3BB new plans and free speed upgrade!

muratremix

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, clokwise said:

I'm so envious of you guys - my high-end 5 year old condo has only one option for internet and its 3BB FTTX, meaning I pay 600 baht a month for a whopping 2MB/s connection. Even though I replaced their terrible router with my Synology router I'm lucky if I can smoothly stream Youtube and check my email at the same time.

Something seriously wrong with your setup mate. If you have FTTX (which generally means fibre to the curb, then copper into your home)  then you should be getting much better speeds. Time to contact 3BB.

7 hours ago, JGV said:

Are new suscribers still having to pay a large deposit for router hire

Don't think so. 3BB's fiber plans these days seem to include the provision of their own wifi router/fiber modem and some level of line installation work at no additional cost. You don't own the router of course. You can use it, and then would be required to return it to them if you halt your service anytime in the future.

Weird! Am I on something different deal wise?

About a year ago 2 pretties with 3BB polo shirts on turned up in our village and offered fibre service, new to the village, for 749 thb a month including installing fibre line to our house and router. There was a slower option at I think about 549 THB. Wife signed up and I paid 1 month in advance. A tech turned up a few days later, installed the cable to ( quite a run as we are on the edge of the village) and in to the house, connected the router, checked we could log in on 2 devices plus Chromecast and away we went. Been paying 749 baht every month with online banking ever since. Happy with it and the  speedy customer service when very occasionally things stop working. Quickly put right.

But am I paying too much?

35 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

About a year ago 2 pretties with 3BB polo shirts on turned up in our village and offered fibre service, new to the village, for 749 thb a month including installing fibre line to our house and router. There was a slower option at I think about 549 THB. Wife signed up and I paid 1 month in advance. A tech turned up a few days later, installed the cable to ( quite a run as we are on the edge of the village) and in to the house, connected the router, checked we could log in on 2 devices plus Chromecast and away we went. Been paying 749 baht every month with online banking ever since. Happy with it and the  speedy customer service when very occasionally things stop working. Quickly put right.

Here are the current 3BB fiber packages with the various speeds and prices.

Check with your local 3BB office or the phone call center as to what your current package with them is.... They tend to keep your monthly pricing the same, and then often adjust the speeds of your plan without even telling anyone.

409528382_2019-11-2600_52_45.jpg.fcc7b8d0658cbf6596ea86c4c977f74e.jpg

7 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

We're out in the sticks a bit and that's pretty much what happened to us.

We were told fibre wasn't available and they installed vdsl for 749 Baht per month.

Check your contract, it should have what they installed on it.

On 11/24/2019 at 10:39 AM, RayHaas said:

Been on the 1290 Baht 200/200MB for 2 years incl. Fixed line telephone. 

Only ever got 100MB max on LAN and 38MB on Wifi. Over the years they must have been here at least a dozen times for fixes etc etc.

Now they upgraded me to 500/500 but still not getting anything more than before.

I was seriously thinking of downgrading my package to save some money and told them so I would. They said CAN NOT. You have fixed line telephone in your package. I can't be without the Telephone line as Its used for the business.

very strange

On 11/23/2019 at 10:12 AM, Thainesss said:

People need to watch the hardware that IP's provide for their "super fast" internet access. You can have gigabit service but be on 2.4GHz "A" wifi and only getting 50+ MBps speeds unless hardwired. 

measured how ?

In case you and others don't understand the terminology 

don't get your bits and bytes confused, a rough conversion is to divide by 8

2.4Ghz should be good for 300Mbs if AC class

Even if you get 1000Mbps, don't expect anything over 200Mbps over vast distances and high latencies. TCP window has a limitation how much speed you can get towards latencies over 180ms.

We should be happy to get faster and faster service. Even if you can't use it, it is still there. Imagine you drive on a single lane road, then they upgraded it to double lane and now triple lane road. 

Back in my home country the max speed I can get is 100/5 mbits. They don't offer anything higher than 5 mbps upload and sending large files or uploading videos suck bigtime. 

I remember the speeds in Thailand back in 2011 and 2012, it has come a long way and improved speeds every year. That's amazing.

Just now, smedly said:

measured how ?

In case you and others don't understand the terminology 

don't get your bits and bytes confused, a rough conversion is to divide by 8

2.4Ghz should be good for 300Mbs if AC class

You can't get 300 mbps over 2.4 ghz. AC only works on 5ghz.

Even if your router supports 300, 450 or 600 mbps on 2.4 ghz channel, your laptop won't support such high speeds without a special USB3 wireless device.

Even if you have both devices support 600 Mbps over 2.4 ghz, you still can't get that speed because

A) Wireless speeds are Download + Upload combined, means 600 mbps is 300 mbit max if you use it for download

B) 2.4 ghz bands are overcrowded and long distance so unless you live in a home with 3-4 rai LAND (and your home is in the middle, far from every other wi-fi signal) you will never get full speed of 2.4 ghz. You won't get fully attainable speed of 2.4 ghz if you live in Condo, Townhouse or even a Single house. Thats why 5ghz rocks!

I am finding on my 3BB connection, when i speed test using Chrome browser i get 90 Mbps down and 400 up

when i use the same speedtest website, but in the firefox browser, i get 300 down and 400 up

the thing is, i prefer Chrome - but why is it showing lower results?

18 minutes ago, UKJASE said:

I am finding on my 3BB connection, when i speed test using Chrome browser i get 90 Mbps down and 400 up

when i use the same speedtest website, but in the firefox browser, i get 300 down and 400 up

the thing is, i prefer Chrome - but why is it showing lower results?

Higher speeds require faster computers. Your laptop could be slow. Firefox is recommended by nperf as well.

Many thanks for the information. I called 3BB to change from my 700/700, 1284 baht plan to the new 1Gbit/100Mb plan that is only 790 baht. The only hitch is that we must go to a 3BB office and sign up for 24 months, during which time we will not be allowed to change plans. Works for me.

50 minutes ago, muratremix said:

Even if your router supports 300, 450 or 600 mbps on 2.4 ghz channel, your laptop won't support such high speeds without a special USB3 wireless device.

Even if you have both devices support 600 Mbps over 2.4 ghz, you still can't get that speed because

A) Wireless speeds are Download + Upload combined, means 600 mbps is 300 mbit max if you use it for download

B) 2.4 ghz bands are overcrowded and long distance so unless you live in a home with 3-4 rai LAND (and your home is in the middle, far from every other wi-fi signal) you will never get full speed of 2.4 ghz. You won't get fully attainable speed of 2.4 ghz if you live in Condo, Townhouse or even a Single house. Thats why 5ghz rocks!

you need to check your info, right now I have 450Mbs connection on 2.4ghz, I get 4MBs downloads 

uUntitled.jpg

1 hour ago, VYCM said:

I'm still using the original fibre router installed by 3BB, Chinese made I think, brand fiberhome. 

I would like to install a new model, what have you guys fitted,is this one offered by 3BB any good? 

Screenshot_20191125_160827_com.inc.tbb_vip.jpg

Yes I been looking at this myself ,as although 3bb have given the upgrades my speed pretty much remains the same around 30 to 50 meg download ,I am also still on the old original router they supplied,,,,looking at this router I think it costs 400 bht to get it.......maybe that’s 3bb marketing plan give free speed upgrades on the basis of selling loads of new routers????????????????????.

will have to try resetting my router and doing speed test on laptop tonight.

15 minutes ago, taninthai said:

Yes I been looking at this myself ,as although 3bb have given the upgrades my speed pretty much remains the same around 30 to 50 meg download ,I am also still on the old original router they supplied,,,,looking at this router I think it costs 400 bht to get it.......maybe that’s 3bb marketing plan give free speed upgrades on the basis of selling loads of new routers????????????????????.

will have to try resetting my router and doing speed test on laptop tonight.

It looks like the price is 2200 baht 

Screenshot_20191126_092241.jpg

23 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So, I'd say, you either need to:

--change from using wifi to an ethernet cable connection, to take better advantage of the ISP plan you have.

This is interesting. I connected a Cat5e cable to do as you suggested but the speed test showed about half, 200 down to 80, compared to the 5Ghz wifi. Tested the cable through my android box on the TV and the speed was higher, 96, than when connected to the laptop.

Looks like I stay with the wifi.

7 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

This is interesting. I connected a Cat5e cable to do as you suggested but the speed test showed about half, 200 down to 80, compared to the 5Ghz wifi. Tested the cable through my android box on the TV and the speed was higher, 96, than when connected to the laptop.

Looks like I stay with the wifi.

both android box/tv and laptop might be 100mbs lan or some settings are wrong

you can check laptop speed by opening network-adapter right click then status, android has similar 

On 11/24/2019 at 10:39 AM, RayHaas said:

Been on the 1290 Baht 200/200MB for 2 years incl. Fixed line telephone. 

Only ever got 100MB max on LAN and 38MB on Wifi. Over the years they must have been here at least a dozen times for fixes etc etc.

Now they upgraded me to 500/500 but still not getting anything more than before.

I was seriously thinking of downgrading my package to save some money and told them so I would. They said CAN NOT. You have fixed line telephone in your package. I can't be without the Telephone line as Its used for the business.

I guess you're talking about Mbps and not MB. In respect of the LAN you have to check the LAN Speed that your computer supports. If your computer is older and supports only 100 Mbps than your internet can't be faster. Also if the test data are written to the hard drive and not to the memory this could lead to poor test performance since the hard drive speed will be the limit then. 

In respect of your WiFi it is important the standard your wireless device supports and if the settings in the router are correct. Wifi standards are 802.11 a/b/g/n for 2.4 Ghz and ac for 5 GHz. You need the correct settings in the router. Next question is if your Wifi device can handle 5 GHz or only 2.4 Ghz? Also are there other routers that use the same channels that your router is switched to? Is your Wifi device older and has a slow CPU? 

There are many things that can have a negative impact. It does not make sense to pay for the fastest internet if your hardware does not support it or if settings are wrong. But also expect that the real internet performance might not improve much with very high speeds. The servers you call will deliver the data often with a much slower speed (I am talking here about not performance test sites). Very high speeds often only make sense if you have several users connected at the same time.

2 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Many thanks for the information. I called 3BB to change from my 700/700, 1284 baht plan to the new 1Gbit/100Mb plan that is only 790 baht. The only hitch is that we must go to a 3BB office and sign up for 24 months, during which time we will not be allowed to change plans. Works for me.

When you change can i ask what was required. If you already have a fibre optic link do you just sign the document and they switch you over? Any new router or cable required?

I don't mind signing up for 2 years. I can't see me ever leaving 3BB so 2 years no problem. Do you have to pay for 1 or 2 years in advance?

3 hours ago, muratremix said:

while my information is correct, I'd like to make an addition.

You can't get a net speed of 300 MBps over 2.4 ghz channel (except in a lab with RF Shielding or out in the sticks with zero 2.4 ghz wifi signals).

450 mbps connection speed in wifi equals to 225-240 mbit max speed if there are no signals distorting your wifi signals.

There are 450 mbit 2.4 ghz routers (3x3 mimo) and even 600 mbit ones but if you think you can get those speeds over 2.4 ghz then you're misinformed. 

NO ISP could or would guarantee their speeds over shared Wi-Fi spectrum. 

Don't use 2.4G, 2.4G is evil.

19 minutes ago, muratremix said:

You don't have to be an ass. Laptop, Desktop, whatever you're using not powerful enough to support higher speeds on browser based speedtest sites. End of story.

you seem to be blowing it out yours

a lot of info you are providing on this thread is incorrect, I will again draw your attention to this, I download at 4MBs over a 450mbs "n" 2.4g wifi connection, you can see it on the list below

uUntitled.jpg

49 minutes ago, smedly said:

you seem to be blowing it out yours

a lot of info you are providing on this thread is incorrect, I will again draw your attention to this, I download at 4MBs over a 450mbs "n" 2.4g wifi connection, you can see it on the list below

uUntitled.jpg

What does it tell you? I also have 450 Mbps on 2.4ghz but like I told you, you will never reach 450Mbit on 2.4 ghz, let alone 300 Mbit/s. 4MB/s = 32 Mbit, so what? What are you trying to say? You can also get lower than 32Mbit even if you see 450 Mbit connection to router.

Instead of being an ass, why don't you fix my *wrong info*?

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

When you change can i ask what was required. If you already have a fibre optic link do you just sign the document and they switch you over? Any new router or cable required?

I don't mind signing up for 2 years. I can't see me ever leaving 3BB so 2 years no problem. Do you have to pay for 1 or 2 years in advance?

I'm curious about the router, too. I plan on taking my current router with me when we go to their office. Since the account is in my wife's name and she is Thai, there won't be any requirement to pay in advance. Not sure how that works with a straight farang account. We already have fiber optic cabling and the house is wired with Cat-7, so I'm sure the cabling won't be an issue.

Archived