Hiring a scooter for a few days, no motorbike license but car license

bbi1

I have no motorbike licence but can ride one. When I first came to Thailand my only mode of transport was my G/Fs bike. She always rode the bike with me on the back. I see no reason that the OP can't do the same.

Word of caution. One Sunday morning we were out and about and got caught in a random stop. I wandered down the road and left my G/F to deal with the police. I saw money changing hands, my G/F picked me up and off we went to the temple. On arrival, I asked her why she had to pay the money. "No licence" was the reply. I knew she had a licence and always carried it with her. Her explanation was that she was in the same boat as me, car licence but no bike licence. She'd told the police that she had left her licence at home as it was a lesser fine for not having her licence on her than having no licence at all.

On the spot fine 100 baht, reduced to 40 baht on appeal!

Note to the OP: Check your G/Fs licence, you might get a surprise.

10 minutes ago, lust said:

Lots of miserable expats on here.

Yeah we're miserable sometimes but at least we know what the score is here because we see it every day for years and years, others just imagine it's like back home or that they have far superior abilities and skill than locals....hah!

and if joe tourist goes and gets him culpably splattered and all that is left of him, is that one thong on the ground; his wallet will be very quickly taken, and emptied

it will be worse for him, if he lives; to pay... forever

2 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I have no motorbike licence but can ride one. When I first came to Thailand my only mode of transport was my G/Fs bike. She always rode the bike with me on the back. I see no reason that the OP can't do the same.

Word of caution. One Sunday morning we were out and about and got caught in a random stop. I wandered down the road and left my G/F to deal with the police. I saw money changing hands, my G/F picked me up and off we went to the temple. On arrival, I asked her why she had to pay the money. "No licence" was the reply. I knew she had a licence and always carried it with her. Her explanation was that she was in the same boat as me, car licence but no bike licence. She'd told the police that she had left her licence at home as it was a lesser fine for not having her licence on her than having no licence at all.

On the spot fine 100 baht, reduced to 40 baht on appeal!

Note to the OP: Check your G/Fs licence, you might get a surprise.

Yes I've seen both here car and bike license, she has both.

Archived