Thaksin’s acquittal in TPI case upheld by Supreme Court panel of judges

rooster59

Thaksin’s acquittal in TPI case upheld by Supreme Court panel of judges

taksin1.jpg

A panel of nine Supreme Court judges today upheld the acquittal, delivered by the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Political Office Holders on fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, in connection with the rehabilitation plan for the financially-troubled Thai Petrochemical Industry (TPI) about 16 years ago.

Thaksin was charged in absentia with malfeasance in office by the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) for appointing the Finance Ministry to administer a rehabilitation plan, to prevent TPI going bankrupt after its foreign debts ballooned from 65Bn to 130Bn baht following the devaluation of the baht currency in 1997.  The NACC claimed that the Finance Ministry had no authority to run the private firm, TPI, which has now been renamed IRPC.

The panel of judges, which serves as the court of appeal for cases tried by the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Political Office Holders, overruled the NACC’s submission, that the Finance Ministry has no authority to administer TPI, on the grounds its bankruptcy would badly affect many people if it was not administered by the Finance Ministry.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thaksins-acquittal-in-tpi-case-upheld-by-supreme-court-panel-of-judges/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-11-23

He was alot like Trump...enriching himself and family with his position but Issan folk still love him because he actually paid attention to them. My problem with him was all extra-judicial killings in the North of "drug dealers". My wife and in-laws love him and Yingluck

18 minutes ago, POMRAKSIAM said:

He was alot like Trump...enriching himself and family with his position but Issan folk still love him because he actually paid attention to them. My problem with him was all extra-judicial killings in the North of "drug dealers". My wife and in-laws love him and Yingluck

He was certainly better than Prayuth and old fatty and other cohorts.

And he could be voted out if somone better came along !!!!

34 minutes ago, POMRAKSIAM said:

Well the most likely explanation is that Mr T himself wasn't squeaky clean and had some dirty dealings in the past, particularly during his tenure as a senior police officer, however there's nobody left alive to accuse him of anything as he had the entire lot wiped out the minute he became PM. 

2 hours ago, POMRAKSIAM said:

You just can't help it every time Trump this Trump that, we are talking about Thailand here. Why not compare T to Obama, Clinton, Pelosi or Biden or any of the career politicians who become billionaires? The fact is T with just his name on a ballot paper would win and so would his sister. 

14 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

You just can't help it every time Trump this Trump that, we are talking about Thailand here. Why not compare T to Obama, Clinton, Pelosi or Biden or any of the career politicians who become billionaires? The fact is T with just his name on a ballot paper would win and so would his sister. 

Hillary and her uranium deal with the Russians

5 hours ago, TSF said:

Well the most likely explanation is that Mr T himself wasn't squeaky clean and had some dirty dealings in the past, particularly during his tenure as a senior police officer, however there's nobody left alive to accuse him of anything as he had the entire lot wiped out the minute he became PM. 

Don't you know the reason why there will never be any investigation about it?

6 hours ago, POMRAKSIAM said:

He was not worse than other Thai elected or self- appointed politicians before and after his government, and surely better than the ones in power for the last 5 years.

6 hours ago, TSF said:

Wow !! Didn't know that. Would  appreciate some links to confirm this. 

Naturally, if no links are provided we will have to assume you are getting way ahead of yourself.

8 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Like he gives a Fuk, Toxin's problem he got to greedy

Thaksins problem, or I should say the military's problem was he was too popular.

Can't have, in a democracy, people deciding who they want as PM. That's a reserved job for the military Neanderthals.

Every successful Asian economy started with a strong man who was as corrupt as all the rest.  Their families all ended up extremely wealthy.   But they were able to control access to the money trough so there was enough left over to grow the economy.  Thailand's problem is that there is no discipline at the trough.  It's a free for all.  And when everyone is finished taking all they can, there's not enough left over to grow the country. 

Thailand needs a strong man who can instill some discipline in how much gets looted, leaving enough in the treasury to grow the economy (and maybe burn some trash).

Was Thaksin that strong man?  I don't pretend to know.  But it seems that he was able to control the trough well enough to channel some money to poor folks who still love him for it.

Archived