3BB new plans and free speed upgrade!

muratremix

BTW, for anyone messing with wifi and trying to see what channels and settings their wifi router is using, and whether those settings are in conflict with other wifi signals/routers around you, a really good utility program for Windows PCs is inSSIDer...

It started out free, then went to a paid version, and now once again has a free version, inSSIDer Lite, that can be used simply thru registering. It's a very good tool to give you info for finetuning your wifi to achieve its best performance.

https://www.metageek.com/support/downloads/download-inssider-lite-win.html

This is the kind of things you see, and the info it provides:

88582821_2019-11-2713_50_52.jpg.d7bfc2b5042aedff81a881fe473a5be6.jpg

1423469768_2019-11-2713_42_32.jpg.42be864c472c6777b6d3f9b7438f206f.jpg

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I did just that with 3BB a few months back after their last round of fiber plan speed upgrades. It was no trouble or hassle at all. Just went to my local 3BB office, and told them I wanted to downgrade from their 1200b per month plan to their 700b per month plan. Filled out and signed a paperwork request form authorizing the change in service. And it took effect in a day or two.

Of course, I'm on just regular month to month service with them after having been a customer for many years. Don't have any specific contractual commitment or anything like that. For example, if someone had signed up for their new Giga service that has a 24 month service commitment, then I'm guessing they wouldn't let you downgrade from that...at least, not until after the committed 24 months. But their regular fiber plans don't have those same terms.

I've used 1200 baht plan for 2 years and then moved to Phuket. I've transferred existing account to here, and they made me sign (not me actually, my wife) a new contract and they said I can't change speed for the next 12 months and if we cancel, we have to pay 5000 baht install fee. What I had was a contract free, free install, free router plan from 3bb before.

So older users probably can downgrade their speeds, unless you subscribed recently.

10 minutes ago, muratremix said:

So older users probably can downgrade their speeds, unless you subscribed recently.

I think it was probably your recent physical move that caught you... I think I too had a one year commitment when I first established service with them, but that's long since passed, and it's month to month after that. So as I mentioned above, as long as you're not on a contract / specific commitment with them, account upgrades and downgrades are easy to do.

I'm a bit surprised though that they made you sign a new contract with them when you moved. When I first signed up with 3BB in BKK some years back, I specifically asked them what would happen with my initial 1 year commitment if we ended up needing to move our house during that period. And they said, as long as we were moving to some location where they provided service, they'd simply transfer our service to the new location.

But I think I was asking them that in the context of potentially moving to a new home location somewhere else in the BKK area where I was already living. I'm not sure if that same answer would have applied if I had asked, what if I was going to move from BKK to Phuket.

21 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I did just that with 3BB a few months back after their last round of fiber plan speed upgrades. It was no trouble or hassle at all. Just went to my local 3BB office, and told them I wanted to downgrade from their 1200b per month plan to their 700b per month plan. Filled out and signed a paperwork request form authorizing the change in service. And it took effect in a day or two.

Of course, I'm on just regular month to month service with them after having been a customer for many years. Don't have any specific contractual commitment or anything like that. For example, if someone had signed up for their new Giga service that has a 24 month service commitment, then I'm guessing they wouldn't let you downgrade from that...at least, not until after the committed 24 months. But their regular fiber plans don't have those same terms.

I did exactly the same as you @tallguyjohninbkk to save 500 baht + vat per month

On 11/24/2019 at 3:57 PM, eddi said:

Their technician come last week and told me that I get 5G on my phone but my laptop doesn't do 5G on WiFi so if I get it modified I will get faster downloads. (My TV does get the 5G WiFi OK)

If I get a new laptop what speed should I then get? 18Mbps?

Why not plug in a network cable?

Everything in my house has a gigabyte cable, xbox, computers, 2x TVs, 2x NAS

info please from one of you learned gents, 2 years ago i paid  BB 7000 (18% discount year in advance) for 30/100, (would that be 100/100 as i not see 30 ?) paid the same this year, speed check shows 76 download - 30 upload and 27 ping, i have been getting a lot of buffering/freeeze lately using a set top box, any ideas please thanks  KC

2 hours ago, mercman24 said:

info please from one of you learned gents, 2 years ago i paid  BB 7000 (18% discount year in advance) for 30/100, (would that be 100/100 as i not see 30 ?) paid the same this year, speed check shows 76 download - 30 upload and 27 ping, i have been getting a lot of buffering/freeeze lately using a set top box, any ideas please thanks  KC

Is your box connected by wifi or ethernet cable?

Have you tried different apps/services on the box to make sure that it's not the particular service you're using that's buffering vs your internet connection causing the problem?

Regular HD video only requires about 5 Mbps of bandwidth... and SD video even less than that... And of course, it also depends on whether the content you're accessing is coming from inside Thailand or outside via international connections.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Why not plug in a network cable?

Everything in my house has a gigabyte cable, xbox, computers, 2x TVs, 2x NAS

Re @eddi Or, it's also relatively cheap and inexpensive to buy and use a new USB wifi adapter externally that's compatible with 5 GHz wifi... turn that on, and turn off the older one inside your laptop... Then you have 5 GHz wifi on your laptop as well...   But ethernet is better, if your physical layout allows it.

2 hours ago, rbkk said:

AIS have upgraded my 300/100 package to 500/200 (actual=554/228)    ????

Ditto for me....noticed it about a week ago when doing some speed testing with my new laptop.  Never got a heads-up/notice from AIS of the upgrade.  When I checked my AIS online profile it shows I'm still officially on a 300/100 plan however it's now set to 500/200.  See below. 

image.png.3624d1748767f8aa63c89f16de810f2c.png

And if you use the AIS Speed Toggle feature (3BB calls their version of this speed changing feature My SWOP) I can select various download/upload speeds of 700/50, 500/200 (the default setting for me), 350/350, 200/500, and 50/700.  Can toggle back and forth between the various speeds no problem...and the speed change is immediate.

I have an ASUS 86U (Wifi5/AC2900) router being feed by an AIS-provided Hawaii HG8245H router set to bridge mode and I can get approx 650Mb Wifi speed (sometimes a little higher) on the 5Ghz band with my new laptop which has a Wifi6 (801.11ax) 2x2 stream Intel AX200 Wifi module when in the same room or next room upstairs.  Start putting more distance between the router and laptop like going downstairs with the laptop (the router is upstairs) then the speed rolls off to around 550-650Mb depending on where I'm at downstairs because the Wifi signal needs to fight through a concrete floor 4 to 6 inches thick and maybe some 4 inch thick concrete walls.

Question:  For any of you folks who may be on a 1000Mb (1Gb) speed plan I would be interested to know if you've ever been able to get in the 900-950Mb ballpark with an ethernet connection since you don't really get 1Gb on a 1Gb plan....it's more like in the lower 900Mb ballpark for most people with a good fiber connection based on my googling.

Earlier this week I took advantage of a free one day upgrade to 1000/1000 (AIS does that when you pay your monthly bill on time) to see if my new laptop (a Lenovo P53 laptop with i7 9thGenCPU, 8GB RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Win 10 Pro installed and basically nothing else installed) would pull over 900Mb on a 1Gb plan. I was using the MS Edge browser with Speedtest.net.  I ran dozens and dozens of speedtests using Speedtest.net to approx a dozen local Bangkok servers (I live in Bangkok) over a 24 hour period and never could pull a speed greater than 872Mb.  There were a few times while some tests were running that 900Mb was briefly flirted with but when the test completed the final result was lower.  I would say the average of the "many" tests I did to numerous Bangkok servers "averaged" a little over 800Mb download speed.  Upload speed would usually be a little faster.   

Yea...just wondering if any of you on a 1000Mb plan here in Thailand get over 900Mb with an ethernet connection.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Ditto for me....noticed it about a week ago when doing some speed testing with my new laptop.  Never got a heads-up/notice from AIS of the upgrade.  When I checked my AIS online profile it shows I'm still officially on a 300/100 plan however it's now set to 500/200.  See below. 

image.png.3624d1748767f8aa63c89f16de810f2c.png

And if you use the AIS Speed Toggle feature (3BB calls their version of this speed changing feature My SWOP) I can select various download/upload speeds of 700/50, 500/200 (the default setting for me), 350/350, 200/500, and 50/700.  Can toggle back and forth between the various speeds no problem...and the speed change is immediate.

I have an ASUS 86U (Wifi5/AC2900) router being feed by an AIS-provided Hawaii HG8245H router set to bridge mode and I can get approx 650Mb Wifi speed (sometimes a little higher) on the 5Ghz band with my new laptop which has a Wifi6 (801.11ax) 2x2 stream Intel AX200 Wifi module when in the same room or next room upstairs.  Start putting more distance between the router and laptop like going downstairs with the laptop (the router is upstairs) then the speed rolls off to around 550-650Mb depending on where I'm at downstairs because the Wifi signal needs to fight through a concrete floor 4 to 6 inches thick and maybe some 4 inch thick concrete walls.

Question:  For any of you folks who may be on a 1000Mb (1Gb) speed plan I would be interested to know if you've ever been able to get in the 900-950Mb ballpark with an ethernet connection since you don't really get 1Gb on a 1Gb plan....it's more like in the lower 900Mb ballpark for most people with a good fiber connection based on my googling.

Earlier this week I took advantage of a free one day upgrade to 1000/1000 (AIS does that when you pay your monthly bill on time) to see if my new laptop (a Lenovo P53 laptop with i7 9thGenCPU, 8GB RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Win 10 Pro installed and basically nothing else installed) would pull over 900Mb on a 1Gb plan. I was using the MS Edge browser with Speedtest.net.  I ran dozens and dozens of speedtests using Speedtest.net to approx a dozen local Bangkok servers (I live in Bangkok) over a 24 hour period and never could pull a speed greater than 872Mb.  There were a few times while some tests were running that 900Mb was briefly flirted with but when the test completed the final result was lower.  I would say the average of the "many" tests I did to numerous Bangkok servers "averaged" a little over 800Mb download speed.  Upload speed would usually be a little faster.   

Yea...just wondering if any of you on a 1000Mb plan here in Thailand get over 900Mb with an ethernet connection.

my 200/200 plan was uncapped until they changed the speed for everyone and i was getting 950mbps on torrents both ways. (70mb/sec+)

30 minutes ago, bearpolar said:

my 200/200 plan was uncapped until they changed the speed for everyone and i was getting 950mbps on torrents both ways. (70mb/sec+)

Assuming you meant 70MB (as in Bytes) vs 70mb (as in bits)...70MB would be 560Mb not 950Mb.  

On 11/28/2019 at 10:32 AM, mercman24 said:

Is it fiber or VDSL in a Condo/Apartment?

Got fibre into 2 condos - different locations. 3BB both of them.

Low rise condo - line direct from street level. Had to pay for the installation inside condo building.

High rise condo was accepted and installed by 3BB provided certain number of condo owners signed up. Guess less than 10% signed up as few live there year around.

On 12/3/2019 at 8:14 PM, smedly said:

I have 3bb fibre in my condo

Some newer condos (especially lowrise ones) allow fibre to the room. However, majority of old condominium buildings won't allow it. You're lucky to have fiber to your unit.

Archived