Land in A. Si Saket under Sor Por Kor (SPK)

orlov

Thai wife is about to buy about  300tw of land under SPK from a family member and we want to build a small house on it. Obviously the money is coming from me and I’m aware that SPK land can only be transferred between family members so the land will basically be a gift to the wife. But what about the house? Could it be registered in my name, or even joint names even though sitting on SPK land? If not, how could I protect my security of habitation should our marriage turn sour in future years? Would the house have any future salable value even though ownership of the land would remain within the family?  

Land transferred between family members is usually done as a gift.

Unless a foreign mug is involved.

Just don't do it.

Almost no village property has any value, unless it's a massive and productive farm, everyone is moving to the towns.

If you have money to burn, buy a condo in your name.

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Land transferred between family members is usually done as a gift.

Unless a foreign mug is involved.

Just don't do it.

Almost no village property has any value, unless it's a massive and productive farm, everyone is moving to the towns.

If you have money to burn, buy a condo in your name.

I’m talking about the house, not the land. The two are separate entities. I own properties in Pattaya and Samui so that is not the issue here. 

3 minutes ago, orlov said:

I’m talking about the house, not the land.

Thais build their own houses on their own family land.

Nobody will want to buy yours, which was built at double price for everything.

How many western design houses are all ready for sale in the village?

I'm guessing none.

It is only transferable to family members upon the death of the person named on the Sor Por Kor titled paper. Although Thais make up the rules as they go don't let them tell you otherwise. Too many land disputes in Thai courts because of this transferring land which is nontransferable before the person dies. And by law only a house of wooden construction is legally allowed.

20 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

It is only transferable to family members upon the death of the person named on the Sor Por Kor titled paper. Although Thais make up the rules as they go don't let them tell you otherwise. Too many land disputes in Thai courts because of this transferring land which is nontransferable before the person dies. And by law only a house of wooden construction is legally allowed.

Not saying you’re wrong but the land will be transferred to wife from her aunt at the appropriate office in Si Saket next week without anybody dying. Also nearly all the land in her village is Sor Por Kor land and there are many brick and tile houses built on them. 

19 minutes ago, orlov said:

Not saying you’re wrong but the land will be transferred to wife from her aunt at the appropriate office in Si Saket next week without anybody dying. Also nearly all the land in her village is Sor Por Kor land and there are many brick and tile houses built on them. 

I'm in no doubt what you say but what I say is true, regarding the government laws, and not the village make do as we like laws. If you are going to build an expensive house which you can't afford to have repossessed later build it legally. A protracted legal fee will levied on top if you try to fight repossession. Just my advice. 

Sor Por Gor. 4-01 (S.P.G. 4-01) is an allotment of land from the land reformative committee. Under no circumstance may this land be bought or sold. It confers the right to occupy only and be transferred only by inheritance. It seems that the land may be used for agriculture only

1 hour ago, orlov said:

Why did you even ask any of us, there's nobody on this forum that will tell you it's a good idea to buy unchanoted family land in a rural location. Most of us are thinking your wife is probably conspiring with her family (and her 'brother') to scam you out of some money.

You even mentioning 'security of habitation' tells us you've got the same thought in the back of your mind.

You'd have to be insane to be contemplating living in the 'family village' after the relationship had finished.

Even when the wife/family and everything is all legit, this is what can happen ........

Note the foreigner with the 100Mbht house about to be ousted by the government.

Archived