Chao Phraya River sufficient water supply until next year: RID

rooster59

Chao Phraya River sufficient water supply until next year: RID

Tanakorn Sangiam

8303afee2253a8ec61d5cb24587f9762_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Royal Irrigation Department (RID) has released latest water availability report, showing the Chao Phraya River now holding 5,400 billion cubic meters of water, which is sufficient for consumption until next year’s dry season.

RID’s Deputy Director General Taweesak Thanadechophol there is currently 50 billion cubic meters of water available in Thailand, of which some 26 billion cubic meters are for consumption from 1 November 2019 to 30 April 2020. Some of this water will be retained as an additional 3-month supply in case of insufficient rainfall ahead of the new crop season.

Water availability in the central region’s Chao Phraya River Basin, measured on 1 November 2019, was 5.4 billion cubic meters. Of this amount, some water has been allocated for consumption and environmental protection over the next 9 months.

In the central region, where rice is the most common crop, the harvesting of in-season crops is almost complete. Some farmers, however, are still growing off-season crops, which currently requires a water supply for some 1,600 square kilometers of rice farms. The authorities have been discouraging farmers from cultivating off-season crops due to limited water supply.

Meanwhile, the Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul has addressed a recent warning from the Office of National Water Resources about a potential drought in 20 provinces, saying that all hospitals in affected provinces already have drought management plans in place.

nnd.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2019-11-23

19 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The Royal Irrigation Department (RID) has released latest water availability report, showing the Chao Phraya River now holding 5,400 billion cubic meters of water, which is sufficient for consumption until next year’s dry season.

Yup, we all know from previous experience, the chances are now that after an official statement saying one thing, next week/month there will be another one contradicting the first.

So, I'm guessing that in December or January there will be another announcement about the dangerously low level of water available.

13 hours ago, rooster59 said:

for consumption

???
No way for consumption with all those pesticides, infections, contaminations, pollution, rats and more. Not even one drop after it is boiled. Accoring to FDA procedures the company is not allowed to use tap water in Bangkok !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Is this another case of poor and inaccurate reporting or am I just having a case of poor numeracy?

On 11/23/2019 at 8:18 AM, rooster59 said:

...... now holding 5,400 billion cubic meters of water ...…...

All I can see is 50 billion here and 5.4 billion there.  Nothing comes close to 5,400 billion.  Could it be that the figure should be 5,400 million?

3 hours ago, losername said:

Is this another case of poor and inaccurate reporting or am I just having a case of poor numeracy?

All I can see is 50 billion here and 5.4 billion there.  Nothing comes close to 5,400 billion.  Could it be that the figure should be 5,400 million?

The Thai can't calculate, so what?

I bought 2 things from 400 baht yesterday, the girl had to check the sum 3 times on her calculator!

Archived