BANGKOK
KhaoYai

Unresponsive Laptop on TV

Just recently, if I've been on the forum for longer than say 30 minutes, my laptop becomes unresponsive.

The first thing that I notice is that when typing, the letters start arriving on the page a few seconds after I've actually typed them. Then pages take a long time to change and eventually my laptop completely freezes. I cannot even close it down in the normal way and have to hold down the power button to close it. During this time I can hear my hard drive working away all the time whether I'm doing anything or not.

Just recently I also get an annoying little pop up advertising thing in the bottom left hand corner of my screen. I can click that off but it returns if I change pages. Firefox is set to prevent pop ups.

This doesn't happen on any other site although TV is the only one I spend much time on. I'm running Windows 10, using a Firefox Browser and I've cleared my cache recently.

I've tried clicking on the 'Support' tab at the top of the page but it doesn't work. 'Activity', 'Browse' and 'More' work but not 'Support'.

Any thoughts?  Be gentle - I'm not the world's best at tech.

Edited by KhaoYai

The universe is sending you a message. 

It only happens on TVF.  You do the math...

(Sorry, not a clue here)

Good suggestions from beautifulthailand99. I can't think of anything to add.

• Like 1

yes, I do fix my multiple computers often so it will work for you too.

your computer install extra file somewhere and you have to get rid of it.

start from control panel--open to see all installed programs and if you see something fishy uninstall it.

second approach is more simple and is the best--find recovery option in control panel and recover your software to factory setup.

Prolly you browser needs to dump cache

Install and run the following from Snapfiles

Kaspersky free AV

Bleach Bit

Malwarebytes

Superantispyware

Spybot Search Destroy

The last you need to immunize before running and will take awhile to complete.

Delete all items that return in searches.

Rootkit is possible.

For TV site install UBlock, privacy badger. See that any script running is not unresponsive. Check your extensions are quality and not too many.

Google: reset Firefox. It's simple. Under about see you are updated to latest rev

Above poster provides a great tip. Open the programs window from control panel. Have a look. Only standard programs should exist. If you used an installer program or got the OS installed illegally here in Thailand they always load all sorts of <deleted> on the PC. Remove all suspect programs.

Edited by Number 6

6 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Run a good anti-virus program -I use Avast and it's free for the standard program. Run smart scan first , then full virus scan and then a boot time scan.

Install cc cleaner and do a full cleanup of your pc and use the registry cleaner as well. 

You can use this to see what is loading up at startup - disable anything you don't use to make it faster.

Finally run malwarebytes as a final cleanup for malware, phishing programs and the likes. 

How full is the laptop hard disk ? If it's over 80% try offloading stuff you don't need to an external disk - this recommends 25% !

https://www.howtogeek.com/324956/how-much-free-space-should-you-leave-on-your-windows-pc/

Hopefully that will sort out any gremlins you may have developed over the months. 

Excellent suggestions, exactly what i use keeps nasties away!

• Like 1

QUOTE from OP: Just recently I also get an annoying little pop up advertising thing in the bottom left hand corner of my screen. I can click that off but it returns if I change pages. Firefox is set to prevent pop ups.

Same thing here, and I am travelling through Portugal - I have absolutely no need for these annoying pop ups (in Portuguese!!!).

And it happens only with TV Forum, so no virus or ad infection.

If this continues, it will be a reason for me to not visit this forum again.

3 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

SORRY!!!!!

The popups stopped for a while, now they are back.

Time for you to install the Adguard extension.. 

• Thanks 1

328/5000

OP, you probably have a virus.

As said before, Avast is effective, but especially in prevention.

In curative, I advise you to install Malwayrebyte (free trial 15 days) and run a full scan. Then you can uninstall to keep the benefit of free for future use.

2 minutes ago, Victornoir said:
328/5000

OP, you probably have a virus.

As said before, Avast is effective, but especially in prevention.

In curative, I advise you to install Malwayrebyte (free trial 15 days) and run a full scan. Then you can uninstall to keep the benefit of free for future use.

Strange that I have the exact same - multiple - symptons.

And like the OP, only with TV Forum.

I'm not into conspiration theories, but.......

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Strange that I have the exact same - multiple - symptons.

And like the OP, only with TV Forum.

I'm not into conspiration theories, but.......

I think it TVF location sensitive video ads. I view TVF on a desktop but on a mobile it's a nightmare. 

• Sad 1