German tourist killed, struck by parasail speedboat propeller, off Kamala

rooster59

On 11/23/2019 at 7:31 AM, fruitman said:

Almost every day a tourist dies in Phuket... on the water or on the road....and the authorities do nothing.

What could they do to prevent this from happening apart from stopping careless Germans from swimming where they're clearly not supposed to?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/23/2019 at 9:04 PM, freestyle said:

Thailand beach waters would be much nicer without:
- jetski's
- parasail- en banana boats
- random passenger speed boats coming and going
- ugly swim area ropes

Obligate ALL BOATS to ONLY arrive at beaches that currently have PIERS.
People can take taxi's from there, and all the other beaches stay nice and quiet like this.

When we stay on a nice beach, we won't have to rent a stupid speedboat to see a nice beach further away.

Problem is the underlying reason for all beach activities are to generate income from tourists. People also come to Thailand for things they cannot do easily in their own countries such as parasailing. Tourists do not want boats to park far away from their hotels if possible. Arriving tourists ( mostly) want the most bang for their bucks and lying quietly on the beach is not their idea of spending their holidays on the beach especially for those package tours Chinese and Indian tourists. Different groups of tourists have different idea of what a beach should be. 

On 11/23/2019 at 7:31 AM, fruitman said:

Almost every day a tourist dies in Phuket... on the water or on the road....and the authorities do nothing.

On 11/23/2019 at 5:37 AM, PatOngo said:

Phuket authorities should be well versed in dealing with tourist fatalities, it has become an almost daily occurrence!

What  absolutely ridiculous statements. On average probably less than 100 'foreigners' (including Burmese) die in Phuket every year and that's being generous. The boat sinking last year (46 casualties) and the Tsunami (250 all up including locals) are aberrations and occur anywhere statistics are compiled. 

I do wish people would get their facts straight before slagging off Phuket from their armchairs.

On 11/23/2019 at 7:34 AM, Matzzon said:

What should the authorities do in this case? Put up a sign togheter with the already visible line in the middle of the water?

Its called bouys and rope, section off an area for swimming only. 

My country has that arrangement. Does yours?

6 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

What  absolutely ridiculous statements. On average probably less than 100 'foreigners' (including Burmese) die in Phuket every year and that's being generous

A year has 365 days, so yes that's almost every day a foreigner who dies in Phuket.

How's your business doing in Phuket?

10 minutes ago, featography said:

Its called bouys and rope, section off an area for swimming only. 

My country has that arrangement. Does yours?

Did you read it was a visible line? What you take a small guess that the line is held above water with bouys?

In that case, it looks like Thailand has that arrangement too. Or at least that´s an assumption you can make if you read the news before posting.

(BTW: What arrangements yours and my country has, are totally irrelevant. Here we have to focus on how things are in Thailand)

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

What  absolutely ridiculous statements. On average probably less than 100 'foreigners' (including Burmese) die in Phuket every year and that's being generous. The boat sinking last year (46 casualties) and the Tsunami (250 all up including locals) are aberrations and occur anywhere statistics are compiled. 

I do wish people would get their facts straight before slagging off Phuket from their armchairs.

You may notice I said almost daily! Let's say a tourist gets killed every three and a half days, that would tally with your figure! Not something to be proud of, is it? Not something to blow your bugle about!

As others have posted, a prop guard should be mandatory on all tourist related boats, i have made these for boats when working at Airlie Beach OZ, it is not rocket science and can be made easily here. As a small boat owner here, i have seen many tourists swimming up to 1 km off shore, hard to see when there are so many coconuts floating around ie. is it a head or not and traveling at 18 knots, coming into shore they wont move out the way so you can manoeuvre to drop anchor, even come closer.

already in 2000 than 2016 than 2017 and last year 2018....Thais don't learn from their mistakes and keep making false promises, this type of accidents are easy to prevent if proper regulation was implemented about their speed boats/long tail boats, by covering their propellers

1 December accident in Thailand – 1 December 2018 The Thaiger (Thailand) “Female tourist injured by speedboat propellor at Koh Phi Phi”

Phuket

Tourists hurt by long-tail propeller

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Published 20 years ago  on  April 8, 2000  By

PHUKETGAZETTE3January 9-15, 2016Wuttichai Srithai. Photo: KritsadaMueanhawongMr Yothin (in pink) told officers that he Speedboat driver hits, killsFrench snorkeller in Krabi

Archived