3BB new plans and free speed upgrade!

muratremix

24 minutes ago, muratremix said:

What does it tell you? I also have 450 Mbps on 2.4ghz but like I told you, you will never reach 450Mbit on 2.4 ghz, let alone 300 Mbit/s. 4MB/s = 32 Mbit, so what? What are you trying to say? You can also get lower than 32Mbit even if you see 450 Mbit connection to router.

Instead of being an ass, why don't you fix my *wrong info*?

I have no dog in this fight ???? but can you please explain to me why in Win 7 in Network Connection Centre - Wireless Connection Status  under Connection it says Speed and this is varying between 400 and something up to 650 Mbps when I look at it?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, VYCM said:

I'm still using the original fibre router installed by 3BB, Chinese made I think, brand fiberhome. 

I would like to install a new model, what have you guys fitted,is this one offered by 3BB any good? 

Screenshot_20191125_160827_com.inc.tbb_vip.jpg

As a 3BB fiber customer, I have a some years old single band 2.4 GHz wifi router from 3BB, brand Huawei...

In the past, I've asked them as an asking customer could they upgrade my current router to a newer dual band AC model. A lot of the time, different staff at their call center told me they'd only do that if I paid them to buy a newer model as in your graphic above..

But lately, in conversation with them, different staff finally relented and simply offered to swap out my old router for a newer dual band model, also by Huawei, at no equipment charge whatsoever....  As with many things here, a lot depends on who you're talking to.

5 hours ago, UKJASE said:

I am finding on my 3BB connection, when i speed test using Chrome browser i get 90 Mbps down and 400 up

when i use the same speedtest website, but in the firefox browser, i get 300 down and 400 up

the thing is, i prefer Chrome - but why is it showing lower results?

My Chrome browser always tends to give me funky / out of line results when using the Speedtest website...

Try instead using the Speedtest extension for the Chrome browser. In my experience thus far, it seems to work much better.

5 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Many thanks for the information. I called 3BB to change from my 700/700, 1284 baht plan to the new 1Gbit/100Mb plan that is only 790 baht. The only hitch is that we must go to a 3BB office and sign up for 24 months, during which time we will not be allowed to change plans. Works for me.

Just understand than any legacy LAN 100 Mbps hardware you have won't be able to take advantage of the gig speeds promised. Nor will most mobile devices using wifi like phones and tablets. I think its pretty much going to be just those devices that you can hard wire via Ethernet directly to your 3BB gigabit router.

5 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

This is interesting. I connected a Cat5e cable to do as you suggested but the speed test showed about half, 200 down to 80, compared to the 5Ghz wifi. Tested the cable through my android box on the TV and the speed was higher, 96, than when connected to the laptop.

Looks like I stay with the wifi.

Each connection, whether wifi or cabled, is only as fast as its slowest individual component.

So the router will have maximum speeds for both its ethernet and wifi. Newer routers tend to have gigabit (1000 Mbps) ethernet ports. But a lot of older receiving hardware (like set-top boxes and even laptop ethernet ports) may only support LAN 100 Mbps ethernet.

Then for wifi, the router may have different standards (N vs AC) and different bands (2.4 vs 5 GHz), and the wifi adapter on the receiving device may have different standards and speeds than those supported by the router.

3 hours ago, muratremix said:

There are 450 mbit 2.4 ghz routers (3x3 mimo) and even 600 mbit ones but if you think you can get those speeds over 2.4 ghz then you're misinformed. 

I agree. In theory, the 2.4 GHz band wifi CAN support such speeds. But in real world conditions, I'd seriously doubt any actual use is going to come anywhere close.

https://www.howtogeek.com/222249/whats-the-difference-between-2.4-ghz-and-5-ghz-wi-fi-and-which-should-you-use/#:~:targetText=Under ideal conditions%2C 2.4 GHz,support up to 1300 Mbps.

Under ideal conditions, 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi will support up to 450 Mbps or 600 Mbps, depending on the class of the router.

My wifi laptop in the bedroom shows me a link speed between my laptop and my wifi router in the other room, based on the maximums supported by the hardware and settings involved. But that high number is far and away different from the actual connections speeds I get when moving data between the two.

1 hour ago, GalaxyMan said:

I'm curious about the router, too. I plan on taking my current router with me when we go to their office. Since the account is in my wife's name and she is Thai, there won't be any requirement to pay in advance. Not sure how that works with a straight farang account. We already have fiber optic cabling and the house is wired with Cat-7, so I'm sure the cabling won't be an issue.

From what I've been told by 3BB..

--you do have to go into their office to sign for the 24 month service commitment.

--as long as your current fiber router is a gigabit model, you shouldn't need any different router.

--one question I asked 3BB, one which they've never really answered, is whether the Gigabit plan is available in all their service areas or just some. Couldn't get a straight answer from them on that. I dunno if their entire outside networking infrastructure for fiber throughout their service areas has been upgraded to Gigabit standard already???

17 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

From what I've been told by 3BB..

--you do have to go into their office to sign for the 24 month service commitment.

--as long as your current fiber router is a gigabit model, you shouldn't need any different router.

--one question I asked 3BB, one which they've never really answered, is whether the Gigabit plan is available in all their service areas or just some. Couldn't get a straight answer from them on that. I dunno if their entire outside networking infrastructure for fiber throughout their service areas has been upgraded to Gigabit standard already???

if you're able to use FTTH (i.e townhouse, singlehouse, twinhouse, anything but a CONDO) then you can get 1Gbit without problem. 

2 hours ago, topt said:

I have no dog in this fight ???? but can you please explain to me why in Win 7 in Network Connection Centre - Wireless Connection Status  under Connection it says Speed and this is varying between 400 and something up to 650 Mbps when I look at it?

Your signal quality isn't stable to speed is going up and down between those values. You're probably a bit too far from router and 5ghz has shorter coverage area compared to 2.4 Ghz.

So nice to see a positive praising thread here ????

So let me add my praise to 3BB...

About a month ago I saw a group of 3BB promoters handing out promotion leaflets at the local market. On the page it was written as a promotion for NEW customers. I asked if I can enjoy it as an existing customers and they said yes, just call or visit the 3BB office.

I called and was told that I was already upgraded to 200/200 for same price (749THB). I checked my speed and it was just over 200/200.

A couple of days ago I saw this thread and just as I was about to call 3BB to ask for the upgrade, I received an SMS from them informing me I was already upgraded to 400/400.

I checked my speed again, and it was still around the 2++/2++ on my notebook (wifi 5G).

Called the customer service No., they checked and said I was already upgraded. Asked me to test again - same results. They said they'll send over the tech guys.

About an hour later the tech guys called, asked me to test speed, reset the router etc' and when it all came back the same (2++/2++) they said they'll come over in about an hour.

By that time I also checked the speed on my phone and got about 380/2++. I have reset the network configurations on my notebook (netsh winsock reset / netsh int ip reset etc') but still got the 2++/2++ on my notebook.

They came, connected a LAN line to my notebook and tested speed. A bit faster than wifi but still not 400/400.

So they replaced the router with a new one. Tested with cable 402.20/415.67. On wifi though best I got is 260.00/263.17. On the phone I still only get around 325/250.

So - I wish I could improve my wifi speed, but as far as 3BB concerned I am happy with their service

57 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just understand than any legacy LAN 100 Mbps hardware you have won't be able to take advantage of the gig speeds promised. Nor will most mobile devices using wifi like phones and tablets. I think its pretty much going to be just those devices that you can hard wire via Ethernet directly to your 3BB gigabit router.

Thank you. I am very aware of this. I deliberately had our house wired with Cat-7 cabling and use a 16-port gigabit switch to connect my devices that don't directly interface with the router. The only devices that we use the wireless for are our phones, which I couldn't care less about. ????

What does it tell you? I also have 450 Mbps on 2.4ghz but like I told you, you will never reach 450Mbit on 2.4 ghz, let alone 300 Mbit/s. 4MB/s = 32 Mbit, so what? What are you trying to say? You can also get lower than 32Mbit even if you see 450 Mbit connection to router.

Instead of being an ass, why don't you fix my *wrong info*?

sorry but you are talking absolute nonsense, and reducing the discussion to insults tells a lot about you

Stop posting misleading nonsense and move on

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I agree. In theory, the 2.4 GHz band wifi CAN support such speeds. But in real world conditions, I'd seriously doubt any actual use is going to come anywhere close.

https://www.howtogeek.com/222249/whats-the-difference-between-2.4-ghz-and-5-ghz-wi-fi-and-which-should-you-use/#:~:targetText=Under ideal conditions%2C 2.4 GHz,support up to 1300 Mbps.

My wifi laptop in the bedroom shows me a link speed between my laptop and my wifi router in the other room, based on the maximums supported by the hardware and settings involved. But that high number is far and away different from the actual connections speeds I get when moving data between the two.

my 4MB's file download experience is based on "actual downloads" with a 450Mbs "N" dual channel wifi connection, I have these speeds every day for a long time, proven over and over and beyond doubt, this is obviously at the limit of my current vdsl and wifi network soon to be fibre, my phone and PC connect to the fibre router over wifi with speeds in excess of 650mbs - haven't tried with LAN

Had two 3BB techs here for over an hour, they said my computer won't allow for higher speeds (3 year old Lenovo All-in-one), the router is getting 400/400 but my computer is only getting 200. Now I need to go to 3BB and get them to reduce my payments from 700 to 590 because I can't get the 400 upgrade.

17 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Had two 3BB techs here for over an hour, they said my computer won't allow for higher speeds (3 year old Lenovo All-in-one), the router is getting 400/400 but my computer is only getting 200. Now I need to go to 3BB and get them to reduce my payments from 700 to 590 because I can't get the 400 upgrade.

The ISPs like 3BB, AIS are so happy with people that order and pay for speeds they can't use. I think this is a big business for them at the moment. Even if your hardware would support 1 Gbps you will not benefit much. It is a different story for them if you are a company or a hotel with many users. So the people should look what really makes sense for them and not look for the fastest package... 

15 hours ago, smedly said:

sorry but you are talking absolute nonsense, and reducing the discussion to insults tells a lot about you

Stop posting misleading nonsense and move on

You're absolute BS. You say I give misleading information but you can't even say what it is. If you don't know anything just shut up and maybe you learn one thing or two.

14 hours ago, giddyup said:

I don't think they would reduce your speed and lower your monthly payments (unless you cancel and re-apply). If everybody choose to lower their speed, then why would they upgrade speed of everybody for free? A year ago I was on 200/100 plan and was paying 1200 + VAT and now I can get 200/200 for 590 baht + VAT.

If they let everybody pay less for the same speed, they'll lose money and then enforce more strict speed throttling to force people to upgrade.

1 hour ago, muratremix said:

I don't think they would reduce your speed and lower your monthly payments (unless you cancel and re-apply). If everybody choose to lower their speed, then why would they upgrade speed of everybody for free? A year ago I was on 200/100 plan and was paying 1200 + VAT and now I can get 200/200 for 590 baht + VAT.

If they let everybody pay less for the same speed, they'll lose money and then enforce more strict speed throttling to force people to upgrade.

Not according to the techies that were here. I'm not lowering my speed, I'm still getting the same speed, ie 200/200, but the price for that speed is 110 baht less a month now that they have upgraded.

17 hours ago, giddyup said:

what model is your Lenovo ?, at just 3 years old it should definitely have a gigabit lan

My Alienware is over 8 years old and has a gigabit LAN

17 hours ago, Beggar said:

The ISPs like 3BB, AIS are so happy with people that order and pay for speeds they can't use. I think this is a big business for them at the moment. Even if your hardware would support 1 Gbps you will not benefit much. It is a different story for them if you are a company or a hotel with many users. So the people should look what really makes sense for them and not look for the fastest package... 

Unfortunately, many people do not understand why a connection upgrade will not always improve their overall WWW experience. ISP's absolutely work their marketing around the fact that Joe public has limited knowledge.

Free upgrades and price reductions are carefully planned and often include adjustment to bandwidth control. Customers who receive free upgrades and then ask to be placed on a cheaper plan will not be popular with the ISP marketing planners.

PS
The favorite killer line used by the poorly trained Thai ISP technician is 'it's your equipment, not ours' 3BB were champions of BS, not sure who holds the trophy these days.

I did just that with 3BB a few months back after their last round of fiber plan speed upgrades. It was no trouble or hassle at all. Just went to my local 3BB office, and told them I wanted to downgrade from their 1200b per month plan to their 700b per month plan. Filled out and signed a paperwork request form authorizing the change in service. And it took effect in a day or two.

Of course, I'm on just regular month to month service with them after having been a customer for many years. Don't have any specific contractual commitment or anything like that. For example, if someone had signed up for their new Giga service that has a 24 month service commitment, then I'm guessing they wouldn't let you downgrade from that...at least, not until after the committed 24 months. But their regular fiber plans don't have those same terms.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Not according to the techies that were here. I'm not lowering my speed, I'm still getting the same speed, ie 200/200, but the price for that speed is 110 baht less a month now that they have upgraded.

In my experience with 3BB, as long as you're not on some specific timeframe contract with them, you can raise or lower your ISP plan with them at any time. You want more, you can change to pay for more. You want less, you can downgrade and have a lower bill. Just involves filling out some paperwork at your local 3BB office.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

what model is your Lenovo ?, at just 3 years old it should definitely have a gigabit lan

It's a Lenovo All-In-One C20-0. They replaced the router, showed me the speed (400) they were getting on their own laptop, but could not get 400 out of my PC.

12 minutes ago, giddyup said:

It's a Lenovo All-In-One C20-0. They replaced the router, showed me the speed (400) they were getting on their own laptop, but could not get 400 out of my PC.

If it's this one, the specs list says it has a Gigabit ethernet adapter, and AC wifi:

https://www.lenovo.com/in/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/lenovo/c-series/Lenovo-C20/p/FF3KF3C0224

178170276_2019-11-2711_42_02.jpg.25f02ef414b41c2685be5e6826bce35d.jpg

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

OK, but what does that mean?

Well, at least on the surface, assuming that's your machine, it means the ethernet connection (the cabled connection between your 3BB wifi router and your PC) should support speeds up to 1000 Mbps (which is known as Gigabit speed)....

That's NOT when your PC is connected to the 3BB router via a wifi connection. Rather, that's when your PC is getting its internet data via a physical ethernet cable running between the Gigabit-capable ethernet port on your PC and the Gigabit capable ethernet port on the back of your 3BB wifi router.

Now, obviously, your 3BB internet service is only rated at 400 Mbps, so you're not going to get 1000 Mbps anyway. But at least, if your PC and router are connected by ethernet cable, it should mean that your PC should be able to take full advantage of a 3BB 400 Mbps fiber internet service and not have your actual test connection top out at 200 Mbps.

20 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Well, at least on the surface, assuming that's your machine, it means the ethernet connection (the cabled connection between your 3BB wifi router and your PC) should support speeds up to 1000 Mbps (which is known as Gigabit speed)....

That's NOT when your PC is connected to the 3BB router via a wifi connection. Rather, that's when your PC is getting its internet data via a physical ethernet cable running between the Gigabit-capable ethernet port on your PC and the Gigabit capable ethernet port on the back of your 3BB wifi router.

Now, obviously, your 3BB internet service is only rated at 400 Mbps, so you're not going to get 1000 Mbps anyway. But at least, if your PC and router are connected by ethernet cable, it should mean that your PC should be able to take full advantage of a 3BB 400 Mbps fiber internet service and not have your actual test connection top out at 200 Mbps.

There's a couple of leads from the router into the PC so I assume one of them is an ethernet cable. Funny, since we asked about the price being reduced the speed is now up to 300. Coincidence?

32 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The starting point would be to find out what connection speed the PC has negotiated on the local network (WiFi or Ethernet).

Windows will show you the negotiated connection speed it has made on the network in the active connection properties.

Eg -  Negotiated local speed might be 100Mbps but the WAN is 200.

3 hours ago, smedly said:

You think he is getting 200/200 on a 10/100 Mbps ethernet?

I told you, browser based speed test sites require some serious amount of CPU power for higher speeds.

You need to learn to listen, that is if you want to learn something.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Because your computer is slow. I have a celeron NUC and I also get slower speeds on it compared to my more powerful Kaby Lake i5 Nuc.

If your model is correct it has one of those CPU

• Intel® Celeron® Processor N3050 (2M Cache, 1.6 GHz base, 2.16 GHz max)
  • Intel Pentium® Processor N3700 (2M Cache, 1.6 GHz base, 2.40 GHz max)

and they are pretty slow, like very slow (for me at-least)

Archived