Rent a condo from a private owner - precautions?

Hi guys, 

I've previously rented an apartment on two different occasions: once 3 months via airbnb and once 1 year via an real estate office/agent. It was an smooth experience all around. 

Via one of the Facebook group I have found a woman that rent out condos. Scrolling her own page I can see that she has published different condo-ads for 3 or 4 years. She's in many groups, has a dedicated Line page etc. 

I'm about to sign a contract with her next week and she's giving me a sum to deposit, which is all fair and good. 

However, dealing with a private person: what are the precautions I could take? Could I dare to ask for a passport copy of her? Is it "fraud" in Thailand to take a deposit and go AWOL? Is this a "common fraud"? Can I create leverage in any way? 

Thanks ????

The first thing I can think of, is that the contract and the reciept of deposit according to the contract will be your most powerful leverage.

If a person wants to disappear, they can do that easy and it´s hard to protect yourself from. 

If you meet her when signing contract, then you can tell her that you need to make a TM28/TM30, and need copy of her housebook and ID card for that.

She strikes me as a broker or agent. I'm certain you'll get far less attention after you've signed. When leaving you'll have to negotiate two people to get your deposit back. So, not likely imo. Then there's TM 30.

I'd just rent an apartment. People seem to have so many problems with condo rental. Or rent a condo direct from the building office.

If you have inspected the condo while accompanied by this woman that mean that she is authorized to handle the property, you can have a quick chat to the juristic office to verify that they know this woman and it's all on the up an and up...

When you rent a condo you should have a rental contract plus a copy of the ownership documents and ID of the owner.  If this woman is not the owner (which it seems may be the case), then you need documents about her business, including tax ID number.

And a mentioned, assurance in writing that she will file the initial TM28/TM30 documents for you.

Anything in writing is worthless in Thailand.

Go through a company that can't run away. Pay the minimum you can until you have they keys is your hand.

If you want 'leverage' buy a fulcrum. There is no 'leverage' in Asia for foreigners.

My daughter has  2 x Fully furnished  36 SQ Condo's in Jomtien We had a Broker looking after them she stole the Furniture from 1 of the units, she dissapeared after we reported the furniture missing,

My Daughter now looks after the 2 x  Condos & Prepares all documents ie Rental Contract, TM Reporting.

plus the Tennants has copy of her ID, Rental Contract, plus copy of TM28/30 doucments, plus her Ph no if any issues,

Most helpful as always, all of you - thanks! 

The deposit isn't huge and I'm actually more concerned of not having a unit when arriving. 

Anyways, she will supply me with her ID, the owners ID, a written contract and a deposit instruction. Of course it's not water proof but at least not a "can you send via western union xxx..."

Will keep you posted.

I have rented from an agency and private persons, all western, so I have no experience renting from Thais. In each imstance, I had a contract, security deposits were made and returned in full. In several cases, I had copies of the owners ID/Passport, as they had a copy of mine. Interviews go both ways. I assessed the owner while they assessed me. When money was passed, I used a bank transfer several times as that can be tracked if necessary. Good luck and so slow, it's a renters market.

Archived