail boat over to the island (Elephant's ear, Bangkok Lung) and ride to your heart's content.  The traffic on the island is pretty sparse, and there are enough roads and things to see to make quite a few day long rides.

Edit:  I put off riding on the island until my last year or so in BKK, and regret that I didn't do it much sooner and a lot more often.  Great ride!

36 minutes ago, impulse said:

I never had problems cycling in BKK.  If you don't like the roads, there are parks.  Lumpini is my favorite, followed by the park by QSNCC.  (I call it Queen Sirikit Park, but it has a formal Benja... something name)  Also, there's a lot of pretty much idle roadway around the back of QSNCC in the Tobacco Monopoly grounds.  Full disclosure, I left BKK about a year ago and there was lots of construction in the QSNCC area when I came back for a visit in October 2019.

Is QSNCC near QS MRT station, south of Sukhumvit, towards the Port?

That would give a few km of wacky traffic, couple of laps round the park, there’s an industrial road out to Bangna that might be OK

QSNCC is at the QS MRT station.  The convention center was torn down when I was there in October, but the park was still open.  I've heard that the park may now be closed, but I'm in Texas and cannot confirm whether that's true, and what's going to happen to the area.  (Rebuild the convention center or build condos, along with the fate of the pretty much deserted Tobacco Monopoly land??)  Lumpini is just an easy 10 or a brisk 5 minute bike ride from QSNCC on Rama 4 road.

On 11/22/2019 at 8:32 PM, StreetCowboy said:

OK.   Just suggestions welcomed.

Surely a death wish. If you don't get mowed down by a car or truck, the PM2.5 pollution will certainly kill you. Hope you don't mind dying early.

On 11/23/2019 at 2:00 AM, StreetCowboy said:

What do you reckon about Soi Cowboy home at 2 am after a skinful?  Maybe I should buy a tandem...

... tandem 'trike' more likely

ride a trike, and slow down to crawl at 2kmh, because 'I Can'

On 11/22/2019 at 9:38 PM, impulse said:

I'd add that a very nice ride is to go to Khlong Toei pier, pay 20 baht to have you and your bicycle taken on a small longtail boat over to the island (Elephant's ear, Bangkok Lung) and ride to your heart's content.  The traffic on the island is pretty sparse, and there are enough roads and things to see to make quite a few day long rides.

Edit:  I put off riding on the island until my last year or so in BKK, and regret that I didn't do it much sooner and a lot more often.  Great ride!

Bangkrajao. I used to go very often to the level that I knew it like the back of my hand. But not been in a few years now. Great place for cycling with lots of shade and interesting views/sights.

Another way to get there is to take the BTS to Bang Na station, cycle back to Bang Na crossroads and take a left down Sanphawut Road and catch the ferry across at Wat Bang Na Nok. The ferry crosses over to Wat Bangnampeun Nok, which is quite close to the weekend market. Bicycles and motorbikes are allowed on the ferry.  

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

Cycling on Bangna Trat is a bit heroic

The only scary part is the junction near Mega Bang Na. But I actually enjoyed the rides down there. Down Bang Na Trat, into Suwanabhumi 3 Road, once round the airport track and then back home via Onnut, or vice versa. 78 kms or thereabouts.

Another interesting place and shaded, although not a long ride, is Nong Bon Water Sports Center. Within comfortable cycling distance from Udomsuk BTS station.        

7 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Surely a death wish. If you don't get mowed down by a car or truck, the PM2.5 pollution will certainly kill you. Hope you don't mind dying early.

use a mountain bike in bkk. drive on the sidewalk as much as possible but be courteous to walkers. beware of sudden obstacles you never imagined possible. very dirty and gritty riding a bicycle and nowadays yes the air pollution makes it worse.  I always wear a motorcycle helmet.

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

The only scary part is the junction near Mega Bang Na. But I actually enjoyed the rides down there. Down Bang Na Trat, into Suwanabhumi 3 Road, once round the airport track and then back home via Onnut, or vice versa. 78 kms or thereabouts.

Another interesting place and shaded, although not a long ride, is Nong Bon Water Sports Center. Within comfortable cycling distance from Udomsuk BTS station.        

Can you take a bike on the BTS?

Full size, or folding only?

Is it consistently permitted?

Off-peak only?

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Can you take a bike on the BTS?

Full size, or folding only?

Is it consistently permitted?

Off-peak only?

Thanks!

I have never done it myself but have seen others taking full size bikes in off peak hours. Checking the website the times are pretty ridiculous for standard bikes. 

https://www.bts.co.th/eng/suggestion/suggestion-03.html

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

I have never done it myself but have seen others taking full size bikes in off peak hours. Checking the website the times are pretty ridiculous for standard bikes. 

That's excellent!

Can you buy a chain cover that would protect other people from chain grime?
It's not something I've ever seen, but it would come in handy when putting the bike in the car as well

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

Regarding the Nong Bon Water Sports Center, they used to have loaner kayaks and sailboats for members, and my membership cost something like 40 baht a year.  That was quite a few years back, but it's an amazing program for anyone wanting to get on the water during their bike ride.

On 11/24/2019 at 6:46 PM, GarryP said:

The times are fine with me. Nothing worse than some selfish idiot taking a bike in the BTS when the trains are already super chocker blocked full of people with not much room to stand.

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

The times are fine with me. Nothing worse than some selfish idiot taking a bike in the BTS when the trains are already super chocker blocked full of people with not much room to stand.

I can understand barring them in rush hour, but between 10 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. too?    

4 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I can understand barring them in rush hour, but between 10 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. too?    

Yes, no one wants to have to dodge some selfish cyclist who's taking up a huge amount of room and blocking the doorways. It's bad enough when someone gets on with a pram when the trains are packed and they try and squash into the carriage. A cyclist with a bicycle can ride to their destination. That's why they choose to jump onto a bike.

Just now, bbi1 said:

Yes, no one wants to have to dodge some selfish cyclist who's taking up a huge amount of room and blocking the doorways. It's bad enough when someone gets on with a pram when the trains are packed and they try and squash into the carriage. A cyclist with a bicycle can ride to their destination. That's why they choose to jump onto a bike.

I take it you are not a cyclist. Cyclists are asked to only get on at the head or the tail of the train behind the driver's cabin for obvious reasons. And if I live at Samrong and want to try out some new cycling paths with friends at Jatuchak Park, I am supposed to ride there? Are you serious?  And complaining about prams? Really? Not sure who is selfish here.

18 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

After that comment its painfully obvious who is selfish...  This is straight out of the 'self-centered MoFo's' book... 

As with anything, all that's required is consideration on both sides... Of course, don't get on a busy sky train with a bicycle (plan the journey and travel in non-rush hour), but to suggest mothers with push chairs shouldn't use the sky-train is an astonishingly dim - would you suggest they try and walk the impossible gauntlet of pot holes, blockages and motorcycle barriers down Sukhumivt road? or take somchai's taxi while he's buzzed up on is M150 and driving like a tool?

The Sky train is a civilised solution, it's a shame some lack the civilization of tolerance. 

52 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I take it you are not a cyclist. Cyclists are asked to only get on at the head or the tail of the train behind the driver's cabin for obvious reasons. And if I live at Samrong and want to try out some new cycling paths with friends at Jatuchak Park, I am supposed to ride there? Are you serious?  And complaining about prams? Really? Not sure who is selfish here.

Use a fold-up bicycle or hire a bicycle there near your destination.

41 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

After that comment its painfully obvious who is selfish...  This is straight out of the 'self-centered MoFo's' book... 

As with anything, all that's required is consideration on both sides... Of course, don't get on a busy sky train with a bicycle (plan the journey and travel in non-rush hour), but to suggest mothers with push chairs shouldn't use the sky-train is an astonishingly dim - would you suggest they try and walk the impossible gauntlet of pot holes, blockages and motorcycle barriers down Sukhumivt road? or take somchai's taxi while he's buzzed up on is M150 and driving like a tool?

The Sky train is a civilised solution, it's a shame some lack the civilization of tolerance. 

Best to go off-peak time, not rush hour time if needing to use the pram. In peak hour they always make an announcement not to wear your backpack behind you as it takes up valuable standing space. Coming onboard a packed peak hour train with a pram takes up so much more standing space on an already packed like a sardine train.

During peak times take a taxi. More comfortable for them or if worried, ever heard of Grab? Plus how is Somchai able to drive like a tool in peak hour traffic when the traffic is a crawl at best?

Archived