Making Windows 10 look like Windows 7.

KhunHeineken

1 hour ago, stouricks said:

Upgraded both my PCs yesterday to W10 2004 ( I know why was it not called 0420!) Took 15 minutes to download and install, but then 30 minutes to 'Work on the Upgrades'. I went out and washed the car while it was doing it. Not noticed any significant difference in speed or features. The only app which needed re-installing was.........Classic Shell, but now it is OK.

I would have replied directly to your post but I was typing a longer post as an update when you posted.  Please see Post #240.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

I have since purchased an SSD. 

THANK GOD. But this will cause great unemployment throughout an entire industry here.

The cloning is not a problem, but I am still unsure about the Windows 10 license for doing this.   

Use the clone in the same machine and the license isn't an issue.

Take all of the package, or get none of it. Not great options.

Later you can uninstall one or more of the updates that came in the package, however.

we can continue discussing Windows 7 v Windows 10, and how we can gain freedom of choice for Windows 10.

Yep, but our experts have declared that discussing any choices about the Win 10 interface is strictly off limits, sorry.

On 6/26/2020 at 12:34 PM, BigStar said:

Later you can uninstall one or more of the updates that came in the package, however.

I'll have to look into how to do that.

On 6/26/2020 at 12:34 PM, BigStar said:

Yep, but our experts have declared that discussing any choices about the Win 10 interface is strictly off limits, sorry.

There's a lot of criticism directed at those who prefer the Windows 7 UI, and are using Classic Shell, but I don't see too much praise for the Windows 10 UI.  ????

As for the clone and Windows 10 license, I believe there is some formula like no more than 3 hardware changes, or something like that.  Anyone know about this? 

Edited by KhunHeineken

• 2 weeks later...

Update.  

I did a fresh install of the latest Windows 10 Build No. 2004.  Had a few driver issues, but got that sorted.  Straight away I noticed the machine was faster, having cleaned out all the rubbish.  No notable difference to me between Build 2004 and Build 1909.

My new Samsung SSD arrived.  I bought a TLC SSD, mainly for extra longevity.  I cloned the HDD to the SSD and then unplugged the HDD from it's SATA port and plugged in the SSD into the same SATA port.  the HDD now sit dormant in the case.

I bought an adapter for the SSD.  I screwed the SDD onto the adapter, but could only get 2 screws into the adapter to hold it to the case, but the SSD's are so lite that 2 screws should be fine for the rare occasion I have to transport the case.  

As expected, start up time is a lot quicker, and the machine is faster.   I will look at getting SSD's for my laptops now.  I just have to check if they will take the same SSD's, or the other style, I think it's the M2 plug.   

Back to Windows 10.  My frustrations continue.  There were some minor issues I could fix, but the latest issue is I can not run .exe files after the fresh install, which many program installers use.  I have tried the "%1"%*" registry fix but still can not get it to work.  Next is to disable Firewall and AV, even pull out the ethernet cable.  Any tips on this would be appreciated.   In all previous version of Windows I have never come across this problem. 

Is Windows 10 Build 2004 progress, or regress?  The owner of an Operating System should not have to tweak the registry to get such a simply thing working.  

On 7/12/2020 at 12:05 PM, KhunHeineken said:

Update.  

I did a fresh install of the latest Windows 10 Build No. 2004.  Had a few driver issues, but got that sorted.  Straight away I noticed the machine was faster, having cleaned out all the rubbish.  No notable difference to me between Build 2004 and Build 1909.

My new Samsung SSD arrived.  I bought a TLC SSD, mainly for extra longevity.  I cloned the HDD to the SSD and then unplugged the HDD from it's SATA port and plugged in the SSD into the same SATA port.  the HDD now sit dormant in the case.

I bought an adapter for the SSD.  I screwed the SDD onto the adapter, but could only get 2 screws into the adapter to hold it to the case, but the SSD's are so lite that 2 screws should be fine for the rare occasion I have to transport the case.  

As expected, start up time is a lot quicker, and the machine is faster.   I will look at getting SSD's for my laptops now.  I just have to check if they will take the same SSD's, or the other style, I think it's the M2 plug.   

Back to Windows 10.  My frustrations continue.  There were some minor issues I could fix, but the latest issue is I can not run .exe files after the fresh install, which many program installers use.  I have tried the "%1"%*" registry fix but still can not get it to work.  Next is to disable Firewall and AV, even pull out the ethernet cable.  Any tips on this would be appreciated.   In all previous version of Windows I have never come across this problem. 

Is Windows 10 Build 2004 progress, or regress?  The owner of an Operating System should not have to tweak the registry to get such a simply thing working.  

What software did you use to clone your HDD to SSD? If the clone completed correctly and you can't open .exe files, something naughty has happened.

What were the 'minor' issues that you fixed?

For the registry fix it should be "%1"%* and not "%1"%*" as you have written above. This has to be written to all relevant folders in the registry.

What are your BIOS/UEFI settings like?

15 hours ago, chrisinth said:

What software did you use to clone your HDD to SSD? If the clone completed correctly and you can't open .exe files, something naughty has happened.

What were the 'minor' issues that you fixed?

For the registry fix it should be "%1"%* and not "%1"%*" as you have written above. This has to be written to all relevant folders in the registry.

What are your BIOS/UEFI settings like?

I used a paid version of Acronis to clone the disk.  All appeared to go well.

There were a few minor issues, nothing major.  For example, after the clone, I couldn't see a partition.  I went into Disk Management and got it to display again. 

I did enter "%1%*  The extra inverted comas were a typo in my post. 

I've since spend more time on this and still can not run .exe files.  I sometimes get a blue Windows box saying "Warning not a Windows App" or something like that.  I've turned off Windows Firewall, AV, Windows App Guard, or whatever it is.  Still no luck.  7-Zip is installed as well. 

Next thing Google advises is to try to install the program in Safe Mode, but that will be a pain for every new program I want to install.  The program is nothing special and is installed on my laptops and runs fine.  

Just a reminder.  This was a fresh install of Windows 10 Build 2004, not an update, on a HDD, which was shortly after cloned to a SSD. Never had this problem before, in any version of Windows.  

6 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I used a paid version of Acronis to clone the disk.  All appeared to go well.

There were a few minor issues, nothing major.  For example, after the clone, I couldn't see a partition.  I went into Disk Management and got it to display again. 

I did enter "%1%*  The extra inverted comas were a typo in my post. 

I've since spend more time on this and still can not run .exe files.  I sometimes get a blue Windows box saying "Warning not a Windows App" or something like that.  I've turned off Windows Firewall, AV, Windows App Guard, or whatever it is.  Still no luck.  7-Zip is installed as well. 

Next thing Google advises is to try to install the program in Safe Mode, but that will be a pain for every new program I want to install.  The program is nothing special and is installed on my laptops and runs fine.  

Just a reminder.  This was a fresh install of Windows 10 Build 2004, not an update, on a HDD, which was shortly after cloned to a SSD. Never had this problem before, in any version of Windows.  

If it is a fresh install to an HDD, there should be nothing worth keeping. So run a fresh install to the SSD.

You seem to revel in making your life more complicated. You do everything in the opposite way that you have been advised and are then baffled when things don't work out. So then come back here for someone to sort it out for you.

Why did you not simply wait for the SSD to arrive and install Windows 10 to it?

I for one am not inclined to use the time to troubleshoot what you may have done wrong along the way. Just clean install to the new SSD and save us the headache. ????

On 7/14/2020 at 5:50 PM, Eindhoven said:

If it is a fresh install to an HDD, there should be nothing worth keeping. So run a fresh install to the SSD.

You seem to revel in making your life more complicated. You do everything in the opposite way that you have been advised and are then baffled when things don't work out. So then come back here for someone to sort it out for you.

Why did you not simply wait for the SSD to arrive and install Windows 10 to it?

I for one am not inclined to use the time to troubleshoot what you may have done wrong along the way. Just clean install to the new SSD and save us the headache. ????

I had some free time, and was impatient to wait on the post.  No need to make it a personal thing.

I don't see the difference between a fresh install on a HDD and then clone to SSD, or a fresh install on a SSD and clone to a HDD.  I guess some data could be corrupted during the cloning process.

Anyway, I have since got to bottom of this issue.  The software involved is paid software, not free software.  I emailed the company and explained the issue and requested they email me the software, which they did, as a zip file.  They did this, and the software installed trouble free.  I emailed the company back telling them they may have a problem with the direct download.  

I have since downloaded and installed small test programs with .exe setup and they installed no problem.  I then uninstalled the software as it was just for testing purposes. 

When troubleshooting Windows 10 being unable to run .exe files, I discovered a lot of information about this issue, which was an issue that I never ended up having. 

It was just an unfortunate coincidence it was the last program I had to install, and thought something had become corrupted.  

Not being able to run .exe files is yet another Windows 10 bug that I had never come across in other versions of Windows, despite discovering I didn't actually have the problem.

The SSD is good and I will be looking at upgrading my other machines in the near future.  

I had some free time, and was impatient to wait on the post.  No need to make it a personal thing.

I don't see the difference between a fresh install on a HDD and then clone to SSD, or a fresh install on a SSD and clone to a HDD.  I guess some data could be corrupted during the cloning process.

Anyway, I have since got to bottom of this issue.  The software involved is paid software, not free software.  I emailed the company and explained the issue and requested they email me the software, which they did, as a zip file.  They did this, and the software installed trouble free.  I emailed the company back telling them they may have a problem with the direct download.  

I have since downloaded and installed small test programs with .exe setup and they installed no problem.  I then uninstalled the software as it was just for testing purposes. 

When troubleshooting Windows 10 being unable to run .exe files, I discovered a lot of information about this issue, which was an issue that I never ended up having. 

It was just an unfortunate coincidence it was the last program I had to install, and thought something had become corrupted.  

Not being able to run .exe files is yet another Windows 10 bug that I had never come across in other versions of Windows, despite discovering I didn't actually have the problem.

The SSD is good and I will be looking at upgrading my other machines in the near future.  

I have no idea as to what it is that you are going on about.

Why are you talking to me about cloning? There was no need to clone at all. Just you taking the long way around as usual.

Too many words in your posts to no avail. I just like to get to the point and move on.

Maybe it appears that I am a bit blunt, but I deal with many of these issues every day, so no time to get bogged down with unnecessary actions etc.

I look at the problem and come up with the quickest and easiest solution and then move on.

Because you appear to behave illogically and take the long way around everything, it takes time away from me helping others if I decide to help you.

So I just give you the best, quickest and easiest solution and then move on to the next person.

So don't take offence, I just have to be efficient.

17 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

I have no idea as to what it is that you are going on about.

Why are you talking to me about cloning? There was no need to clone at all. Just you taking the long way around as usual.

Too many words in your posts to no avail. I just like to get to the point and move on.

As I posted, it was my intention to have a dormant HDD remaining in the case that had a fresh install and loaded with my programs, but my SSD was going to be my C drive containing the operating system. 

Should the SSD fail, or become infected with a virus, or corrupted some how, I can format the SSD, plug in the HDD and have a clean install on the HDD drive to clone the SSD again.  Saves loading all my programs again.  There will be some updates to do, but all my programs and settings will be there.

The HDD is currently sitting in the case, unplugged, with a fresh install of Windows 10 Build 2004, and my programs and setting on it, that's all. 

I have the Acronis program that creates an image, but over time the image also gathers rubbish.  The dormant HDD will not.  

15 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Maybe it appears that I am a bit blunt, but I deal with many of these issues every day, so no time to get bogged down with unnecessary actions etc.

I look at the problem and come up with the quickest and easiest solution and then move on.

Because you appear to behave illogically and take the long way around everything, it takes time away from me helping others if I decide to help you.

So I just give you the best, quickest and easiest solution and then move on to the next person.

So don't take offence, I just have to be efficient.

I appreciate all input on any thread I have started, no matter how blunt.

I understand the quickest and easiest solution is "reinstall Windows."  How many people get told this when they take a computer to a shop with a software problem?  Easy fix to the problem, but goodbye data, and the customer has to reload everything.  That said, I understand this is sometimes the only solution.  

I actually think what I have done is not a bad idea.  As mentioned, I have a fresh install of the latest Windows 10, with my programs and settings sitting on a dormant HDD in the computer case.  I am running off the SSD, and when that gathers a lot of rubbish, I can format and clone again, without having to reload all my programs and settings.  

2 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

problem?  Easy fix to the problem, but goodbye data, and the customer has to reload everything.

Not entirely true. I recently got a laptop and SSD and no way was I going to clone my 8 year old system onto a brand new SSD - besides which I don't think I could as different hardware/drivers. Point being I did a fresh install of Win10 and then used the free CloneApp (must be a few apps like this) that copies across my old data files and settings, so when I reinstall the software as well, it reappears as on the old PC with my original data links and settings, I keep all data on a 2nd drive. YMMV, some softwares not supported, but it saved me a heap of time and I have a fresh new PC.

On 7/20/2020 at 7:44 PM, WorriedNoodle said:

Not entirely true. I recently got a laptop and SSD and no way was I going to clone my 8 year old system onto a brand new SSD - besides which I don't think I could as different hardware/drivers. Point being I did a fresh install of Win10 and then used the free CloneApp (must be a few apps like this) that copies across my old data files and settings, so when I reinstall the software as well, it reappears as on the old PC with my original data links and settings, I keep all data on a 2nd drive. YMMV, some softwares not supported, but it saved me a heap of time and I have a fresh new PC.

That's basically what I have done.

Fresh install of Windows 10 onto the HDD.  Installed my programs and settings on the HDD.  Cloned the HDD to the SSD.  The SSD now has a fresh install with my programs and settings on it.  Disconnected the HDD and installed the SSD to the SATA port.  

As time goes by and the SSD gathers rubbish, I can format the SSD and clone the fresh Windows 10 install with programs and settings on the HDD back onto the SSD, do some Windows 10 updates and some minor software updates, but don't have to install all my programs and settings again which will save a lot of time.  

Having a bit of a brain freeze, I just factory rest my PC, everything is fine updated and running perfect and i now want to use the debloater, which I have done before. My problem is I can't get powershell in my right click context menu to open debloater with.

Looked online but can't seem to find the answer. I have opened and run powershell as administer. I know it must be something simple I am missing.

Help pretty please please anyone

7 hours ago, bartender100 said:

Having a bit of a brain freeze, I just factory rest my PC, everything is fine updated and running perfect and i now want to use the debloater, which I have done before. My problem is I can't get powershell in my right click context menu to open debloater with.

Looked online but can't seem to find the answer. I have opened and run powershell as administer. I know it must be something simple I am missing.

Try doing the OPPOSITE of this...

https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-command-window-here-back-context-menu-windows-10

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, bartender100 said:

Which version of Windows are you running? If it is W10, right-click on the start button and you should see this:

1437673179_Rightclick-01.jpg.e7a5ebcb59fe84e615ea23f76c47a3ba.jpg

If you need the link in your context menu, @JaiMaai's link above will do that. On the other hand, using a third party software is a lot easier. There are a lot of programs out there and I use a portable version of WinAeroTweaker to alter my context menu (as below) which for me is extremely handy:

1817477404_Rightclick-02.jpg.378fd92688caead157c05223e8857dba.jpg

On the subject of debloating (through GitHub scripts), there are now different scripts for W10 2004 and earlier releases; see attached .docx file for clarification. That said, the following script will open the latest update direct from the web, just paste into Powershell (running as admin) and use the GUI version provided:

[ For copy & paste:  iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://git.io/debloat')) ]

1510026831_Rightclick-03.jpg.cc0ebed16f03851105dc5d02290681af.jpg

480095059_Rightclick-04.jpg.53687cdbdc95de14f8b909323c272789.jpg

The attached .docx explains better. And just to clarify (even though this link is safe) it is entirely up to the user whether they trust links to these type of scripts on the net.............:thumbsup:

Debloat Windows 10 in 2020_Explaination.docx

Edited by chrisinth
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2020 at 5:12 PM, chrisinth said:

Which version of Windows are you running? If it is W10, right-click on the start button and you should see this:

1437673179_Rightclick-01.jpg.e7a5ebcb59fe84e615ea23f76c47a3ba.jpg

If you need the link in your context menu, @JaiMaai's link above will do that. On the other hand, using a third party software is a lot easier. There are a lot of programs out there and I use a portable version of WinAeroTweaker to alter my context menu (as below) which for me is extremely handy:

1817477404_Rightclick-02.jpg.378fd92688caead157c05223e8857dba.jpg

On the subject of debloating (through GitHub scripts), there are now different scripts for W10 2004 and earlier releases; see attached .docx file for clarification. That said, the following script will open the latest update direct from the web, just paste into Powershell (running as admin) and use the GUI version provided:

[ For copy & paste:  iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://git.io/debloat')) ]

1510026831_Rightclick-03.jpg.cc0ebed16f03851105dc5d02290681af.jpg

480095059_Rightclick-04.jpg.53687cdbdc95de14f8b909323c272789.jpg

The attached .docx explains better. And just to clarify (even though this link is safe) it is entirely up to the user whether they trust links to these type of scripts on the net.............:thumbsup:

Debloat Windows 10 in 2020_Explaination.docx 70.37 kB · 1 download

The old version of Windows 10 Debloater seems to be still working.  Is the old version clearing out new bloatware, or you have to update to the latest version of Debloater?  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...