Making Windows 10 look like Windows 7.

KhunHeineken

On 11/29/2019 at 11:05 PM, The Theory said:

I have a 10 year old Vaio laptop with 7 Home edition.  Since the support stoped updates it became slower and acted strange. I decided to upgrade it to 10. 1st I took it back to factory condition by recovery CDs. Then upgraded to 10. Now it works just like a new laptop.

Support for Windows 7 doesn't stop until January 2020.

8 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

I'm only a happy W 10 Pro user. One out of many millions of satisfied customers.  

Did you change the privacy settings and debloat?

I will probably see all the positives you have posted about, but unless I change / disable the privacy settings, and get rid of the bloatware, I would not be comfortable using Windows 10, regardless of using Classic Shell / Open Shell, or not. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Support for Windows 7 doesn't stop until January 2020.

My widows 7 Home had some problems with updates. It could not do updates. I assumed that it is over for 7 anyway. 

Now 10 works much better for me and I upgraded for free ????

Manufacturers like Intel do not even make drivers anymore for win7/8.1   So If you buy a newer laptop (intel 7th gen or later) processor, there is a good chance only windows 10 will run it smoothly as you will not be able to install drivers.

The good news is that you can get what is called Windows 10 Enterprise (LTSC) version.   This will give you guaranteed security updates for 10 years; no forced reboots and other nonsense.  The (proper) license is under $20 from the right reseller.

Then add Open Shell (Classic Shell refresh) to this and make the start menu look like win7.

If you want to tighten things up some more, consider Windows Firewall Control (wfc).  Set it to "medium" profile with notifications on.  You'd be amazed at how many services "request" internet access.   But do they actually need it?

edit:  I resisted 

Only older laptops are running win8.1 + classic shell, which is the true windows 10 debloated.   I actually wanted to put win 8.1 on my new laptop, but couldn't find many drivers for it.   I was so glad I found out about LTSC.

Edited by 4evermaat
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I will probably see all the positives you have posted about, but unless I change / disable the privacy settings, and get rid of the bloatware, I would not be comfortable using Windows 10, regardless of using Classic Shell / Open Shell, or not. 

Please have a look here: https://www.geckoandfly.com/25083/free-tools-disable-stop-windows-spying-tracking-you/

5 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

You could just stay with Win 7..........

A couple of sites that have great tutorials for doing most things with Win 7 and 10 -

https://www.sevenforums.com/

https://www.tenforums.com/

I only relatively recently discovered this site which is headed by a very respected tech writer -

https://www.askwoody.com/

A view from a guy who maintains over 100 installs of Win 7 on one of the Win 7 forums on that site -

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/windows-update-for-windows-7-after-1-2020/

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

Manufacturers like Intel do not even make drivers anymore for win7/8.1   So If you buy a newer laptop (intel 7th gen or later) processor, there is a good chance only windows 10 will run it smoothly as you will not be able to install drivers.

The good news is that you can get what is called Windows 10 Enterprise (LTSC) version.   This will give you guaranteed security updates for 10 years; no forced reboots and other nonsense.  The (proper) license is under $20 from the right reseller.

Then add Open Shell (Classic Shell refresh) to this and make the start menu look like win7.

If you want to tighten things up some more, consider Windows Firewall Control (wfc).  Set it to "medium" profile with notifications on.  You'd be amazed at how many services "request" internet access.   But do they actually need it?

edit:  I resisted 

Only older laptops are running win8.1 + classic shell, which is the true windows 10 debloated.   I actually wanted to put win 8.1 on my new laptop, but couldn't find many drivers for it.   I was so glad I found out about LTSC.

Thanks  for the post.

I don't think I need, or want, Enterprise (LTSC)  I'll be installing Windows 10 Pro, but disabling the spyware and debloating all the rubbish.  I'll give Windows 10 a chance, but have a feeling i"ll be installing Classic Shell / Open Shell. 

I'll check out the firewall. 

19 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

I've done my research, and also been pointed in the right direction by members on this forum.  I'll be trying my best to make Windows 10 private, and running it with the programs of my choosing.  

18 hours ago, topt said:

You could just stay with Win 7..........

A couple of sites that have great tutorials for doing most things with Win 7 and 10 -

https://www.sevenforums.com/

https://www.tenforums.com/

I only relatively recently discovered this site which is headed by a very respected tech writer -

https://www.askwoody.com/

A view from a guy who maintains over 100 installs of Win 7 on one of the Win 7 forums on that site -

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/windows-update-for-windows-7-after-1-2020/

Thanks.  Will check out the links.

Once again, can anyone tell me if there is a problem running an unsupported Windows 7, but with a paid antivirus software. 

2 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Are you running a program to make Windows 7 look like Windows 10?

I don’t care what they look like. They are all the same just look different on display. I just needed to use “Microsoft Edge”. 

Otherwise windows 7 , 10, 12  all the same. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Once again, can anyone tell me if there is a problem running an unsupported Windows 7, but with a paid antivirus software. 

Nobody knows for sure but since there are people still running XP.....

The last link is a guy who is planning to run his Win 7 installs until the hardware gives up so he believes it is not an issue.

I am also planning to do the same.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Thanks.  Will check out the links.

True computer security starts with the user. (who you let access it, what devices you connect to it, how you surf the web, etc).

Use the windows firewall control set to medium profile with notifications on.   check each program requesting access before giving it permanent access to the internet.

I actually disable windows update service without any problems.   Just be careful what you download and where you download from.   Or what usb storage device you allow to connect.  

Anything you install on that computer should solve a real problem.  And come from a trusted source.  

If you want, you can do security updates every 1-2 months.   Afer EoL, then i guess you can just leave update service permanently disabled.

On 12/2/2019 at 7:41 PM, topt said:

Nobody knows for sure but since there are people still running XP.....

The last link is a guy who is planning to run his Win 7 installs until the hardware gives up so he believes it is not an issue.

I am also planning to do the same.

I think Woody lives in Thailand, or did live in Thailand.  He was / is in Phuket.  

I'm now wondering if Windows 10 is just Windows 7, but with Microsoft spyware and bloatware, otherwise, same same. 

On 12/2/2019 at 4:20 PM, The Theory said:

I don’t care what they look like. They are all the same just look different on display. I just needed to use “Microsoft Edge”. 

Otherwise windows 7 , 10, 12  all the same. 

If the display is different, then they are not all the same. 

This thread is about changing the Windows 10 display to the Windows 7 display (UI)

Windows 10 is loaded with spyware and bloatware, Windows 7 wasn't. 

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2019 at 8:47 PM, 4evermaat said:

True computer security starts with the user. (who you let access it, what devices you connect to it, how you surf the web, etc).

Use the windows firewall control set to medium profile with notifications on.   check each program requesting access before giving it permanent access to the internet.

I actually disable windows update service without any problems.   Just be careful what you download and where you download from.   Or what usb storage device you allow to connect.  

Anything you install on that computer should solve a real problem.  And come from a trusted source.  

If you want, you can do security updates every 1-2 months.   Afer EoL, then i guess you can just leave update service permanently disabled.

I'm thinking there would be no problem staying with Windows 7, but I will upgrade to Windows 10, probably using Classic Shell / Open Shell. 

I'm pretty careful about what I surf on the internet and download, but from what I gather, eventually, certain website will not display correctly on old browsers or old operating systems, but I suppose if Firefox and Chrome keep supporting Windows 7, then this would not be an issue.

I have now bought some Windows 10 licenses.  Thanks to members who suggested online shops on where to buy.

Still a little unsure how they can be genuine, and so much cheaper than Microsoft is selling them for, but if they don't work, I haven't lost much, and will buy from another place.

I have since had a play on a straight Windows 10 machine, and a Windows 10 machine running Classic Shell.  

With the help of Google for some things, I was able to navigate around Windows 10 to all the places one needs to go occasionally.  I know I would quickly transition, but I just have no use for, and don't like, the tiles on the start icon. 

So, I think I will be running Classic Shell, not out of fear of change, but because I prefer the UI of Windows 7.  From some input on this thread, it sounds like many others do the same. 

6 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I have now bought some Windows 10 licenses.  Thanks to members who suggested online shops on where to buy.

Still a little unsure how they can be genuine, and so much cheaper than Microsoft is selling them for, but if they don't work, I haven't lost much, and will buy from another place.

I have since had a play on a straight Windows 10 machine, and a Windows 10 machine running Classic Shell.  

With the help of Google for some things, I was able to navigate around Windows 10 to all the places one needs to go occasionally.  I know I would quickly transition, but I just have no use for, and don't like, the tiles on the start icon. 

So, I think I will be running Classic Shell, not out of fear of change, but because I prefer the UI of Windows 7.  From some input on this thread, it sounds like many others do the same. 

Many people smoke cigarettes. That doesn't mean that they are good for your health.

I think you are making a lot of drama about nothing.

4.jpg.a2bf7ea91b1000cbe4d1301ae300b1bb.jpg

How can such little things take over your life? 

You don't like the tile? Remove it. No need for War & Peace.

There is a lot of new function in Windows 10 and with it comes AI and various forms of tracking your usage.

Putting a skin over the top won't change that.

By all means, disable the things for which you have no use. But the drama you are making over it is way over the top.

Google and the Thai government probably has more info on you than Microsoft does.

You'll spend your whole life trying to block each and every one from your life, for no reason at all.

• Thanks 1

Not only the skin and the colored buttons and the unwanted programs.. but it irritates me that modules that I am using are removed without warning.

HomeGroup, samba sharing, 'netbios' like naming, upnp for legacy, some elements in the game section.

Have to do register and services settings, and again after every sudden updates.

And Seven is still running steady on another computer fully under control.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

Not only the skin and the colored buttons and the unwanted programs.. but it irritates me that modules that I am using are removed without warning.

HomeGroup, samba sharing, 'netbios' like naming, upnp for legacy, some elements in the game section.

Have to do register and services settings, and again after every sudden updates.

And Seven is still running steady on another computer fully under control.

Homegroup was on the scrap list for quite some time. Network features need to move with the times and keep on top of security issues.

smb.jpg.80dcd00ba481bf6a0076a78fc3c9cc3d.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

What drama? Seems you're making the drama about non-existent drama you've imagined, like imagining

When to ask a few questions hardly implies they're "taking over" anyone's life.

No need to remove it. Just use Open Shell & then you don't see tiles often 'cause you never need them. AND you can then easily and quickly get to what you want with little to no configuration.

There is a lot of new function in Windows 10 and with it comes AI and various forms of tracking your usage.

Nobody said it would. You've confused two entirely different wants: 1. better menu 2. less unnecessary tracking. Extremely common; good free solutions are readily available, too.

By all means, disable the things for which you have no use.

Well, yes, that is what we're talking about. But the further question is, which ones are those and how should you disable them most comprehensively and efficiently so that you don't . . . .

. . . spend your whole life trying to block each and every one from your life, for no reason at all.

And I've seen some good suggestions here for tools to do exactly that. Are you helping?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Many people smoke cigarettes. That doesn't mean that they are good for your health.

4.jpg.a2bf7ea91b1000cbe4d1301ae300b1bb.jpg

By all means, disable the things for which you have no use. But the drama you are making over it is way over the top.

Google and the Thai government probably has more info on you than Microsoft does.

You'll spend your whole life trying to block each and every one from your life, for no reason at all.

Well, I guess every thread on the IT forum is about someone making a drama.  ????

It's not taking over my life.  I am learning.  It's called collaboration.  If you think my thread is wasting your time, there's no need for you to read it.  I'm not an IT guru, but I don't criticize someone who asks a basic hardware or software question.  Everyone was a a novice at some point. 

Yes, Windows 10 has new functions, bloatware, and tracking.  I learnt about these on this thread.  I also learnt how to remove them, which was a bonus.  I know removing these has nothing to do with a new skin over the top.

Yes, I will be disabling all the things I do not like about Windows 10, just like many others.  What is the drama for you about this?

I am aware total anonymity on the internet is impossible, even on the dark web.  I do not use the internet to commit crime.  I just do not like pop up ads and banners targeting me and following me around. 

I will not be trying to block each and every tracker for the rest of my life, but will run the program that was suggested by a member on this thread, which will be enough for me. 

There are several programs out there that make Windows 10 look like Windows 7.  I didn't see the harm in asking about them.  As the 14th January 2020 nears, there maybe a sharp increase in Open Shell downloads.  Are all of those people also making a drama????

Edited by KhunHeineken

11 hours ago, BigStar said:

What drama? Seems you're making the drama about non-existent drama you've imagined, like imagining

When to ask a few questions hardly implies they're "taking over" anyone's life.

No need to remove it. Just use Open Shell & then you don't see tiles often 'cause you never need them. AND you can then easily and quickly get to what you want with little to no configuration.

Nobody said it would. You've confused two entirely different wants: 1. better menu 2. less unnecessary tracking. Extremely common; good free solutions are readily available, too.

Well, yes, that is what we're talking about. But the further question is, which ones are those and how should you disable them most comprehensively and efficiently so that you don't . . . .

And I've seen some good suggestions here for tools to do exactly that. Are you helping?

Just read your post.

I think you said it better than me.  ????

9 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Well, I guess every thread on the IT forum is about someone making a drama.  ????

It's not taking over my life.  I am learning.  It's called collaboration.  If you think my thread is wasting your time, there's no need for you to read it.  I'm not an IT guru, but I don't criticize someone who asks a basic hardware or software question.  Everyone was a a novice at some point. 

Yes, Windows 10 has new functions, bloatware, and tracking.  I learnt about these on this thread.  I also learnt how to remove them, which was a bonus.  I know removing these has nothing to do with a new skin over the top.

Yes, I will be disabling all the things I do not like about Windows 10, just like many others.  What is the drama for you about this?

I am aware total anonymity on the internet is impossible, even on the dark web.  I do not use the internet to commit crime.  I just do not like pop up ads and banners targeting me and following me around. 

I will not be trying to block each and every tracker for the rest of my life, but will run the program that was suggested by a member on this thread, which will be enough for me. 

There are several programs out there that make Windows 10 look like Windows 7.  I didn't see the harm in asking about them.  As the 14th January 2020 nears, there maybe a sharp increase in Open Shell downloads.  Are all of those people also making a drama????

It's not Microsoft sending you the pop up Ads and banners. You can remove all possible tracking and learning from Windows 7/8.1/10 and you will still get served pop up Ads and banners. You can block those at Router, Host File or Browser level.

Will you analyse every new Security Update for any kind of feedback/tracking? 

You can lock down just about everything on the OS and then open Google's Chrome Browser and give them more info about you than Microsoft ever had.

My point is simply, instead of getting firmly stuck in 2009, that you actually give some of the Windows 10 features a try, instead of trying to make it look like Windows 7.

I don't have any of the dramas about tiles etc. I don't even notice them in day to day use.