Hiring a scooter for a few days, no motorbike license but car license

bbi1

Going with the Thai gf to Krabi for a holiday. Any recommendations for where to hire a scooter at Noppharat Thara Beach or Ao Nang Beach where they won't try and rip you off claiming false damages? Also what are the rates to hire for 3-4 days? I've watched a Youtube video that said it's 150 baht per day if hiring for 3-4 days.

How's the police situation everywhere in Krabi with foreigners riding scooters, do they stop us and ask for licenses like in Pattaya or they just leave us alone? Any issues with a foreigner riding around using an foreign car driver's license, no motorbike license.

Any recommendations on the best way to get from Krabi Airport to Noppharat Thara Beach where our hotel is?

I do not know what the local Krabi practice will be.   But according to the law it is illegal to drive a car or motorcycle without either a Thai driver's license or an International Driver's license.  And, repeat AND, they have to specify motorcycle to drive a motorcycle.    This is randomly enforced in different locations and under different situations.

28 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Any issues with a foreigner riding around using an foreign car driver's license, no motorbike license.

your health/travel insurance may be invalid if you get into a accident without the proper license.

and you will be charged for driving without a motorcycle license.

You may have lots of experience riding bikes back home but none of that will do you much good when it comes to riding a bike in Thailand, it's a totally different ball game. There's 25,000 road deaths every year here, 75% of those are bike riders and those are just the ones who die on the spot, the 30 day death rate is much higher and the seriously injured stats. run into mid six figures. Personally, there are risky things I might consider doing here but I would never ever ride a bike in Thailand and that comes from 18 years of driving a pickup truck here.

6 minutes ago, secondfusilier said:

So you plan to ride a motorbike without being qualified, not just endangering yourself and your girlfriend but also putting innocent lives at risk.

What a selfish lowlife you are.

I really hope that you get caught and banged up before you have the chance to run over and kill murder a child

What makes you assume I'm not "qualified"? I guess you're saying that most of the Thai population are selfish lowlifes because they were certainly "not qualified" to ride a scooter especially when nearly all of them start riding then they are like 13 or even younger. Do you have a gf or Thai wife? Did she start riding when she was a teen? If so, guess she's a selfish lowlife too.

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

What makes you assume I'm not "qualified"? I guess you're saying that most of the Thai population are selfish lowlifes because they were certainly "not qualified" to ride a scooter especially when nearly all of them start riding then they are like 13 or even younger. Do you have a gf or Thai wife? Did she start riding when she was a teen? If so, guess she's a selfish lowlife too.

What has Thais riding without a license got to do with your question in the OP?

As has been stated already, you are not qualified due to you not having the correct license.

1 minute ago, emptypockets said:

Gee a bloke asks a few simple questions and the holier than thou descend with a vengeance. Putting aside the motorbike license issue (simply having a license is no guarantee of ability) - does anyone actually have any helpful information for him?

Yes i have, do not ride a motorbike without a license, not only are you breaking the law, you are not covered by insurance.

10 minutes ago, saengd said:

You may have lots of experience riding bikes back home but none of that will do you much good when it comes to riding a bike in Thailand, it's a totally different ball game. There's 25,000 road deaths every year here, 75% of those are bike riders and those are just the ones who die on the spot, the 30 day death rate is much higher and the seriously injured stats. run into mid six figures. Personally, there are risky things I might consider doing here but I would never ever ride a bike in Thailand and that comes from 18 years of driving a pickup truck here.

if you've never ridden a bike in 18 years - how do you know its dangerous. I ride a bike with due caution (as I did in Australia) and feel quite safe. You can quote the statistics but there is also one you have missed - the majority of motorcycle deaths involve young men doing stupid things.

Just now, colinneil said:

Yes i have, do not ride a motorbike without a license, not only are you breaking the law, you are not covered by insurance.

That's his decision and honestly he can do as he wants as far as I'm concerned. His choice, his risk - and I just know people will chime in and say how he might kill their family as an unlicensed rider. On a 125 cc scooter ? Really?

Any helpful answers to his other questions?

5 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Gee a bloke asks a few simple questions and the holier than thou descend with a vengeance. Putting aside the motorbike license issue (simply having a license is no guarantee of ability) - does anyone actually have any helpful information for him?

Seems not. Nobody knows where to hire a scooter from a place where you won't get ripped off or knows the costs or knows how to get from Krabi airport to the beach. Oh, and the gf can ride the scooter, she has a Thai motorbike drivers license.

10 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

you are not Thai, so you should know and need to be aware, that any insurance will be invalid if you ride without a valid licence.  On these roads you would be taking a very big risk of ending up in hospital with no means to pay for your treatment, or the treatment of anyone you hit.  One poster here calls that a hollier than thou attitude, but frankly, you would be a total dick to ignore the obvious ramifications of breaking the law as a farang.  Forget the fact that 13 year old kids here do it, you should know and act more responsibly than that.  But as with all things, it's up to you. Just don't come up with a 'Crowd Funder' to get you home and pay your hospital bill.   

1 minute ago, secondfusilier said:

This really is a pathetic post.

It is not just his risk, you would have to be VERY stupid to hold that view.

You think that a 125 cc scooter hitting a child could not kill them.

Helpful and correct answers have already been given, you are just clouding the issue.

Go ahead with more of your "helpful" posts and answer the rest of my questions then below:

Seems not. Nobody knows where to hire a scooter from a place where you won't get ripped off or knows the costs or knows how to get from Krabi airport to the beach. Oh, and the gf can ride the scooter, she has a Thai motorbike drivers license.

Just now, secondfusilier said:

the majority of motorcycle deaths involve young men doing stupid things.

Such as riding a bike without a license, qualifications, care of other road users or a brain.

No. Doing stupid things. Simply having a license, qualifications etc doesn't stop young Thai men taking risks. Young men have always done so and will continue to do so regardless of the frothing, seething, incensed irrelevant comments on an internet forum comprising of mostly older foreign guys, who apparently have a faultless past, and tossed up entering the priesthood or moving to Thailand in their latter years.

However, back to the OP. Do you have any useful suggestions to his other questions?

7 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

What do you expect?   Any rental place willing to rent you a bike when you are not qualified to ride one will of course rip you off, and frankly, you would deserve it. 

1 minute ago, secondfusilier said:

Moderators, can this thread be closed?

I believe that planning of illegal activities is not allowed on this board.

Mods never closed threads when other people were talking about bribing Visa Agents to stay in Thailand (retirement visas) or about talking about bribing police officers for whatever reason so why would they close this one when there are many different questions that were asked?

Just now, emptypockets said:

No. Doing stupid things. Simply having a license, qualifications etc doesn't stop young Thai men taking risks. Young men have always done so and will continue to do so regardless of the frothing, seething, incensed irrelevant comments on an internet forum comprising of mostly older foreign guys, who apparently have a faultless past, and tossed up entering the priesthood or moving to Thailand in their latter years.

However, back to the OP. Do you have any useful suggestions to his other questions?

why are you defending him in contemplating breaking the law?  Why do you think age is the determination of safety on a bike?  One of these reckless young kids may be the one that hits this chap and puts him in hospital. 

3 minutes ago, secondfusilier said:

This really is a pathetic post.

It is not just his risk, you would have to be VERY stupid to hold that view.

You think that a 125 cc scooter hitting a child could not kill them.

Helpful and correct answers have already been given, you are just clouding the issue.

I'll thank you to keep your stupid comment to yourself.

There have been very little in the way of helpful answers given just comments on potential unlicensed riding. Reread the OP and stop with the tunnel vision.

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

What do you expect?   Any rental place willing to rent you a bike when you are not qualified to ride one will of course rip you off, and frankly, you would deserve it. 

Are you visually challenged or can't read English. Just for the "challenged" I will bold it: Oh, and the gf can ride the scooter, she has a Thai motorbike drivers license.

1 minute ago, emptypockets said:

I'll thank you to keep your stupid comment to yourself.

There have been very little in the way of helpful answers given just comments on potential unlicensed riding. Reread the OP and stop with the tunnel vision.

pathetic 

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

Are you visually challenged or can't read English. Just for the "challenged" I will bold it: Oh, and the gf can ride the scooter, she has a Thai motorbike drivers license.

that was not your question, you talked about you riding it yourself.  At least be consistent, even if deluded. 

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

why are you defending him in contemplating breaking the law?  Why do you think age is the determination of safety on a bike?  One of these reckless young kids may be the one that hits this chap and puts him in hospital. 

Not defending him at all. I simply do not care if he rides without a license. None of my business. I never said age was a determining factor, but the death count certainly supports this. One of the reckless young chaps may mount the kerb and put him in hospital. Nothing to do with the OP riding a scooter. I understand some countries allow small bikes to be ridden using a car license, so really the issue is one of semantics.

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

so as not to be miserable in your opinion,  you have to break Thai laws?  Is that your argument? 

Just an observation. I don’t argue with salty expats. I’d have a better conversation with a doormat. 

14 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

if you've never ridden a bike in 18 years - how do you know its dangerous. I ride a bike with due caution (as I did in Australia) and feel quite safe. You can quote the statistics but there is also one you have missed - the majority of motorcycle deaths involve young men doing stupid things.

I drive a 3 litre Vigo 4 door pickup truck about 15,000 kms every year in Thailand, I don't need to ride a bike to see what the score is. And no, the majority do not involve young men doing stupid things. The majority involves people of all ages doing stupid things and many people who were driving perfectly safely and carefully. A bike rider here can control one half of the equation, their own skill levels and abilities. The other half of the equation is the way they are viewed and treated by other road users and that is most often with great contempt and that they are expendable or invisibile....big wins, small looses, every time.

Archived