BANGKOK
muratremix

3BB new plans and free speed upgrade!

15 hours ago, smedly said:

sorry but you are talking absolute nonsense, and reducing the discussion to insults tells a lot about you

Stop posting misleading nonsense and move on

You're absolute BS. You say I give misleading information but you can't even say what it is. If you don't know anything just shut up and maybe you learn one thing or two.

14 hours ago, giddyup said:

Had two 3BB techs here for over an hour, they said my computer won't allow for higher speeds (3 year old Lenovo All-in-one), the router is getting 400/400 but my computer is only getting 200. Now I need to go to 3BB and get them to reduce my payments from 700 to 590 because I can't get the 400 upgrade.

I don't think they would reduce your speed and lower your monthly payments (unless you cancel and re-apply). If everybody choose to lower their speed, then why would they upgrade speed of everybody for free? A year ago I was on 200/100 plan and was paying 1200 + VAT and now I can get 200/200 for 590 baht + VAT.

If they let everybody pay less for the same speed, they'll lose money and then enforce more strict speed throttling to force people to upgrade.

1 hour ago, muratremix said:

I don't think they would reduce your speed and lower your monthly payments (unless you cancel and re-apply). If everybody choose to lower their speed, then why would they upgrade speed of everybody for free? A year ago I was on 200/100 plan and was paying 1200 + VAT and now I can get 200/200 for 590 baht + VAT.

If they let everybody pay less for the same speed, they'll lose money and then enforce more strict speed throttling to force people to upgrade.

Not according to the techies that were here. I'm not lowering my speed, I'm still getting the same speed, ie 200/200, but the price for that speed is 110 baht less a month now that they have upgraded.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, giddyup said:

Had two 3BB techs here for over an hour, they said my computer won't allow for higher speeds (3 year old Lenovo All-in-one), the router is getting 400/400 but my computer is only getting 200. Now I need to go to 3BB and get them to reduce my payments from 700 to 590 because I can't get the 400 upgrade.

what model is your Lenovo ?, at just 3 years old it should definitely have a gigabit lan

My Alienware is over 8 years old and has a gigabit LAN

Edited by smedly
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Beggar said:

The ISPs like 3BB, AIS are so happy with people that order and pay for speeds they can't use. I think this is a big business for them at the moment. Even if your hardware would support 1 Gbps you will not benefit much. It is a different story for them if you are a company or a hotel with many users. So the people should look what really makes sense for them and not look for the fastest package... 

Unfortunately, many people do not understand why a connection upgrade will not always improve their overall WWW experience. ISP's absolutely work their marketing around the fact that Joe public has limited knowledge.

Free upgrades and price reductions are carefully planned and often include adjustment to bandwidth control. Customers who receive free upgrades and then ask to be placed on a cheaper plan will not be popular with the ISP marketing planners.

PS
The favorite killer line used by the poorly trained Thai ISP technician is 'it's your equipment, not ours' 3BB were champions of BS, not sure who holds the trophy these days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, muratremix said:

I did just that with 3BB a few months back after their last round of fiber plan speed upgrades. It was no trouble or hassle at all. Just went to my local 3BB office, and told them I wanted to downgrade from their 1200b per month plan to their 700b per month plan. Filled out and signed a paperwork request form authorizing the change in service. And it took effect in a day or two.

Of course, I'm on just regular month to month service with them after having been a customer for many years. Don't have any specific contractual commitment or anything like that. For example, if someone had signed up for their new Giga service that has a 24 month service commitment, then I'm guessing they wouldn't let you downgrade from that...at least, not until after the committed 24 months. But their regular fiber plans don't have those same terms.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Not according to the techies that were here. I'm not lowering my speed, I'm still getting the same speed, ie 200/200, but the price for that speed is 110 baht less a month now that they have upgraded.

In my experience with 3BB, as long as you're not on some specific timeframe contract with them, you can raise or lower your ISP plan with them at any time. You want more, you can change to pay for more. You want less, you can downgrade and have a lower bill. Just involves filling out some paperwork at your local 3BB office.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

what model is your Lenovo ?, at just 3 years old it should definitely have a gigabit lan

It's a Lenovo All-In-One C20-0. They replaced the router, showed me the speed (400) they were getting on their own laptop, but could not get 400 out of my PC.

Edited by giddyup

12 minutes ago, giddyup said:

It's a Lenovo All-In-One C20-0. They replaced the router, showed me the speed (400) they were getting on their own laptop, but could not get 400 out of my PC.

If it's this one, the specs list says it has a Gigabit ethernet adapter, and AC wifi:

https://www.lenovo.com/in/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/lenovo/c-series/Lenovo-C20/p/FF3KF3C0224

178170276_2019-11-2711_42_02.jpg.25f02ef414b41c2685be5e6826bce35d.jpg

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

OK, but what does that mean?

Well, at least on the surface, assuming that's your machine, it means the ethernet connection (the cabled connection between your 3BB wifi router and your PC) should support speeds up to 1000 Mbps (which is known as Gigabit speed)....

That's NOT when your PC is connected to the 3BB router via a wifi connection. Rather, that's when your PC is getting its internet data via a physical ethernet cable running between the Gigabit-capable ethernet port on your PC and the Gigabit capable ethernet port on the back of your 3BB wifi router.

Now, obviously, your 3BB internet service is only rated at 400 Mbps, so you're not going to get 1000 Mbps anyway. But at least, if your PC and router are connected by ethernet cable, it should mean that your PC should be able to take full advantage of a 3BB 400 Mbps fiber internet service and not have your actual test connection top out at 200 Mbps.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Well, at least on the surface, assuming that's your machine, it means the ethernet connection (the cabled connection between your 3BB wifi router and your PC) should support speeds up to 1000 Mbps (which is known as Gigabit speed)....

That's NOT when your PC is connected to the 3BB router via a wifi connection. Rather, that's when your PC is getting its internet data via a physical ethernet cable running between the Gigabit-capable ethernet port on your PC and the Gigabit capable ethernet port on the back of your 3BB wifi router.

Now, obviously, your 3BB internet service is only rated at 400 Mbps, so you're not going to get 1000 Mbps anyway. But at least, if your PC and router are connected by ethernet cable, it should mean that your PC should be able to take full advantage of a 3BB 400 Mbps fiber internet service and not have your actual test connection top out at 200 Mbps.

There's a couple of leads from the router into the PC so I assume one of them is an ethernet cable. Funny, since we asked about the price being reduced the speed is now up to 300. Coincidence?

Edited by giddyup

32 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The starting point would be to find out what connection speed the PC has negotiated on the local network (WiFi or Ethernet).

Windows will show you the negotiated connection speed it has made on the network in the active connection properties.

Eg -  Negotiated local speed might be 100Mbps but the WAN is 200.

3 hours ago, smedly said:

You think he is getting 200/200 on a 10/100 Mbps ethernet?

I told you, browser based speed test sites require some serious amount of CPU power for higher speeds.

You need to learn to listen, that is if you want to learn something.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Because your computer is slow. I have a celeron NUC and I also get slower speeds on it compared to my more powerful Kaby Lake i5 Nuc.

If your model is correct it has one of those CPU

• Intel® Celeron® Processor N3050 (2M Cache, 1.6 GHz base, 2.16 GHz max)
  • Intel Pentium® Processor N3700 (2M Cache, 1.6 GHz base, 2.40 GHz max)

and they are pretty slow, like very slow (for me at-least)