Calling Bangkok cyclists...

StreetCowboy

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

Use a fold-up bicycle or hire a bicycle there near your destination.

Because all destinations have decent bicycles you can hire, right?

The Skylane (out near the airport) does not have bicycles to hire and you wouldn't want to ride a 'foldable' bicycle round a cycle track like the skyline if you want to do some 'training'... the only viable option is to go by car. 

Bicycles can be rented on Pak-kret and Bang Krachao, but you really wouldn't want to !!

For commuters and recreational riders a fold up bicycle is the solution and doesn't impact significantly on other commuters. 

It all depends what cycling someone wishes to do - if its recreational cycling for sight seeing etc then the options are better. But if you don't have a car and want to get out to the skylane and race around at 45kmh then the options to get there are highly limited (to car, or Air-port rail link, or a taxi with wheels removed (a PITA) or cycling there which I think is too dangerous).

There is a cycle path with links up Benjakiti and Lumpini parks (you can only cycle in Lumpini park before 3pm).

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 1:28 PM, StreetCowboy said:

Is this a bad time to ask if anyone has tried carrying their bike on the back of a moto-taxi?

If your bike is light enough, and you're used to carrying it cyclo-cross style, you could certainly do it. Hope you get a driver who will be aware of and remember the additional width of your bike and not smash it into other vehicles. The likelyhood of this happening would be my main concern and would probably prevent me from trying.

My personal opinion is that if you want to cycle mainly for exercise, you should find a gym with spin bikes and filtered air. If you want to ride for sight-seeing and such, Bang Krachao looks like a good place (I haven't been there myself). If you want to ride for fitness in a place like Lumphini park or Benakiti park - well, if you're in decent shape and fast, most times of day it will be too busy and a lot of danger of crashing into walkers/runners/slow cyclists. 

On 12/12/2019 at 4:19 PM, FALCON1 said:

If your bike is light enough, and you're used to carrying it cyclo-cross style, you could certainly do it. Hope you get a driver who will be aware of and remember the additional width of your bike and not smash it into other vehicles. The likelyhood of this happening would be my main concern and would probably prevent me from trying.

My personal opinion is that if you want to cycle mainly for exercise, you should find a gym with spin bikes and filtered air. If you want to ride for sight-seeing and such, Bang Krachao looks like a good place (I haven't been there myself). If you want to ride for fitness in a place like Lumphini park or Benakiti park - well, if you're in decent shape and fast, most times of day it will be too busy and a lot of danger of crashing into walkers/runners/slow cyclists. 

I’d actually meant that in jest; I think it would chaos weaving through traffic with your bike over your shoulder.

I ride a cyclocross bike, and it weighs a ton; it’s also painfully rigid - I’m not surprised cyclocross races are so short; they must be fit as butchers’ dogs to run with that weight of bike on their shoulder.

you can take the commuter train that stops just outside the airport entrance.  them's the trains that head to chachoengsao and kabinburi, and twice daily to aranyaprathet.  as others advised, avoid peak commuter times.  otherwise no problem to carry into passenger cars.

I don't have problems cycling in Bangkok. I always make sure I can be seen and try to position myself correctly on the road. Do not follow the Thai way of riding, wobbling around right hand turns on the wrong side of the road, riding against the traffic and would you believe it? having red lights on the FRONT of the bike! You should be OK.

Archived