Vientiene airport to Udon Thani airport by land. How long?

I'll be flying into Vientiene airport next week, arriving at 17.50. I'm planning on gettng a taxi to the border, and and then a taxi on the Thai side to Udon Thani airport.

At what time should I expect to arrive at Udon Thani airport? The reason I ask is that the last flight to bkk is at 21.50.

• Like 1

I just watched a video on You Tube, the channel is Bangkok 112 ... and it was of him going by bus from Vientiane to Udon Thani Airport ... I might be wrong but I think it was slightly less than one hour, so a taxi should be a better and slightly faster way to go. 

Go on to the channel and try to find it. In fact, I did:

You're not gonna make it  ????

It's going to take you 1hr from the airport in Laos to the thai border.

That is if they drive decently, no jams or hickups.

Then you lose let's say 30 minutes to check out

and check in into thailand.

You should get a taxi fairly easy, as they surround you like flies attracted to shoney

the drive is normally 1hr.

Expect traffic jams around that time, especially in the city

so it's gonna be a stressful ride...watching your watch all the time

If you are luck, and there are no delays in finding a taxi, checking out etc....

you would have 30 minutes left before the check-in counter at the airport closes

I would reschedule my flight

and spend a night in Udonthani

have some good restaurants there

????

Good luck

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MarcB said:

You're not gonna make it  ????

It's going to take you 1hr from the airport in Laos to the thai border.

That is if they drive decently, no jams or hickups.

Then you lose let's say 30 minutes to check out

and check in into thailand.

You should get a taxi fairly easy, as they surround you like flies attracted to shoney

the drive is normally 1hr.

Expect traffic jams around that time, especially in the city

so it's gonna be a stressful ride...watching your watch all the time

If you are luck, and there are no delays in finding a taxi, checking out etc....

you would have 30 minutes left before the check-in counter at the airport closes

I would reschedule my flight

and spend a night in Udonthani

have some good restaurants there

????

Good luck

Yes,  I figured it would be touch and go.  I was guessing that there wouldn't be any queues at both immigration points at that time of the evening.

Anyway,  a night in Udon Thani isn't a bad idea. 

28 minutes ago, Seth1a2a said:

For future reference, you can usually type in just about "any" driving distance request at google.com

Distance.png

Yes, you can. Not if you want a correct time given, but just for fun it´s ok.

Google is good for many things. Distance and time as well as translate is not any of them, I am afraid.

You can not use your time for anything, because you do not know how easy it will be to get transportation, how many times you need to stop and change, as well as time for Immigration out of Laos, waiting for bus over bridge and Immigration time for entering Thailand. 

To the OP: Read and listen to @MarcB and chose to stay one night in Udon Thani. It´s gonna be hard to get everything working in the time you want.

6 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

Yes,  I figured it would be touch and go.  I was guessing that there wouldn't be any queues at both immigration points at that time of the evening.

Anyway,  a night in Udon Thani isn't a bad idea. 

You never know the amount of people at that border. Last timne I went about that time it took me over 1 hour just entering Thailand. it was huge ques.

As you post, take a night in Udon.

• Like 1

Depending on what time they close the check-in counter

You could go for it.

If not, the airport is like 15 minutes from the center and the worst that can happen is that you have to buy a new ticket to bkk and a hotel.

Maybe 2.000 baht loss including some good food

????

good luck and enjoy

I agree with 'no camp'. I've had a couple of frightening rides on route 2 to Udon Thani and that was in the daytime! When I was last up that way there were big hold ups at the Udon northerly bypass intersection where they're building a flyover, but that might be finished now.

From my experience of that trip, I'd go for a night stop in Nong Khai which is a pleasant place to stay, It's easy from there to get a 'flight plus shuttle' from a local agency. All much less stressful.

• Like 1

I have done that journey a few times, never made it under 2 hours 30 minutes, but I was never rushing.  Interestingly, at least for my wife and I, I met my wife on just such a journey, stopping off for a break and a drink in one of the many villages I passed through and there she was, that was 22 years ago,  and the roads have improved a good deal since then

23 minutes ago, MarcB said:

Depending on what time they close the check-in counter

He could get his boarding pass online and not have to worry about it.

If he got to the airport a half hour before his flight he would not have a problems since it is a domestic flight,

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, MarcB said:

You should get a taxi fairly easy, as they surround you like flies

There is worse than a night in Udon :biggrin:

And:

my only visit to Vientiane was a day time trip just did some sightseeing and have a big Lao beer.

From what you find on the net they now have some decent places to hang around. No reason to hurry.

Edited by KhunBENQ

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I agree with 'no camp'. I've had a couple of frightening rides on route 2 to Udon Thani and that was in the daytime! When I was last up that way there were big hold ups at the Udon northerly bypass intersection where they're building a flyover, but that might be finished now.

From my experience of that trip, I'd go for a night stop in Nong Khai which is a pleasant place to stay, It's easy from there to get a 'flight plus shuttle' from a local agency. All much less stressful.

there were big hold ups at the Udon northerly bypass intersection where they're building a flyover, but that might be finished now.....It IS Now Open.....

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I also like Nong Khai, a number of times I took the bus up to NK and spent the night there to cross into Lao the next day. 

One night had bbq at the place set up on the street and met a Mexican guy who was a naturalized US citizen married to a Thai woman, they were visiting her family.  I asked him "am I in Nong Khai or Tijuana?"

• Like 1

22 hours ago, UdonRoy said:

I have done this trip dozens of times and you will comfortably make it, arriving at Udon airport between 20:00 and 20:30 would be my guess but if it’s going to stress you then probably best to do the overnight stop.

I would have thought the same.  Should arrive border by 6:45( if plane on time-yes maybe big if).  Done w immig by 7:30. Arrive airport by 8:30 barring any construction I don’t know about. 

Thank you for this topic!

I'm guessing the above estimates presume an international flight into Vientiane and that the Laos visa-on-arrival process isn't long.

Unfortunately it looks like the 21:50 flight out of UTH isn't available on the date I want next month (Dec 30), with the last flight out of UTH being at 21:35. Additionally, I'm scheduled to land from China into Vientiane at 18:10, so 20 minutes later than the original poster (it was late - 15 minutes - once in the last 10 flights).

Based on the very-helpful replies here, it seems likely I'd arrive at UTH by 20:50, 45 minutes before the flight. I have no issue accepting a stressful connection. It sounds as though navigating the airport is fast, but Nok Air (and Air Aisa) close check-in 45 minutes before departure so it seems unlikely it would work in my case. Regardless, thanks to everyone who shared their experience!

A follow up to anybody that's interested.. 

Flight arrived in on time at 17.50. I had an evisa so flew through immigration, and was in my taxi to the friendship bridge at 18.00.(560 baht).

Arrived at the Laos border at 18.40. No queues. Got a taxi on the Laos side for 1700. No queues at the Thai border,  and through at 19.00. (immigration officer couldn't have been friendlier)

Arrived at Udon Thani airport at 19.55.

So 2 hours and 5 mins from plane landing in Vientiane to Udon Thani airport.

Edited by mockingbird
  • Thanks 2

On 11/27/2019 at 6:23 PM, landosmiles said:

Thank you for this topic!

I'm guessing the above estimates presume an international flight into Vientiane and that the Laos visa-on-arrival process isn't long.

Unfortunately it looks like the 21:50 flight out of UTH isn't available on the date I want next month (Dec 30), with the last flight out of UTH being at 21:35. Additionally, I'm scheduled to land from China into Vientiane at 18:10, so 20 minutes later than the original poster (it was late - 15 minutes - once in the last 10 flights).

Based on the very-helpful replies here, it seems likely I'd arrive at UTH by 20:50, 45 minutes before the flight. I have no issue accepting a stressful connection. It sounds as though navigating the airport is fast, but Nok Air (and Air Aisa) close check-in 45 minutes before departure so it seems unlikely it would work in my case. Regardless, thanks to everyone who shared their experience!

If using taxis, you would likely be able to make the connection. Will you have checked baggage? If not, your chances would be even better as you will not need to handle the bags, and can use online check-in (so arriving at Udon Thani airport 25 minutes before the flight would be just about OK). All this assumes that your flight into Vientiane is on time. It is reassuring that past history suggests an on time arrival.