Fortuner displaying notice on Engine Oil and Oil Filter

Hi,

I have a Fortuner bought firsthand from Toyota dealer (TBN) two years back. I've been performing routine maintenance around every 10K kilometers (changing engine oil, oil filters etc.). The car is clocking 37K kms now with the last maintenance done at 33K kms.

All of a sudden the communicator has started displaying a message every time I turn on the ignition. 

ty-engine.jpg.524291aa041b51e7b1045b717a0b69c2.jpg

Its coming up every single time I turn the car on. As you can see from the figures above, I'm quite far from the next maintenance cycle.

Should I be concerned and head for the garage?

Thanks.

If only for them to reset a faulty sensor and the resultant peace of mind, why not? Lot's of electronics these days even for simple things like oil pressure, temp, etc.. Otherwise, ignoring the warnings could leave you liable for the cost of any repairs regardless of the warranty. Sort of like ignoring the glowering red 'oil light' on my old Standard Vanguard just because it still sounded OK like Massey-Ferguson straight four tractor engines do.

Have you checked the oil using the dipstick and had a squint under the bonnet? Not unknown for filters to be incorrectly tightened up.

You say you've "been performing routine maintenance". Does that mean DIY servicing or are you simply following the schedule and the dealership is doing the work? I would think that since you bought it new, you would be letting them do it if only for warranty validation but you never know.

Not sure on Toyota -I have a Honda. Engine oil and filter change is independent of service. I service 6 monthly but the oil change and filter change is independent of that . Are you sure they have been changing the oil , filter every service. Honda services are 6 monthly or 10,000 km;s but the computer sticks to an actual 10,000 kms. for oil/ filter change.Usually sods law it happens a few weeks after the service. 

What does your handbook say.?

Maybe you are doing the services,but how often do you check

your levels,water,oil,battery and washer bottle,i do mine every

week, takes minutes.   P.S. every time i take it in for service

regards worgeordie            I mark  X the oil filter,air filter just to make sure they are changed.

The only thing that would concern me is that the warning light also includes low oil pressure warning.

If me, for peace of mind, I would just get it checked out at the dealer, but it is probably as others have pointed out the pop up needs deleting...????

6 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Reset the service indicator in the ECU. Needs to be done after every service or the computer does not know it has been done and will display the 'Do It'

Don't think that's quite correct. I have a service (Oil, Oil filter, clean A/C filter, Grease prop) every 5k on my Tuna and they have never reset the ECU. I sit with my lump every time so I can see what's going on. So somewhere along the line he either has a problem or a fault. As others have said get it sorted ASAP. 

11 hours ago, transam said:

The only thing that would concern me is that the warning light also includes low oil pressure warning.

If me, for peace of mind, I would just get it checked out at the dealer, but it is probably as others have pointed out the pop up needs deleting...????

Nothing about low oil pressure there. He only needs to watch to see that the low oil pressure warning light (nothing to do with a service advisory notice) goes out straight away upon start up to see that the pressure is ok.

6 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Don't think that's quite correct. I have a service (Oil, Oil filter, clean A/C filter, Grease prop) every 5k on my Tuna and they have never reset the ECU. I sit with my lump every time so I can see what's going on. So somewhere along the line he either has a problem or a fault. As others have said get it sorted ASAP. 

You have a propshaft with UJ's that have grease nipples? That would be very unusual these days.

2 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:
9 hours ago, fredob43 said:

You have a propshaft with UJ's that have grease nipples? That would be very unusual these days.

Hold on while fredo grabs his flashlight and goes out and actually has a look underneath his lump.

Why are you asking this question on here ? A trip to your nearest Dealer will probably have the message removed in seconds after an OBD scan. Lack of mechanical sympathy or knowledge can be very expensive, do not ignore warning lights or messages. Should a fault exist and your engine goes bang on the way to the Dealers and you have told everyone the warning has been happening for a while bang goes your warranty.

On 11/22/2019 at 10:47 PM, NanLaew said:

If only for them to reset a faulty sensor and the resultant peace of mind, why not? Lot's of electronics these days even for simple things like oil pressure, temp, etc.. Otherwise, ignoring the warnings could leave you liable for the cost of any repairs regardless of the warranty. Sort of like ignoring the glowering red 'oil light' on my old Standard Vanguard just because it still sounded OK like Massey-Ferguson straight four tractor engines do.

Have you checked the oil using the dipstick and had a squint under the bonnet? Not unknown for filters to be incorrectly tightened up.

You say you've "been performing routine maintenance". Does that mean DIY servicing or are you simply following the schedule and the dealership is doing the work? I would think that since you bought it new, you would be letting them do it if only for warranty validation but you never know.

Over the years and even more  so now with all the fly by wire etc you occasionally get a blip and an error message comes up, on my 3 year old Navara out of the blue a red warning flashed up "Low Oil" which happened a day after a Nissan service, i pulled over about to go ballistic as i checked the dipstick and nope everything was fine and have  never seen the message again, what is more common-are the reported instances of limp mode syndrome ( no ruderies please) not i may add on any particular model that are in there self a warning if an impending failure that is simply reset.

13 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

Nothing about low oil pressure there. He only needs to watch to see that the low oil pressure warning light (nothing to do with a service advisory notice) goes out straight away upon start up to see that the pressure is ok.

Oil warning light goes out even at low oil pressure, such as idling, my concern would be oil pressure as rpm builds...

12 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

Well now you know. All my 3 Toyotas, Vigo, and two Tunas, have had grease nipples on the props. All have been 4x4 and they have at least 12 nipples on them. The rear prop is a split one that has 6/8? + there's the prop from the splitter box to the front axle that has around 4. 

All should be greased at 10k KM service. 5k if it goes through water or used on high speed runs or heavy traffic. (IT'S IN THE BOOK) if you care to read. That goes for the oil & filter in the engine, that's why I have my 10k service done at 5k.

N/B the prop grease is not on any service sheet that Toyo seem to use so as I have said before I sit with my Lump whilst they do it and point out what I want done. My place doesn't charge, but some will charge you 150 for doing it. Now your as clued up as Fredo.

For Nanlaew. 

I don't know about lots of cars, but one thing I do know a Lot about is Toyotas. And no I wont be looking under my Lump with a light.

On 11/23/2019 at 6:12 AM, canthai55 said:

Reset the service indicator in the ECU. Needs to be done after every service or the computer does not know it has been done and will display the 'Do It'

BMW had that 30 years ago when you needed a special tool to set this light back. It comes on after an amount of km's even if the oil level and filter is alright.

There's gotta be an option to reset it right after the oil and filter change and it starts at zero. 

Archived