3BB new plans and free speed upgrade!

muratremix

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

I have the 700 baht a month plan, but no increase yet, still just over 200mb.

I just called 3BB to ask about it, and they said I had been automatically upgraded 3 days ago. Speedtest proved this 403/400 for 749 Bht is good.

But only get 42/45 via WiFi 2.4 on my phone, sitting right next to the router.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/23/2019 at 11:30 AM, muratremix said:

My Asus AC86U (AC2900) is unable to keep up with 700Mbps on 5ghz AC (1300 Mbit two-way connection, 600-650 max. theoritical rate). Still, I can't complain and I'll enjoy 700/700 since it's a free upgrade.

It's time to upgrade my NAS since it can't cope with such high speeds.

The 3BB upgrades are nice. But the question any customer ought to be asking themselves is, can I really take advantage of the higher speeds, or, I can't and I'm better off going down to a lower priced plan and keeping the seem rated speeds I have now.

In my case, I tested that out some months back with 3BB, and found that I was getting absolutely no real benefit from the higher rated DOMESTIC speeds 3BB changed to providing for my 1200b a month plan, and so I downshifted to their 700b a month plan and noticed ZERO real world performance loss in my 3BB internet connection.

In my case, the main reason is/was --  almost all of my meaningful internet use is for connections from Thailand to the U.S., meaning INTERNATIONAL bandwidth. And I did a lot of testing using both a 200 Mbps plan and their then higher priced 300 Mbps plan. And the bottom line was -- no difference whatsoever in the speeds I was getting to and from the U.S. regardless of which of those two plans I was using. (And that was tested direct from my 3BB router via Gigabit Ethernet to a Gig Ethernet port on my PC, so no wifi was involved in those tests).

At the time, I asked 3BB if there was anything I could do with their various consumer plans to gain greater speeds on their international connections to the U.S.  And their answer was NO, with them saying that they no longer cap international speeds like they do for domestic speeds under their domestic service, and so I'm going to get whatever their international connections can provide, regardless of which service plan I'm subscribed to.

So as a result, for the past 6 months or so, I've been saving 500b per month on my prior home internet bill with 3BB (1200b vs 700b), and can't tell any difference at all in the internet service being provided -- at least, the way I use it.

20 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I just called 3BB to ask about it, and they said I had been automatically upgraded 3 days ago. Speedtest proved this 403/400 for 749 Bht is good.

I rang them and as per usual no one knows anything about an automatic upgrade, so I'm still stuck on 200.

21 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

The speed test was over the network cable? If only Wifi is slow do you have the correct WiFi settings in the router?

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The 3BB upgrades are nice. But the question any customer ought to be asking themselves is, can I really take advantage of the higher speeds, or, I can't and I'm better off going down to a lower priced plan and keeping the seem rated speeds I have now.

In my case, I tested that out some months back with 3BB, and found that I was getting absolutely no real benefit from the higher rated DOMESTIC speeds 3BB changed to providing for my 1200b a month plan, and so I downshifted to their 700b a month plan and noticed ZERO real world performance loss in my 3BB internet connection.

In my case, the main reason is/was --  almost all of my meaningful internet use is for connections from Thailand to the U.S., meaning INTERNATIONAL bandwidth. And I did a lot of testing using both a 200 Mbps plan and their then higher priced 300 Mbps plan. And the bottom line was -- no difference whatsoever in the speeds I was getting to and from the U.S. regardless of which of those two plans I was using.

At the time, I asked 3BB if there was anything I could do with their various consumer plans to gain greater speeds on their international connections to the U.S.  And their answer was NO, with them saying that they no longer cap international speeds like they do for domestic speeds under their domestic service, and so I'm going to get whatever their international connections can provide, regardless of which service plan I'm subscribed to.

So as a result, for the past 6 months or so, I've been saving 500b per month on my prior home internet bill with 3BB (1200b vs 700b), and can't tell any difference at all in the internet service being provided -- at least, the way I use it.

Well, I can say with me that I do notice a speed increase on my VPN connection as the provider speed goes up, but my hardware is pretty good. 

Fast internet seems to have exploded in the last year or 2 in Thailand. Ive gone from 50mbps to 200mbps to 300mbps all the way to what I have now 1000mbps over the last probably 3 years and the speeds even finally moved me off of torrents and into higher end android boxes. 

VPNs are tricky. You need a good connection to begin with, then you need good hardware to run it. A lower end connection hardwired to a laptop with the VPN on it is gonna operate better than a cheap android box on wifi with a VPN on it. Its due to better processing power. 

Right now I get about 200mbps speed through Express VPN to the USA on a hardwired Nvidia Shield. Shield has the VPN App on it. 

Watch TV all day everyday in Ultra HD no problems. 

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

I have been waiting since July 7th for 3BB to get their ass in gear and run the fibre link 800 metres to my house.

Last month they closed their office in Khampaeng Phet and moved it somewhere else that I haven't found yet.

I rang the call centre after lunch and they said that they would send a message to the KPP office. Who knows, that may get a reaction.

44 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In my case, the main reason is/was --  almost all of my meaningful internet use is for connections from Thailand to the U.S., meaning INTERNATIONAL bandwidth. And I did a lot of testing using both a 200 Mbps plan and their then higher priced 300 Mbps plan. And the bottom line was -- no difference whatsoever in the speeds I was getting to and from the U.S. regardless of which of those two plans I was using. (And that was tested direct from my 3BB router via Gigabit Ethernet to a Gig Ethernet port on my PC, so no wifi was involved in those tests).

I run my own VPN in Singapore. I can max out my connection to Singapore but then it slows down considerably if I try to connect to a server in Europe or the US. So the slowdown is not from 3BB. I use only YouTube and Torrent so I don't have a need to connect to the western world and did not try to investigate further. 

3BB has a promotion called My Swop. Log into your 3BB account and it will show you the different speeds you can swop for and it FREE. I have 700/700. For me, I want all the download speed I can cat as a rarely do many uploads.

I swooped my 700/700 for 1000/400. I also had a choice of 900/500 or 800/600. 

You can swop as many times as you wish till you find the best speed for you..

Pretty good deal with no cost... 

Had BBB 100 Mbps, they upgraded us for free over 2 yrs ago.

I have ZERO complaints and they have excellent service.

BUT, I swear they play with the speed, some days I check the speed it is between 40-75........which is significantly more than you need.

But if I am paying 200, I want close to 200......knowing that in most cases you never get the number you pay for as many conditions effect what actually reaches your Modem.

On slow speed days, we have called them, Techs come same day, before they arrive I have 45 Mbps and when they arrive, just like Magic I now have 220-247 Mbps.

Most people don’t understand Speedtest, how to do one or what the data means so they can charge you for 100 or 200 or more and only give you 20-40 Mbps and 9 out of 10 would never know.

To do a Speedtest........Google.  ADSL Thailand and click that circle gives you your a Download and Upload speeds.

Thats Rocketship speeds.........334/ Download and 257/ Upload........highest numbers I ever saw.

2AD41A59-8D6D-47D0-B42A-12283C4658E2.png

On 11/23/2019 at 9:59 AM, taninthai said:

Yes cannot complain about 3bb this is the 2nd free speed upgrade I have received in the last 6 months on the 590 bht package,plus when I had a problem with external line theybwas straight out the next day and repaired it????????????????

Great company, the poor souls in Australia,everytime I go back its painfully slow. 

I've been with 3BB for ages. Started on 2mb, then 4mb, 6mb, 10mb, 20mb, 50mb, 100mb now 200mb all for no extra cost. 

25 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

Had BBB 100 Mbps, they upgraded us for free over 2 yrs ago.

I have ZERO complaints and they have excellent service.

BUT, I swear they play with the speed, some days I check the speed it is between 40-75........which is significantly more than you need.

But if I am paying 200, I want close to 200......knowing that in most cases you never get the number you pay for as many conditions effect what actually reaches your Modem.

On slow speed days, we have called them, Techs come same day, before they arrive I have 45 Mbps and when they arrive, just like Magic I now have 220-247 Mbps.

Most people don’t understand Speedtest, how to do one or what the data means so they can charge you for 100 or 200 or more and only give you 20-40 Mbps and 9 out of 10 would never know.

To do a Speedtest........Google.  ADSL Thailand and click that circle gives you your a Download and Upload speeds.

Thats Rocketship speeds.........334/ Download and 257/ Upload........highest numbers I ever saw.

2AD41A59-8D6D-47D0-B42A-12283C4658E2.pngShow Reply

The 3BB Speedtest gives me 400/400. This one 100/100. mytest.net gives download of less thatn 10mb/s. Whats it all about Alfie?

7 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

The 3BB Speedtest gives me 400/400. This one 100/100. mytest.net gives download of less thatn 10mb/s. Whats it all about Alfie?

It depends where you connect to. If the test server is in the US then it will be very slow. 

19 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

No idea. What should I be looking for please.

Make sure that you have a LAN connection to your router if possible or a modern WiFi device that can handle standards n or ac. Otherwise you might not be able to connect after changing the settings. 

I don't know your router but try the following if available. 

Go to the WLAN Settings for 2.4 and select here the highest transmission mode n or better n/ac. Also select under channels 40 MHz if possible at your router. If you can select 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac then you will be on the safe side because this covers all standards. 

This here is from an Intel device but read it. Explains a little bit. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005544/network-and-io/wireless-networking.html

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

3BB has a promotion called My Swop. Log into your 3BB account and it will show you the different speeds you can swop for and it FREE. I have 700/700. For me, I want all the download speed I can cat as a rarely do many uploads.

I swooped my 700/700 for 1000/400. I also had a choice of 900/500 or 800/600. 

You can swop as many times as you wish till you find the best speed for you..

Pretty good deal with no cost... 

Ya, once you log into the 3BB website as a member, there's a place there that shows you your current plan speeds, like 700/700, and then for the particular plan you have, the various up and down speed options you have for adjusting relative DL and UL speeds on your service.

3BB confirmed to me over the phone that customers can make those adjustments at will. There's no limit on how often or how many times you can make those kinds of adjustments, and apparently they take effect pretty much immediately. So if you don't like one setting, you can go back later and change it as suits you.

https://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/promotion/details/48469

Then once you've logged in under the 3BB Member tab, the SWOP interface is here:

http://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/myswop/index/english

4 hours ago, alanrchase said:

It appears my ignorance was the problem. I am doing the speed test on my phone via wifi and it appears my phone maxes out at arround 100/100. Just did speed test on the computer using wifi and speed is 225/160. I am assured that if I attach the router by cable I will get 300/300.

Don't try to benchmark such high speed fiber connections via WiFi.

Only the very latest WiFi adapters can reach such heights as 300 or more under ideal conditions. And with a smartphone the "what purpose does it practically serve" question is more obvious.

Use a cable connection.

And this also recommended if you use a laptop/notebook stationary at home.

I have both desktop PC and notebook wired to a gigabit switch on the upper floor.

Switch is wired to the router downstairs.

Another little advantage of the switch: I can transfer data between both with rates like 500 Mbit/s. Nice for backup etc.

21 hours ago, muratremix said:

Just get a better router and you'll get 500/500 on wifi. 

I have Asus AC86U connected to fiberhome router from 3BB using Bridge mode (tricky to setup) and I get 1300 Mbps via 5ghz near router (600-650 mbits max due to wifi limitations) easily.

Agree with you. I also have the Asus AC86U router connected to the 3BB supplied Huawei fibre router in bridge mode.

Logged into 3BB and it said I was on 400/400 and changed it to 700/100 but their speed test was 200/120.

These are the properties if someone can explain what can be changed to improve speed. I am on an Asus laptop 4 years old.

SSID:    JOHN _5GHz
Protocol:    Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n)
Security type:    WPA2-Personal
Network band:    5 GHz
Network channel:    149
IPv6 address:    2403:6200:8840:8d95:91d1:de6b:1d4c:2a33
Link-local IPv6 address:    fe80::91d1:de6b:1d4c:2a33%19
IPv4 address:    192.168.1.4
IPv4 DNS servers:    192.168.1.1
Manufacturer:    Intel Corporation
Description:    Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260
Driver version:    17.15.0.5
Physical address (MAC):    D8-FC-93-71-3C-C5

12 hours ago, Beggar said:

Make sure that you have a LAN connection to your router if possible or a modern WiFi device that can handle standards n or ac. Otherwise you might not be able to connect after changing the settings. 

I don't know your router but try the following if available. 

Go to the WLAN Settings for 2.4 and select here the highest transmission mode n or better n/ac. Also select under channels 40 MHz if possible at your router. If you can select 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac then you will be on the safe side because this covers all standards. 

This here is from an Intel device but read it. Explains a little bit. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005544/network-and-io/wireless-networking.html

Thanks for this. I have got the bog standard router from 3BB, now have 600/200 on my LAN to which I have my 2 PCs connected via CAT6 cables. But the WiFi is only 34/78 this morning. I looked for these settings you suggested but none of them show om my routers settings page. Any help please.

It just changed to 70/85 !

13 hours ago, Tayaout said:

It depends where you connect to. If the test server is in the US then it will be very slow. 

I realised this aftewards and changed to Singapore. Thanks

Express VPN has a setting to check speeds at all of their servers throughout the World. Thailand is showing as d'load speed of 90 mbps with a latency of 9 giving a 'speed index' of 49025, , whereas S'pore shows 30 mbps, latency 37ms, index 4060. So confusing.

31 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Thanks for this. I have got the bog standard router from 3BB, now have 600/200 on my LAN to which I have my 2 PCs connected via CAT6 cables. But the WiFi is only 34/78 this morning. I looked for these settings you suggested but none of them show om my routers settings page. Any help please.

It just changed to 70/85 !

This is much better. I guess I have a different router. At my router it is under Home Network -> WLAN -> Advanced Settings.

If you need a good app to find the best WiFi channel try the free app "WiFi Speed Test - Internet Speed" from Zoltán Pallagi. It measures the real throughput and doesn't guess like most others. But you need to read the help file to understand how it works. You also need to install a small software on your PC that generates test data so that the throughput can be measured. But could also be used with only 2 wireless devices if no PC is available. 

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

Description:    Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260

The info you've posted indicates your wifi adapter is an N class adapter, not the newer AC class standard. I believe, that means the maximum theoretical speed you can get will be either 300 Mbps or 150 Mbps, depending on your particular adapter. And anytime you're using wifi, in the real world, at best, you can probably expect less actual performance than the max theoretical speed of your device. 

So, I'd say, you either need to:

--change from using wifi to an ethernet cable connection, to take better advantage of the ISP plan you have.

--get a new dual band AC wifi adapter that's capable of higher speeds

--downgrade your ISP plan and save some money until you do either of the two options above.

19 hours ago, rbkk said:

I don't know which speed check you used, but if you are using Chrome and www.speedtest.net you might find odd readings above 100. I have been using the speedtest.net App available on the Chrome web store (free) and my AIS 300/100 package is showing that +10%.

FWIW, I've been told in  the past by 3BB techs that various of the computer browsers have problems accurately measuring internet speeds when they get up into the higher hundreds of Mbps range.  I don't know if that's technically true, but it did turn out to be the case in the tests I ran last night.

I have a desktop PC with a gigabit ethernet connection direct to my 3BB Huawei gigabit router using newer Cat 6 cables. I had been automatically upgraded to a 400/400 Mbps plan by 3BB, but then "SWOPed" that to a 600/200 Mbps service. And that's what I ran a series of speedtests using last night.

I started out doing tests with 3BB's own speedtest website using various browsers on my PC, running each test 3 times in succession:

MS Edge - 363 to 495 Mbps

MS IE - 365 to 435 Mbps

Chrome - tests started out fast, but then speeds fell and ended up under 100 Mbps

Firefox - 271 to 383 Mbps

Then by comparison, I switched to using the Speedtest extension in Chrome as you mentioned in your post. Results: 583, 633 633 Mbps.

On 11/23/2019 at 12:25 PM, Henryford said:

Anyone get the Giga package yet for 790. On promotion this month.

I talked to 3BB last night on the phone last night re this particular package.

Unlike most of 3BB's other packages, the Giga package requires a TWO YEAR service contract/commitment. And 3BB confirmed to me, that applies in all cases, both for new subscribers AND for existing customers who might want to upgrade.

On 11/24/2019 at 11:34 AM, topt said:

I am curious what the figures would show if you used https://testmy.net/ - and changed to a server in Europe/US?

I did a bunch of tests to the U.S. on that last night with my 3BB 600-200 Mbps service to measure its INTERNATIONAL capacity, using my 3BB gigabit router with a direct ethernet cable to a gigabit network adapter on my PC, and measuring with the Chrome browser.

The TestMy.net test results were very erratic, and the results typically showed a very fast start, then the speed dipping downward, and then beginning to recover. So a lot of the results depended on your settings for how long you let the speed test measure.

Los Angeles server 100 MB DL - 71 / 63 / 105 Mbps - avg 80 Mbps

Los Angeles server auto DL test - 344 / 120 / 49 - avg 171 Mbps

(the auto test showed it using a 200 MB DL package)

San Francisco server 100 MB DL - 40 / 125 / 123 Mbps - avg 96 Mbps

San Francisco server auto DL test - 270 / 248 / 262 - avg 260 Mbps

(the auto test showed it using a 200 MB DL package)

The one thing I do note about the above results, is they're getting to the point where anyone having older 100 Mbps LAN adapter hardware is going to find it start to constrain the results capable from the 3BB packages these days when using ethernet connections. 

FWIW, when I did comparable all Ethernet tests with the same hardware back in June on a 200-200 3BB package, I got the following results:

--TestMy.net LA server 200 MB DL -- 4 test average 81 Mbps

--TestMy.net SF server 200 MB DL -- 4 test average 110 Mbps

Those results, for whatever reason, were in a much closer range with not that much variation from test to test. Whereas last night's results with the 600-200 plan showed huge variations from test to test.

3 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

changed it to 700/100

but their speed test was 200/120.

am on an Asus laptop 4 years old.

3 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Security type:    WPA2-Personal
Network band:    5 GHz
Network channel:    149

Again: even with a 5 GHz Wifi DO NOT expect to reach 700 Mbit/s!

Particularly not on a four year laptop!

Benchmark has to be done with wired connection (CAT 5 cable at least).
Those speeds are far beyond usual household WiFi connections.

I'm so envious of you guys - my high-end 5 year old condo has only one option for internet and its 3BB FTTX, meaning I pay 600 baht a month for a whopping 2MB/s connection. Even though I replaced their terrible router with my Synology router I'm lucky if I can smoothly stream Youtube and check my email at the same time.

Archived