BANGKOK
Pravda

So many great monthly deals on AirBnB

Makes me wonder why would anyone lock themselves into a contract and deposit for 12 months. 

With internet, ecectric and TV included it literally comes out to be the same price as long term rental.... And if you don't like your neighborhood... Bye bye. 

• Like 2

Do you have to put down a big security deposit on Airbnb?

I personally would consider this , if I could see the Airbnb first and it was legally done. 

Unfortunately Airbnb was made illegal in Thailand. The host needs an hotel licence to operate. There still places listed but they are illegal.

• Like 1

I dont think hotel license is needed if landlord uses AirBnB To rent out his/her place long term.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

Unfortunately Airbnb was made illegal in Thailand.

No, it has no been made illegal.

I am looking at monthly rentals.

• Like 2

I think there are ways to overcome it. They can make a contract making it appear as if the rental period is officially at least one month long. At least that is something one owner was saying in his AirBnB posting. After my last experience going the traditional and official route I would be hesitant to rent even for six months, and never for a year. Luckily I have found a reliable owner who has many units and rents for one month only. Never had any problems with her.

Edited by rabang

On 11/23/2019 at 7:43 AM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Care to share examples some of those supposed good deals?

There are good deals to be had, I have had several but my most recent booking turned into total loss, so you are not wrong to be a bit sceptical.

I had booked 4 nights in HCMC and when we arrived found that there were no towels in the apartment. I contacted the host which wasn't easy as there was no information on how to use the internet. It started about 5pm and by 7pm we were no further forward so we picked our bags up, hadn't unpacked, and booked into a hotel, about an hour later we got a message saying she was coming to resolve the problem.

When I got home I made a complaint to Airbnb and tried to get a refund but they were not interested, said I hadn't given the host enough time to fix the matter and hadn't notified them within 24 hours.

Airbnb are more concerned about hosts than guests, they need the hosts to make the listings look good, so people should be wary.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2019 at 8:13 AM, SteveK said:

Do you have to put down a big security deposit on Airbnb?

No, you have to pay when you make the booking, but the payment can be split with 50% immediate and the balance a few weeks prior to the booking. You have to register a payment method and they collect the funds as and when.

18 hours ago, geisha said:

I personally would consider this , if I could see the Airbnb first and it was legally done. 

Not possible, you do not get the address until you have confirmed the booking.

12 hours ago, Trek800 said:

I dont think hotel license is needed if landlord uses AirBnB To rent out his/her place long term.

Or short term, I had a log cabin with swimming pool in its own grounds to the south of Hua Hin for a few days. No licence required and certainly not illegal.

What the court ruled that where a condo owner wanted to rent out a condo, the total number of condos in the building had to be taken into account, not just what was owned.

22 hours ago, Pravda said:

No, it has no been made illegal.

I am looking at monthly rentals.

it is illegal..

1 hour ago, kralledr said:

it is illegal..

Wrong 🙂