Family-Owned Thai Restaurant in Texas Gets Racist ‘Speak English’ Note From Customer

rooster59

Family-Owned Thai Restaurant in Texas Gets Racist ‘Speak English’ Note From Customer

Jin Hyun

Untitled-collage-13.jpg

A Thai restaurant located in Lubbock, Texas received a disturbing anonymous message on Thursday, demanding that the restaurant’s employees “learn to speak English.”

Thai Thai Restaurant posted a photo of the message, which was handwritten on a napkin, on their Facebook page. The note read: “If you’re going to live in AMERICA learn to speak ENGLISH! Or, go back to where you came from!”

The identity of the person who wrote the racist message, which was reportedly left at the counter during lunchtime, remains unknown.

Full story: https://nextshark.com/thai-restaurant-racist-message/

Nextshark: 2019-11-23

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll probably catch hell for this, but in a way I tend to agree with the sentiments of the note. I learned very quickly that to truly get by in Thailand I had to learn the language. If you are living in a country whose language is different than your own, it pays to learn it. 

Well, anyone that up roots and go to live elsewhere should be ready to be singled out, ridiculed and ostracised to a varying degree, it happened here to many foreigners and it happened everywhere else, so either roll with the punches or do your soul searching... 

image.jpeg.5b45462990c10e8f4a6403bb6484e36a.jpegIf the happy birthday party for poppa picture is actually a family photo (therefore inclusion herein), I very much doubt that there is an English language barrier.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How was the note racist?

Xenophobic 

4 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

I'll probably catch hell for this, but in a way I tend to agree with the sentiments of the note. I learned very quickly that to truly get by in Thailand I had to learn the language. If you are living in a country whose language is different than your own, it pays to learn it. 

But you still meet a lot of people who can't even order a noodle soup in Thai after living here for many moons.....

What would be in the news if a Thai would write such a note about foreigners living in LOS? 

These are the people who usually call Thais idiots, not knowing who the real idiot is. 

Would anybody write such a note at a Turkish market in Berlin, where only words like social help in German, etc. are known, the person would be a racist up and down.

I'd have thought that they do speak some English, maybe not perfect, but nothing in this world is perfect. 

Is it possible that the author of the napkin note is a member of KKK? 

3 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

What would be in the news if a Thai would write such a note about foreigners living in LOS?

They do. Publicly. And some even hold high positions. And none of it makes any critical news at all.

When I work the hotel before an Aussie couple got lost with the thai taxi. 

Because there accent say the hotel name wrong. So he take them to wrong hotel (sound same they say it)

They so angry!!

They say “Stupid idiot, why he can not speak English? They should speak English!” 

Very rude to the guy. They refuse pay to him. Very sticky!

I explain for them 

1) if he high education, study English, he not will be taxi driver, he will have higher job. 

2) and because they say it wrong way. 

Have many other time have customer say like this “should speak English”. A lot. Angry. Same taxi driver, just cleaner staff or waiter staff, low salary. Expect to much.

i think always it people who not learn another language who think like this. 

Always England, Aussie, say it this way.

German, Italian, Chinese etc never complain angry this way. I think they understand learn the language not easy. Will make some mistake.

For me euro speaking English is easier than Aussie or English speaking, because they use simple grammar.

If they study another language, they can understand is very difficult. ESPECIALLY understand other person talking quickly.

Learn language have 4 thing. 

1) writing

2) reading

3) speaking

4) listening. 

Listening the most difficult one. Sure. Because the 1,2,3 you control the speed. 

4 the other person control. So more difficult.

people think “oh she can speak English” but is difficult to listen.

if you not speak thai in thailand, is best to speak very slow, and basic English. 

Basic English easy for thai to understand. Not make it complicated grammar. Is to difficult. 

Ps. I can not understand Scotland people 1%.

I know quite a lot of long term stay foreigners in Thailand who couldn't speak Thai properly beyond the numbers but they were not told to go back to their home country.

BTW, the native language in America is Red Indian speech and not English so who should go back?

As a 5th generation Texas, I offer my apologies to the owner and staff. Many native Texans occasional forget that their ancestors came to Texas as immigrants and not speaking the local language - Spanish. Even at the battle for Texas independence at San Jacinto, there were many Texas patriots that only spoke Spanish. And let's not forget the many Germans and Czechs that came to Texas in the 1800s, many of whose descendants still speak their native languages better than English. 

Texas is a land of immigrants. 

David

Just now, gk10002000 said:

I wish the Thai owned restaurant owners would speak more Thai!  I love it here in San Diego where several of the places have Thai owners or workers and it is good to chat some Thai when I go there

Same with my favorite Thai restaurant in Austin, Texas. The owner and staff are all from northern Thailand. They get a good laugh when I talk to them in my  - very bad - Thai. 

David

Archived