So many great monthly deals on AirBnB

Makes me wonder why would anyone lock themselves into a contract and deposit for 12 months. 

With internet, ecectric and TV included it literally comes out to be the same price as long term rental.... And if you don't like your neighborhood... Bye bye. 

• Like 2

I think there are ways to overcome it. They can make a contract making it appear as if the rental period is officially at least one month long. At least that is something one owner was saying in his AirBnB posting. After my last experience going the traditional and official route I would be hesitant to rent even for six months, and never for a year. Luckily I have found a reliable owner who has many units and rents for one month only. Never had any problems with her.

Edited by rabang

On 11/23/2019 at 7:43 AM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Care to share examples some of those supposed good deals?

There are good deals to be had, I have had several but my most recent booking turned into total loss, so you are not wrong to be a bit sceptical.

I had booked 4 nights in HCMC and when we arrived found that there were no towels in the apartment. I contacted the host which wasn't easy as there was no information on how to use the internet. It started about 5pm and by 7pm we were no further forward so we picked our bags up, hadn't unpacked, and booked into a hotel, about an hour later we got a message saying she was coming to resolve the problem.

When I got home I made a complaint to Airbnb and tried to get a refund but they were not interested, said I hadn't given the host enough time to fix the matter and hadn't notified them within 24 hours.

Airbnb are more concerned about hosts than guests, they need the hosts to make the listings look good, so people should be wary.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2019 at 8:13 AM, SteveK said:

Do you have to put down a big security deposit on Airbnb?

No, you have to pay when you make the booking, but the payment can be split with 50% immediate and the balance a few weeks prior to the booking. You have to register a payment method and they collect the funds as and when.

12 hours ago, Trek800 said:

I dont think hotel license is needed if landlord uses AirBnB To rent out his/her place long term.

Or short term, I had a log cabin with swimming pool in its own grounds to the south of Hua Hin for a few days. No licence required and certainly not illegal.

What the court ruled that where a condo owner wanted to rent out a condo, the total number of condos in the building had to be taken into account, not just what was owned.

you really dont want to get into airbnb here. the actual residents at the condo/apartment know its illegal and its just uncomfortable feeling like an intruder. host telling you not to talk to anyone, how to sneak into the place, etc. then requesting extra money for electric. 

Edited by at15
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, at15 said:

you really dont want to get into airbnb here. the actual residents at the condo/apartment know its illegal and its just uncomfortable feeling like an intruder. host telling you not to talk to anyone, how to sneak into the place, etc. then requesting extra money for electric. 

Again.... it is perfectly legal to rent for one month or more.

And AirBnB is not illegal. Short term rentals for less than a month are. AirBnB has nothing to do with it.

13 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Just wow. Airbnb is not a hotel chain. You should've gotten a SIM card at the airport, and you should've given the host at least a few hours to resolve the situation.

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion, what does a "few hours" actually mean.

If after 2 hours the host is still trying to dispute what you are saying it is time to make a serious assessment, and being late evening your own welfare must take priority. 

If you think that Airbnb are right to ignore the welfare of guests then that is up to you.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/24/2019 at 9:44 AM, sandyf said:

There are good deals to be had, I have had several but my most recent booking turned into total loss, so you are not wrong to be a bit sceptical.

I had booked 4 nights in HCMC and when we arrived found that there were no towels in the apartment. I contacted the host which wasn't easy as there was no information on how to use the internet. It started about 5pm and by 7pm we were no further forward so we picked our bags up, hadn't unpacked, and booked into a hotel, about an hour later we got a message saying she was coming to resolve the problem.

When I got home I made a complaint to Airbnb and tried to get a refund but they were not interested, said I hadn't given the host enough time to fix the matter and hadn't notified them within 24 hours.

Airbnb are more concerned about hosts than guests, they need the hosts to make the listings look good, so people should be wary.

Total loss? Just cuz there were no towels? I am not surprise you were refused a refund. I expect the owner still had to pay Airbnb.

5 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Cant see any reason to use Airbnb in Thailand as a decent hotel is cheap anyway. Plus you know what you are in for, with Airbnb you have no idea, they don't vet the hosts who could be criminals or murderers for all you know.

Or...or.... Chinese or Indian ????

• Haha 1

On 11/24/2019 at 9:44 AM, sandyf said:

Airbnb are more concerned about hosts than guests, 

That is completely false. As an Airbnb host with over 6 properties in the past I can assure you that guests get away with murder and the host is always on the hook. There must be more to your story than what you lead on. I would compare guests on Airbnb to having as much power as customers on Amazon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

That would be your simple minded interpretation, do really think there was not more to it than that.

The owner did not believe there were no towels and reluctant to address the problem. The apartment in general was not in keeping with the description, Airbnb does not give owners licence to tell lies. 

Generally I have been more than satisfied with the accommodation I have been in but not the case this time round. Airbnb should do more to ensure the details listed are correct, or do you think that is too much to expect.

Perhaps if you had put more information in your original post......

You should try being a landlord and see a whole new perspective. Or are you too simple minded to think of that?

AirBnB, Uber, Grab, eBay, Amazon and other companies are all pro customer. To say that they are on sellers side is absolutely ridiculous for 1 reason. They are not using their inventory and all the refunds they give come from the owners/drivers/sellers. in return they get repeat buyers.

I deal a lot with Amazon and try being a seller there. You can send a package, have it signed by a customer and they can still claim non delivery and Amazon will gladly refund their money that, of course, comes out of your own pocket. Not only that, your defect rate will go up which puts you at risk of getting banned from selling on their site.

On 12/19/2019 at 6:46 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

You should try being a landlord and see a whole new perspective. Or are you too simple minded to think of that?

Another irrelevant simple minded argument.

Just supports my point that hosts believe it does not need to do what it says on the tin.

On 12/19/2019 at 9:28 AM, Orton Rd said:

Cant see any reason to use Airbnb in Thailand as a decent hotel is cheap anyway. Plus you know what you are in for, with Airbnb you have no idea, they don't vet the hosts who could be criminals or murderers for all you know.

Yeah my last time with AirBnB was such an unpleasant experience I won't be dealing with them anymore for a short term stay. Doesn't make any sense IMO for a stay shorter than one week at least. If I am normally living in a condo doesn't feel too much of a holiday to stay in another one instead of a nice hotel or resort.

On 12/19/2019 at 2:28 AM, Orton Rd said:

Multiply a hotel room cost times 30

then the cost of an equivalent Airbnb 

starting to see the reason now?

Read the reviews , do your homework, I’ve had nothing but great stays 

Edited by Ron jeremy
  • Like 1