Making Windows 10 look like Windows 7.

KhunHeineken

19 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Yes, as mentioned in an earlier post I have been using Windows10Debloater, which is 'legal' freeware/script so it should be allowed a mention on here, for about a year now. This allows you to blacklist/whitelist what you want to keep or get rid of.

This gets you close to the LTSC version with full ability to update. Or, you can use the Windows10Debloaterps1 version (GUI) and get rid of it all with one button push as well as blocking all (well most of) the privacy settings too with another click.

Have to remember to re-run the program after major version updates, ie, 1809 to 1903. As 1909 is more like a small service pack rather than a full upgrade, the settings remained the same so I didn't have to run again.

Sounds like what I am after for getting rid of all the rubbish.  Thanks. 

Was this the program you also used to change the privacy settings?

19 hours ago, yogi100 said:

I also had a W8 machine that I had updated to W10.

A pal then installed Classic Shell and the W7 style Start system on it and it's just like a the old W7 laptop I also use as a spare, wonderful.

Exactly what I am after, but with all the Windows 10 spyware disabled, and all the Windows 10 bloatware uninstalled. 

It seems there is a lot more work to do than just installing Windows 10 and running Classic Shell. 

2 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Sounds like what I am after for getting rid of all the rubbish.  Thanks. 

Was this the program you also used to change the privacy settings?

Hi KhunHeineken,

Yes, same program. As it happens I am setting up two machines today installing W10 1909 so I have just downloaded the latest release of Debloater (released today) to run on these after install. I will give yourself (and anyone else who wants to use this) a step by step as to how to get the script and run in Powershell. These steps are for the average user and are for Windows10DebloaterGUI. Download link for this is https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater (If the link is removed, it is in the first snapshot)

Although not necessary I would advise making a backup or at least a system restore point before proceeding.

1. Go to the webpage and download the zip file from the Clone or download drop-down.

2052167723_01-debloaterdownload.jpg.ebcec3d57187a6cb1bdff4eb7908f02d.jpg

2. Once downloaded, unzip.

628770382_02-debloaterunzip.jpg.a1075bcd406a93f2958c4b06af5c2491.jpg

3. The script you are interested in is Windows10DebloaterGUI. This will give you a graphic user interface so you won't have to use code in Powershell.

1534421603_03-debloaterfolder.jpg.66b5f7385345afecaf4aa7016bc8959e.jpg

4. Right click on Windows10DebloaterGUI and select Run with Powershell.

549974728_04-debloaterpowershellinterface-01.jpg.cbe5bbd74d2c5d3585d57bc39e44fb2e.jpg

5. Depending on how your security is setup, you may get a security box open up, click Open to continue.

1821813704_05-debloaterpowershellinterface-02.jpg.d643df6bdd3fbc555b2c8276cf68c2b3.jpg

06. When Powershell opens it will ask about execution policy; type n and enter. Once done, the interface should open as below. I normally click on the Disable Telemetry/Tasks first followed by the Remove All Bloatware but it doesn't matter. You will see you have other options such as Disable Cortana (not currently available in Thailand anyway (?)), Uninstall One Drive and stop Edge PDF takeover. All handy scripts but up to the individual. 

511555932_06-debloaterpowershellinterface.jpg.3e20766c4c01c52774d9ac2d31461fdf.jpg

You will be able to follow the actions of the script(s) in the background in Powershell. Once all actions are completed just close debloater.

This obviously isn't for everybody but in my opinion it certainly makes W10 better and you will likely see a speedup in boot and shutdown times especially if you are still using HDDs. I would also advise running the script(s) before installing any W7 GUI programs.

NOTE: You can read the Readme.md file by right-clicking and open in Notepad. Worth doing.

Enjoy.....................:thumbsup:

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Exactly what I am after, but with all the Windows 10 spyware disabled, and all the Windows 10 bloatware uninstalled. 

It seems there is a lot more work to do than just installing Windows 10 and running Classic Shell. 

Like you I also gave W10 a chance but could not see any light at the end of the tunnel. It did not get any easier and it had me wondering why the people at Windows had tried to fix something that wasn't the slightest bit busted.

I'm afraid I dunno anything about W10 spyware and don't have a clue what 'bloatware' even is but my PC I'm referring to is still running well after nearly two years. Once it spent a few hours of its own accord installing 'updates' and 'configurations' and the W10 screen returned which gave me a shock but it gave you the choice of taking it back to a previous time which I did and my good old W7 system returned.

My friend in London who is a bit of a computer geek put the Classic Shell / W7 start system on my PC in about 90 minutes but a lot of that was time spent waiting for the installations to finish.

If you are a bit knowledgeable about computers you should give it a try yourself or get a pal or a shop to do it for you. It's well worth the effort.

Edited by yogi100

3 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Hi KhunHeineken,

Yes, same program. As it happens I am setting up two machines today installing W10 1909 so I have just downloaded the latest release of Debloater (released today) to run on these after install. I will give yourself (and anyone else who wants to use this) a step by step as to how to get the script and run in Powershell. These steps are for the average user and are for Windows10DebloaterGUI. Download link for this is https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater (If the link is removed, it is in the first snapshot)

Although not necessary I would advise making a backup or at least a system restore point before proceeding.

1. Go to the webpage and download the zip file from the Clone or download drop-down.

2052167723_01-debloaterdownload.jpg.ebcec3d57187a6cb1bdff4eb7908f02d.jpg

2. Once downloaded, unzip.

628770382_02-debloaterunzip.jpg.a1075bcd406a93f2958c4b06af5c2491.jpg

3. The script you are interested in is Windows10DebloaterGUI. This will give you a graphic user interface so you won't have to use code in Powershell.

1534421603_03-debloaterfolder.jpg.66b5f7385345afecaf4aa7016bc8959e.jpg

4. Right click on Windows10DebloaterGUI and select Run with Powershell.

549974728_04-debloaterpowershellinterface-01.jpg.cbe5bbd74d2c5d3585d57bc39e44fb2e.jpg

5. Depending on how your security is setup, you may get a security box open up, click Open to continue.

1821813704_05-debloaterpowershellinterface-02.jpg.d643df6bdd3fbc555b2c8276cf68c2b3.jpg

06. When Powershell opens it will ask about execution policy; type n and enter. Once done, the interface should open as below. I normally click on the Disable Telemetry/Tasks first followed by the Remove All Bloatware but it doesn't matter. You will see you have other options such as Disable Cortana (not currently available in Thailand anyway (?)), Uninstall One Drive and stop Edge PDF takeover. All handy scripts but up to the individual. 

511555932_06-debloaterpowershellinterface.jpg.3e20766c4c01c52774d9ac2d31461fdf.jpg

You will be able to follow the actions of the script(s) in the background in Powershell. Once all actions are completed just close debloater.

This obviously isn't for everybody but in my opinion it certainly makes W10 better and you will likely see a speedup in boot and shutdown times especially if you are still using HDDs. I would also advise running the script(s) before installing any W7 GUI programs.

NOTE: You can read the Readme.md file by right-clicking and open in Notepad. Worth doing.

Enjoy.....................:thumbsup:

Thanks so much for taking the time to post step by step instructions.  Much appreciated.

Probably a stupid question, but, should I disable all the spyware, and uninstall all the bloatware, before, or after, I enter the Windows 10 license number?

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

Like you I also gave W10 a chance but could not see any light at the end of the tunnel. It did not get any easier and it had me wondering why the people at Windows had tried to fix something that wasn't the slightest bit busted.

I'm afraid I dunno anything about W10 spyware and don't have a clue what 'bloatware' even is but my PC I'm referring to is still running well after nearly two years. Once it spent a few hours of its own accord installing 'updates' and 'configurations' and the W10 screen returned which gave me a shock but it gave you the choice of taking it back to a previous time which I did and my good old W7 system returned.

My friend in London who is a bit of a computer geek put the Classic Shell / W7 start system on my PC in about 90 minutes but a lot of that was time spent waiting for the installations to finish.

If you are a bit knowledgeable about computers you should give it a try yourself or get a pal or a shop to do it for you. It's well worth the effort.

I'll be giving it a go myself, in a few weeks time. 

I've never run a poll on Thaivisa, but I am wondering if I ran a poll like:  "Are you using a program to make Windows 10 look like windows 7?  Yes, or No?"  I'm thinking there might be a big win for the yes vote.  ????

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Thanks so much for taking the time to post step by step instructions.  Much appreciated.

Probably a stupid question, but, should I disable all the spyware, and uninstall all the bloatware, before, or after, I enter the Windows 10 license number?

Really doesn't matter (unless you are upgrading from home to professional through the key) but the better practice would likely be after you put your key in.

On 11/24/2019 at 10:30 AM, briley said:

Classic start shell works just fine n Windows 10 and very customizable to make it look and feel just as you want - mine looks like Win XP!

can you help me? WIN 10 wont fit my TV screen so have many problems .Changing all resolutions in settings just does not work. No solutions offered by ms work either

11 minutes ago, gamini said:

can you help me? WIN 10 wont fit my TV screen so have many problems .Changing all resolutions in settings just does not work. No solutions offered by ms work either

Google your TV model to see if there are any options to adjust overscan. 

On 11/24/2019 at 10:23 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Windows 7 was far away better than the atrocious 10. Only thing going for it is it's better than the abominable 8.

Hate using 10, but came with the machine.

I doubt anyone despises MS more than I.

Not true.  Windows 10 on a proper machine is more secure than Windows 7.  

I still like XP.  On older computers I install Windows 7 and turn off all that is not necessary.  Have you ever seen a Windows machine running at 1 percent?  That is how mine work.  Keep windows 7 especially if you have an older machine.  You will not like 10 on a non-suitable machine.

31 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

For me turning off tablet mode and using desktop mode makes Windows 10 close enough to 7 for me.  I never use windows apps.  I just use the normal programs as I always did. 

This is new to me.  I haven't come across this in my research of installing Windows 10.  I'll check it out.

As you do, I will also be using normal programs.  Not interested in apps on my computer. 

29 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Not true.  Windows 10 on a proper machine is more secure than Windows 7.  

I still like XP.  On older computers I install Windows 7 and turn off all that is not necessary.  Have you ever seen a Windows machine running at 1 percent?  That is how mine work.  Keep windows 7 especially if you have an older machine.  You will not like 10 on a non-suitable machine.

I'll be installing Windows 10 on the reasonably high end machine that I am currently running Windows 7 on.  I am not sure how, or why, Windows 10 would make my machine more secure, but I am happy to hear your explanation.  (also running a paid antivirus) 

You post does lead me to a question for more IT knowledgeable members.

I know a few old guys still using XP.  They have never had any problems with viruses, hacks etc, after support ended. 

If one was to continue running Windows 7 after support has ended, with a decent paid antivirus, what is the risk doing this? 

I remember a backdoor that was built into Windows 7, was it the Wannacry, or another one, I forget, but after so long of Windows 7, doesn't the world know all there is to know about Windows 7, including hackers, whereas Windows 10 is a constant unknown for uses, and constantly a challenge for hackers, thus, possibly more of a risk?

Edited by KhunHeineken

2 hours ago, gamini said:

Assuming you have a laptop you could try this.

Adjust the power settings so that nothing happens when you close the lid.

Go to your display settings and set multiple displays to duplicate and you should get the set resolution on both screens. When you close the lid however the TV may well change to its own resolution, that is what happens with my monitor that has a resolution not listed in the display settings.

On 11/24/2019 at 12:07 PM, KhunHeineken said:

I am now researching all the settings that should be changed to protect your privacy, and there are many. 

There's a very good website related to many things concerning computers, especially Win 10. Check YouTube for britechccomputers.co.uk, and there is a video on there about what to turn off and where to find those settings You might have found them all already, or maybe not..

26 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There's a very good website related to many things concerning computers, especially Win 10. Check YouTube for britechccomputers.co.uk, and there is a video on there about what to turn off and where to find those settings You might have found them all already, or maybe not..

Thanks for the website.

There is a lot of information about the privacy settings, only through this thread, have I now learnt about the bloatware.

Put the Windows 10 spyware and bloatware together, and there is a lot to strip out of Windows 10 before you can feel happy using it, whether using Classic Shell / Open Shell, or not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Thanks for the website.

There is a lot of information about the privacy settings, only through this thread, have I now learnt about the bloatware.

Put the Windows 10 spyware and bloatware together, and there is a lot to strip out of Windows 10 before you can feel happy using it, whether using Classic Shell / Open Shell, or not.

I think that you are somewhat misinformed about Windows 7.

Whilst you and many others are focused on the Privacy aspects of Windows 10, you appear to have totally neglected the aspects of Telemetry embedded in Windows 7.

What do you think it contained in all of those updates?

So whilst many will be looking closely at Windows 10, who will be looking out for you on Windows 7?

You are really making a mountain out of a molehill.

Clean install Windows 10 to a new SSD. That way you can always swap drives in order to go back to your beloved Windows 7.

Have you removed all of the Telemetry updates and uninstalled the Diagnostic Tracking Service in Windows 7? I guess that you have not.

I really don't see why all the fuss. The day to day usage is almost exactly the same and Apps are Programs. Just a different name for the same thing.

Just get on with it already!

• Like 2

I have a 10 year old Vaio laptop with 7 Home edition.  Since the support stoped updates it became slower and acted strange. I decided to upgrade it to 10. 1st I took it back to factory condition by recovery CDs. Then upgraded to 10. Now it works just like a new laptop.

Edited by The Theory

1 minute ago, The Theory said:

I have a 10 years old Vaio laptop with 7 Home. Since the support stoped updates it became slower and acting strange. I decided to upgrade to 10. 1st I took it back to factory condition by recovery CDs. Then upgraded to 10. Now it works just like a new laptop.

Sorry, my experience tells me you are not correct.  Try opening Chrome or any browser, and an app.  Good luck.

• Haha 1

On 11/28/2019 at 9:41 AM, KhunHeineken said:

After you install Windows 10, one of these programs that make Windows 10 appear like Windows 7 may be of interest to you.  

There is one similar to what you are looking for called "Start menuX" might be worth googling for!

14 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Sorry, my experience tells me you are not correct.  Try opening Chrome or any browser, and an app.  Good luck.

The laptop that I am using is an ACER that is coming up to 13 years old. VLC music playlist on, whilst I reply here. 

Though I have an SSD fitted.

On 11/24/2019 at 9:30 AM, briley said:

Classic start shell works just fine n Windows 10 and very customizable to make it look and feel just as you want - mine looks like Win XP!

I use this as well. 

After that I just suffer the bloat. It's not worth the effort tweaking everything. 

Try snapfiles.com

On 11/24/2019 at 10:23 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Windows 7 was far away better than the atrocious 10. Only thing going for it is it's better than the abominable 8.

Hate using 10, but came with the machine.

I doubt anyone despises MS more than I.

It's the 21st century, sir/madam! Did you even realise how special W 10 Pro really is?

Not only that W 10 Pro basically fixes itself, there's a lot more to mention. You can buy a genuine key off ebay for 250 baht and you've got a genuine version.

I hate products from Apple, because they're not as good as MS Windows 10 Pro! You can use any applications on W 10, Please try that with an Apple product.

You'll only be allowed to download apps from an Apple website and they are very limited and poor.

A good friend changed his Apple into W 10 pro because he had enough of that bs that come with it. And he should know it because he worked with computers all his life and is now 55 years old.

You only have to download a language pack in any language you can think off, install it and the machine runs in that language. Install, restart and you've got it in any language you prefer. 

W 7 needs drivers on a CD, or you have to search for the right one online and find one if you're lucky when you attach any other hardware.

QW 10 Pro "reads" what hardware it is and it downloads the right driver for you. MS has changed a lot, their customer support is outstanding and I love the way these machines work.

The security system, called "Windows Security" is very good and protects your PC very well. If you decide to put in a SSD drive, the startup and shutdown time is unbelievable. 

It's so easy to change the Start button that it looks like it's a W 7 one, but you've got all the powerful tools.

It's like saying you don't want to sit on an airplane that has turbines because you're so used to propeller engines.  

I'm running it from the start and know how to fix problems which makes me totally independent from any computer shops. 

What annoyed me were all these big updates in the last four months, but that's only an improvement of it. 

Using W 10 Pro, plus the free version of Macrium and you've got your copy on an external drive, should something go wrong.

I'm also using Kaspersky because too many websites are full of weird viruses that Windows might not detect.

There's not one reason to go back to W 7, it would be like buying a 40 year old pick up with a broken engine.

I'm not working for MS and I'm not making advertisement for them.

I'm only a happy W 10 Pro user. One out of many millions of satisfied customers.  

Edited by Isaanbiker

On 11/29/2019 at 9:53 PM, Eindhoven said:

I think that you are somewhat misinformed about Windows 7.

Whilst you and many others are focused on the Privacy aspects of Windows 10, you appear to have totally neglected the aspects of Telemetry embedded in Windows 7.

What do you think it contained in all of those updates?

So whilst many will be looking closely at Windows 10, who will be looking out for you on Windows 7?

You are really making a mountain out of a molehill.

Clean install Windows 10 to a new SSD. That way you can always swap drives in order to go back to your beloved Windows 7.

Have you removed all of the Telemetry updates and uninstalled the Diagnostic Tracking Service in Windows 7? I guess that you have not.

I really don't see why all the fuss. The day to day usage is almost exactly the same and Apps are Programs. Just a different name for the same thing.

Just get on with it already!

Not sure why you say I am misinformed. 

Windows 7 was paid for.  Windows 10 was free, because the user is now the product. 

I'm quite sure I took care of any Windows 7 telemetry some time ago, particularly the continual upgrade to Windows 10 pop ups.  I can't guarantee I have deleted it all, but did my best to delete as much of it as my limited knowledge allowed me to.    

I'll be going over to Windows 10, prior to support ending for Windows 7.  It's my intention to adjust the privacy settings, and debloat Windows 10.  It would appear many have already done the same.  I will not be going back to Windows 7, but will probably use Classic Shell / Open Shell.  

I don't think I am making a fuss.  My research has lead me to many Youtube clips and forums, and they have millions of "hits" and replies.  So, I'm not the only one looking to make Windows 10 clean, and change the UI.