Nist vs Patana

Petally

Educationally both seem great, we like IB for 11 and 12 grade and happy with either British or ib for lower grades.

Commute to Patana from around Ekkamai or Thong Lor doesnt seem bad although obviously nist closer.

For us, the key is pastoral care and support and which is better. And that's hard to assess.

Does anyone have any experience or input?

Thanks.

NIST is American and Pattana British curriculum. I'd think that would drive a big part of your decision. I've met teachers from both schools and was impressed. The NIST elementary teachers really sharp and creative. I've known a few parents with kids at NIST. Were very happy. Cannot really comment on pastoral services, positions, quality or quantity of services.

Edited by Number 6

Actually nist is IB throughout and Patana british with some ib up to 10th grade and also IB in 11th and 12th grade for the diploma programme.

I'm happy with ib or british for middle and primary years and ib for diploma (rather than a levels). So both schooks could work for us curriculum wise.

Before people move too far away from your actual question by discussing things like facilities and location, the pastoral care and support at Patana we've seen over the past three years with our son's classes has been very good (he started in nursery).  The school seems to put extra effort into making new students and their parents feel welcome.  It is a very big school and can feel overwhelming at times, but the school seems to recognize that and does a great job.  The few times I take the bus with my son to the school has shown me that the students seem to enjoy each others' company and they get along well (much more different from the sullen rides in the school bus I remember as a kid).  The staff keep a close eye on this as well, including bus monitors.  My guess is that NIST is just as attentive (no complaints about pastoral care and support from the few parents I know with kids there), so you really can't make a bad choice based on your criteria.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's been 9 years since we left NIST and daughter did grades 5-7 (her first year in Thailand she went to a second-tier school which was a bit disastrous).   The school spent a lot of time supporting her in her transition - she didn't do terribly well emotionally in a really big school - as well as helping her catch up in the subjects where she had fallen behind at her first Bangkok school.   We liked the pastoral care (though I understand 3 of 4 counsellors moved on this year).  We loved the wrap-around education experience and the choices offered, including lots of sport.  We weren't so keen on the really-really-really-rich kids, many of whom had been in the school together since pre-school and who tended to band together against the more transient students.  Our daughter wasn't resilient enough to stand up to the "why don't you have an iPhone, your own car/driver, endless pocket-money" crew...  Luckily it was a big enough school that everyone seems to find their own group.

After a few years back home daughter then moved to Prem Tinsulanonda in Chiang Mai as a boarder for the two final years (IB). That was her choice as she wanted a small school with outdoor facilities.  Being out in the countryside there wasn't as much pressure to party, as they really only went into town (on the school-organised bus) on weekends.  Ultimately we found Prem was a better fit for our particular child at that particular time in her life.   But NIST did nothing wrong, and indeed did lots right in preparing our daughter for her subsequent study life.

Incidentally after completing IB she has found the first two years of university a breeze, says the workload is much less pressured and she has better planning and execution skills than most of her classmates.  

• Like 1

Both excellent schools, almost indistinguishable in terms of quality. 

Location must play a significant factor in choice.

NIST is Geographically closer to us, but strangely its quicker to get to Bangkok Patana using the expressway. 

When I was researching schools a few years ago I think NIST is slightly more expensive.

If I couldn’t get my Son into either NIST, Bangkok Patana or St. Andrews (Suk 71) I would have moved back to the UK. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/2/2020 at 4:43 PM, richard_smith237 said:

If I couldn’t get my Son into either NIST, Bangkok Patana or St. Andrews (Suk 71) I would have moved back to the UK. 

Is Suk 71 St Andrews the same standard as Patana?

All i've got to go off is their websites, and comments on the internet and i do know Patana is one of the more prestigious schools in BKK.

I'm looking to move to BKK with my 11 year old, and wasn't sure if both the St Andrews schools were of a far lower standard . The last time I spent a significant amount of time in BKK they were both relatively knew.

I do see Andres Suk 71 have waived the entrance fee, which is something Patana have refused to do, but if Patana is significantly better then maybe its a case of finding it from somewhere.

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2021 at 5:51 AM, LesserEvil said:

St Andrews schools were of a far lower standard .

For starters, St Andrews hires locally. The recent salary I'd seen was low and on par with middling EFL salaries in Bangkok. NIST and Pattana do not hire locally at all (at least by advert). The latter two will insist on home credentials and experience.

NIST and Pattana are arguably the two best schools in Thailand.

Edited by kynikoi
  • Like 1