Unresponsive Laptop on TV

KhaoYai

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Most of us probably know the reason for the problem but forum rules means we can't discuss it.

Very true.

I just opened some tabs of TV forum with "pure"Firefox browser.

5 tabs or so and memory goes through the roof (2.5 GB!).

It needs about twice the number of tabs with Chrome to go above 2 GB.

So less likely/takes longer with Chrome for your PC/laptop go belly up, being seemingly unresponsive.

Buy more RAM :saai:

Opened Firefox.

Opened Forum home.

Opened 11 subforum index pages.

Changed through the tabs forth and back.

Memory used by Firefox peaked at about 4.5 GB(!!).

Depending on RAM amount a PC/laptop would feel like frozen.

With Chrome or other browser it might take longer, less memory eaten.

But still....

15 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Very true.

I just opened some tabs of TV forum with "pure"Firefox browser.

5 tabs or so and memory goes through the roof (2.5 GB!).

It needs about twice the number of tabs with Chrome to go above 2 GB.

So less likely/takes longer with Chrome for your PC/laptop go belly up, being seemingly unresponsive.

Buy more RAM :saai:

LOL. Nothing to do with tabs or memory.

I don't understand why you need to have more than one TVF tab open, if I understand what a tab is.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't understand why you need to have more than one TVF tab open, if I understand what a tab is.

Then why does opening multiple tabs consume more memory? Although my laptop has never been crippled like the OP's, on my desktop PC that has flower spec hardware and resources, I note that sometimes a selected page won't stop loading and I have to refresh it or, sometimes when I am typing a response, the input is glacial with the typed text appearing in spurts. This change maybe started about a month ago? My main browser is Firefox but I can also use Chrome. Next time FF gets slow and poky, I will try Chrome and see how it behaves.

I open multiple tabs as I set up for my morning or evening browse by right-clicking stories on the right-hand-side Topics column that take my fancy. That way I don't have to go back to the home page or open each sub-forum where system refresh may have moved the story off the Topics list.

There are different ways of using a browser and specifically viewing TV.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Then why does opening multiple tabs consume more memory? Although my laptop has never been crippled like the OP's, on my desktop PC that has flower spec hardware and resources, I note that sometimes a selected page won't stop loading and I have to refresh it or, sometimes when I am typing a response, the input is glacial with the typed text appearing in spurts. This change maybe started about a month ago? My main browser is Firefox but I can also use Chrome. Next time FF gets slow and poky, I will try Chrome and see how it behaves.

I open multiple tabs as I set up for my morning or evening browse by right-clicking stories on the right-hand-side Topics column that take my fancy. That way I don't have to go back to the home page or open each sub-forum where system refresh may have moved the story off the Topics list.

There are different ways of using a browser and specifically viewing TV.

That's not what I meant. The problems on TVF are, IMO, not to do with memory or how many tabs are open, but with the things that we can not discuss.

Eg. when the pop up started was when my tablet performance went down, but I was not doing anything differently.

The point is that TVF USED to work fine ( though slow ) on my tablet, and even not doing anything differently it suddenly became unusable. ERGO, it is something that TVF did, not because I suddenly decided to open multiple tabs, which I haven't. The only thing that had changed was the pop up, and the performance went down at the same time. Is that a co incidence?

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

a single browser page can use over 700 mb,

10 open pages 7 gb which is more RAM then my computer has, on top of <deleted>ty operating system i.e win 10,

means that the computer has to resort to hdd

which moves at glacial speed in comparison,, i dont have solid state disk

Archived