Making Windows 10 look like Windows 7.

KhunHeineken

On 1/6/2020 at 7:35 PM, Eindhoven said:

At least you did something. ???? Long winded in the extreme, but, at least in your eyes, it is done. Congratulations.

Clean install is less time consuming than an in place upgrade and results in better performance.

ATOM device will be next to useless without an SSD. I doubt that you use it much because of that.

Core2Duo would likely need that too.

You can get away with it with your 'high end machines'.

Thanks for your support throughout the process.  ????

Some other small quirks found when moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10 were I lost Bluetooth on one machine.  It was one of the older machines, so not a big problem.

Also, one machine never really shut down.  LED's were still lit up, after the shut down process.  There were some Windows 10 settings that fixed this.

I'm a little confused about Windows 10 updates.  I have Windows 10 Pro, which I believe allows you to postpone the updates, but I can't find any of the old style settings like,

"Automatically Install"

"Check for updates but let me chose to install"

"Never check for updates"

Are these settings there somewhere? 

I feel I keep having to look at the update section to see if there are any postponed for 7 days, because I do not receive any notification that there are updates pending.

20 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Some other small quirks found when moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10 were I lost Bluetooth on one machine.  It was one of the older machines, so not a big problem.

Also, one machine never really shut down.  LED's were still lit up, after the shut down process.  There were some Windows 10 settings that fixed this.

I'm a little confused about Windows 10 updates.  I have Windows 10 Pro, which I believe allows you to postpone the updates, but I can't find any of the old style settings like,

"Automatically Install"

"Check for updates but let me chose to install"

"Never check for updates"

Are these settings there somewhere? 

I feel I keep having to look at the update section to see if there are any postponed for 7 days, because I do not receive any notification that there are updates pending.

You can just install a Bluetooth Stack. A clean install eliminates those little problems.

After you get to Windows Updates, choose Advanced Options. That is where you defer Updates.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

You can just install a Bluetooth Stack. A clean install eliminates those little problems.

After you get to Windows Updates, choose Advanced Options. That is where you defer Updates.

I have no problem with deferring them in settings.  I just don't know that there are any updates available, downloaded, pending install, or deferred, unless I check everyday, which I do.

In Windows 7, if you were not set to automatic, which I never was, a little icon would appear in the task bar letting you know some Windows Updates required your attention. I can't seem to set up Windows 10 the same way.

Thanks for the advice about a Bluetooth Stack.  I will look into it.

Edited by KhunHeineken

5 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I have no problem with deferring them in settings.  I just don't know that there are any updates available, downloaded, pending install, or deferred, unless I check everyday, which I do.

In Windows 7, if you were not set to automatic, which I never was, a little icon would appear in the task bar letting you know some Windows Updates required your attention. I can't seem to set up Windows 10 the same way.

Thanks for the advice about a Bluetooth Stack.  I will look into it.

This little snippet indicated that you do....

I feel I keep having to look at the update section to see if there are any postponed for 7 days

This tool looks like forgotten,.... but still works , long list of "ready made" auto commands 

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/activate-godmode-in-windows-10/

Make folder and name it : {ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}  

DONE !

Example ...

God Mode.png

Edited by david555

On 1/29/2020 at 5:52 PM, Eindhoven said:

I don't want to run them manually.

I would like them to run at start up, and then give me options, the way windows 7 did. 

Is this possible with Windows 10?

Edited by KhunHeineken

8 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

So, it can't be done.  Right?

"Right?" You want another reply?

My answer is that I can no longer be bothered to assist you in your trivial pursuits.

Too many people who need help and actually take good advice.

Better to leave the millions who you think are following the same path as yourself to assist you.

So now once again, I'm leaving you to it.

On 1/31/2020 at 5:32 PM, Eindhoven said:

Better to leave the millions who you think are following the same path as yourself

Well, there have been millions and millions of downloads of Classic Shell, so I suppose there are a lot of people that prefer the Windows 7 UI.  As I left my more to Windows 10 until the end of Windows 7 support, I guess it's me that's following them.  

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

Well, there have been millions and millions of downloads of Classic Shell, so I suppose there are a lot of people that prefer the Windows 7 UI.  As I left my more to Windows 10 until the end of Windows 7 support, I guess it's me that's following them.  

Who knows? Who cares? Follow your path, follow their path....whatever floats your boat.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 12:07 AM, balo said:

Plenty of programs available that will fix the problem and give you the start menu back . 

I am on Win 8.1 myself using Classic Shell https://www.classicshell.net . 

And I have no plans to upgrade to Win 10. 

I never saw it as a problem, as such, but more Microsoft's failure to recognize that the Windows 7 UI was well liked by millions around the world. 

Microsoft gets heavily criticized by people from all around the world, including myself sometimes.  You would think a piece of third party software that runs in conjunction with Windows 8 and 10 to replicate the Windows 7 UI, that has been downloaded about 30 million times, would get their attention, but no. 

I stayed with Windows 7 until a couple of weeks before they ended support.  Eventually, Windows 8 and 8.1 support will end.  Will you still stay with Windows 8.1, or migrate to Windows 10?

I used Open Shell, and with a few tweaks, my Windows 10 looks a lot like Windows 7.

On 2/4/2020 at 11:15 PM, Eindhoven said:

Who knows? Who cares? Follow your path, follow their path....whatever floats your boat.

Well, Microsoft did listen after the Windows 8 debacle and gave everyone back their Start icon.

Did you also complain about the lack of the Start icon?   

Well, Microsoft did listen after the Windows 8 debacle and gave everyone back their Start icon.

Did you also complain about the lack of the Start icon?   

No, I did not. I went from 7 to 10, bypassing Windows 8 completely.

But Windows 10 is a different animal. Wasting time and energy to make it look like Windows 7 is a bit weird in my opinion.

But it takes all sorts, doesn't it?

What happens after a feature update? Do you have to repeat the whole mess again?

• Like 1

I never saw it as a problem, as such, but more Microsoft's failure to recognize that the Windows 7 UI was well liked by millions around the world. 

Microsoft gets heavily criticized by people from all around the world, including myself sometimes.  You would think a piece of third party software that runs in conjunction with Windows 8 and 10 to replicate the Windows 7 UI, that has been downloaded about 30 million times, would get their attention, but no. 

I stayed with Windows 7 until a couple of weeks before they ended support.  Eventually, Windows 8 and 8.1 support will end.  Will you still stay with Windows 8.1, or migrate to Windows 10?

I used Open Shell, and with a few tweaks, my Windows 10 looks a lot like Windows 7.

Do Windows 7 interface addicts spend hours playing with the start menu?

They remind me of that British guy Fred Dibnah and his steam powered DIY tools.

Windows 7 to Windows 10 was almost no change for me. Boot up and start working with the start menu mostly redundant. Need a rarely used application, hit up the search box and its there in a flash. Put the control panel and a few tools on the start tiles and its rock and roll with Win10.

PS

This thread has entertainment value and some.

On 2/7/2020 at 1:23 PM, Fruit Trader said:

No. That’s the beauty of Open Shell. Download, install, forget. Everything you need’s there and in place. ????
Rather, in a remarkable contrast, it’s the Win 10 interface fanbois who spend hours playing with their start menus, removing crapware tiles, configuring tiles, finding stuff to make their tiles usable, etc.

the-amount-of-bloatware-in-windows-10-is-just-ridiculous-524716-3.jpg.dc7f81e55db5d132ee5d1278ca468d9c.jpg

Not in your case, of course. You must imagine that Win 7 had it as well, so "almost no change": you still got all that crapware thrown in your face whenever you hit the Start button. Rock and roll! ????

Then there’s the reconfiguring after M’soft changes a setting, if you can find out how:

Starting in version 1909, also known as November 2019 Update, the Start Menu expands automatically once you hover over icons on the left. This new behavior is something that some users do not like. Unfortunately, there is no option in Settings to disable it.

--https://winaero.com/blog/disable-start-menu-auto-expand-on-mouse-over-in-windows-10/

Then for some reason, probably that of the Sunk Cost Fallacy, our fanbois have to endure the pain of a puckered sphincters and waste more time obsessing about Open Shell users.

Why you so obsessed with me ?

They remind me of that British guy Fred Dibnah and his steam powered DIY tools.

Windows 7 to Windows 10 was almost no change for me. Boot up and start working with the start menu mostly redundant. Need a rarely used application, hit up the search box and its there in a flash. Put the control panel and a few tools on the start tiles and its rock and roll with Win10.

Wow. Suddenly I’m reminded of a Gangnam Style parody, IT Style, of that Korean guy PSY.

PS

This thread has entertainment value and some.

TVF thanks you for your contribution to the entertainment. Next.

Edited by BigStar

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

No. That’s the beauty of Open Shell. Download, install, forget. Everything you need’s there and in place. ????
Rather, in a remarkable contrast, it’s the Win 10 interface fanbois who spend hours playing with their start menus, removing crapware tiles, configuring tiles, finding stuff to make their tiles usable, etc

But I just turn on the windows 10 PC and in a few clicks I am working exactly the same as with windows 7. I really don't care much about the back end when 99.9% of the work is done inside applications that have changed little as the OS moves up a step.

My HTPC also went from 7 to 10 and functions much the same although it might be little more stable and less annoying when the AV receiver puts a high on the HDMI line.

Now if I spent lots of time polishing and tinkering with the OS like the kids do around here and not really doing anything productive, I might be a little upset with the unfamiliar shell.  

1 hour ago, Fruit Trader said:

But I just turn on the windows 10 PC and in a few clicks I am working exactly the same as with windows 7.

That's after this:

Need a rarely used application, hit up the search box and its there in a flash. Put the control panel and a few tools on the start tiles

With Open Shell the Control Panel is already by default in a flyout menu that opens on hover. As are the Administrative Tools and other useful items. All listed compactly with whatever tools you add. No need to configure a tile, no need to find a tile, no need to click on a tile, no distracting M'soft bling. Open Shell of course has the search box as well with the same flash. 'Course you might hit the wrong search box have the internet searched and Cortana get involved. ????

I really don't care much about the back end when 99.9% of the work is done inside applications that have changed little as the OS moves up a step.

The shell is the front end of the OS that you'll deal with daily before you get to any apps or, as needed, to the back end of the OS.

Unfortunately Windows too often requires visits to the back end. And getting there should be as fast as possible without some dumbed-down app in the way. Now, Open Shell follows the same menu paradigm as followed by most Linux shells: Mate, Cinnamon, Xfce, even KDE among others. Why? Because objectively speaking even the Linux geeks find it most convenient. Has nothing to do with retro steam-powered nonsense and addiction to the past our high tech fanbois assert here.

Some Windows users do prefer that paradigm and Open Shell provides it. There are in fact quite a lot of Windows third-party apps that many find add value to generic Windows. Open Shell is merely one of them. Nothing to see here, really. Live and let live. 

Now if I spent lots of time polishing and tinkering with the OS like the kids do around here and not really doing anything productive, I might be a little upset with the unfamiliar shell.

I don't know of any "kids around here" who spend "lots of time polishing and tinkering with OS." You? In fact, installing Open Shell already represents less tinkering than you did with your OS. Far as you know, many an Open Shell user may be a lot more "productive" than you are. We're awfully impressed with your productivity, however.

So, just another little red herring. Done?

Need a rarely used application, hit up the search box and its there in a flash.

Except when it's not.

Windows 10's search tool stopped working earlier this week. Instead of the blank text field just waiting for user queries, the operating system displayed a black box, leaving users without a convenient way to run local searches. . . .

The company said on February 5 that it was "aware of a temporary server-side issue causing Windows search to show a blank box." . . .

That alone was enough to prompt backlash from some users. Why did Windows need access to Microsoft servers to conduct local searches? How much information about those searches--and their results--was being shared with Microsoft? And how could such a critical utility fail for so many people?

--https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-search-not-working-complaints

Turns out that Windows 10's crappy search utility is surprise! spying. Rock and roll. Me, again I use a great third-party utility for searches: Everything. And it's bound to a hotkey so I can get to it a lot faster than if I went thru Windows search from the menu. Open Shell's menu. ????

3 hours ago, BigStar said:

Except when it's not.

--https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-search-not-working-complaints

Turns out that Windows 10's crappy search utility is surprise! spying. Rock and roll. Me, again I use a great third-party utility for searches: Everything. And it's bound to a hotkey so I can get to it a lot faster than if I went thru Windows search from the menu. Open Shell's menu. ????

You can call it spying but did you read the EULA fully before agreeing to it?

You consented.

In this day and age why anyone concerned with security even considers using Microsoft products astonishes me.

8 hours ago, mrfill said:

You can call it spying but did you read the EULA fully before agreeing to it?

You consented.

Irrelevant, as I didn't consent not to call it what is or get rid of all of it that I possibly can. Which I did. After a series of major updates I do a recalibration w/ the latest version of Tron script, too. In the instance I cited, my Search continued right on working. ???? If passivity's your thing, though, enjoy. 

8 hours ago, mrfill said:

In this day and age why anyone concerned with security even considers using Microsoft products astonishes me.

Oh, we're all just SO easily astonished around here. Actually, I'm not terribly concerned. But obviously, some applications we want or need run only under Windows, so it's a necessary evil after you get rid of the bloatware, end as much spying as possible, get rid of the internet Search and Cortana, and improve the interface a bit. Among a few other things, all to be done mostly automatically (sorry, it's a trivial effort w/ all the tools available, comparable to installing your fave browser w/ extensions, or Office or whatever). I also use Linux, BTW.

Edited by BigStar

On 2/7/2020 at 4:40 PM, Eindhoven said:

No, I did not. I went from 7 to 10, bypassing Windows 8 completely.

Why did you bypass Windows 8?

Wasting time and energy to make it look like Windows 7 is a bit weird in my opinion.

Windows 10 is a lot like Windows 8.  You bypassed Windows 8 to stay with Windows 7, but you criticize people staying on Windows 7 because they don't like Windows 8 and Windows 10. 

Making Windows 10 look like Windows 7 is the solution for these millions of people around the world. 

But it takes all sorts, doesn't it?

Yes, it does. There are some that like Windows 8, but you bypassed it.  Does that mean yo were wrong to do so?  I also bypassed Windows 8. 

The early adopters of Windows 10 had a lot of issues.  There was certainly no rush to upgrade when Windows 7 was working perfectly fine. 

What happens after a feature update? Do you have to repeat the whole mess again?

Yes, I will, and it's not a mess.  The programs are saved, just run them and check some boxes to disable what the Windows 10 feature update re-enabled. 

• Haha 1

On 2/7/2020 at 5:23 PM, Fruit Trader said:

Need a rarely used application, hit up the search box and its there in a flash.

Or, click and scroll.  It's an individual choice. 

On 2/7/2020 at 5:23 PM, Fruit Trader said:

Obviously they do, hence, Windows 8's failure, and the introducing of Windows 8.1 shortly after.

We are not talking about one poster on TV, being me. 

There were, and still are, millions around the world that prefer the Windows 7 UI.  Microsoft got it right with Windows 7. 

It seems like change for change's sake.  More like a marketing ploy to promote a fresh look. 

As far as candy crush, and the other rubbish, being on an expensive new business machine, really?    

I am at a complete loss for the need to even access the start button on W10, let alone emulate the GUI of an unsupported operating system.

In all honesty, as a 'heavy' computer user, the only time that I access the start button is by 'right click' only. I have absolutely no need for the 'left click' visuals. What do you people focus on with the start button?

I admit that I do use a 3rd party application launcher called Rocket dock (this is a 2007 released free software which still works perfectly) and takes about 15 minutes to setup for each clean install of the operating system. This gives me instant access to any software that I need. The launchbar hides itself when not used and appears on mouse over. If there is something else I need, I just use the search function.

rocketdock.jpg.c42543e3d6fb2e4f2fc511f74506d4c1.jpg

I understand that everyone has different needs when it comes to 'personal computers' but IMO, you are all thinking too much into the start button issue. Even if you don't like the tiles, just right click on the ones you don't want and unpin them, you won't see them again...................:thumbsup:

Edited by chrisinth

6 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Why did you bypass Windows 8?

Windows 10 is a lot like Windows 8.  You bypassed Windows 8 to stay with Windows 7, but you criticize people staying on Windows 7 because they don't like Windows 8 and Windows 10. 

Making Windows 10 look like Windows 7 is the solution for these millions of people around the world. 

Yes, it does. There are some that like Windows 8, but you bypassed it.  Does that mean yo were wrong to do so?  I also bypassed Windows 8. 

The early adopters of Windows 10 had a lot of issues.  There was certainly no rush to upgrade when Windows 7 was working perfectly fine. 

Yes, I will, and it's not a mess.  The programs are saved, just run them and check some boxes to disable what the Windows 10 feature update re-enabled. 

Sorry, but I'm not interested in wasting time discussing a redundant subject.

I read the first paragraph.

Obviously I bypassed Windows 8 because Windows 7 was still supported.

Now we are with with Windows 10. 

I don't have the hoarder's need to cling on to the past.

Reminds me of the hordes of girls trying to look like something else using plastic surgery and ending up looking like something out of Frankenstein's monster.

2 hours ago, chrisinth said:

I am at a complete loss for the need to even access the start button on W10, let alone emulate the GUI of an unsupported operating system.

We had astonishment. Now we have complete loss. Complete. And horror at Frankestein's monster! Alas, our poor members. Other third-party utilities may be acceptable. CCleaner? Knock yerself out.

But don't dare touch that menu sacred to the TVF priests of high tech. You're menacing the religion! OMG.

tumblr_335150c735620c4afea9a6ef9942df9a_135da2c0_400.gif.d2db4d3d4719965b3179da226a7ab2fa.gif

In all honesty, as a 'heavy' computer user, the only time that I access the start button is by 'right click' only. I have absolutely no need for the 'left click' visuals. What do you people focus on with the start button?

Lemme think. Hmm. Oh! How about the programs and applets you focus on with RocketDock after you set it up?

Really.

I admit that I do use a 3rd party application launcher called Rocket dock (this is a 2007 released free software which still works perfectly) and takes about 15 minutes to setup for each clean install of the operating system. This gives me instant access to any software that I need. The launchbar hides itself when not used and appears on mouse over. If there is something else I need, I just use the search function.

And there we go. To each his own third-party utility. Open Shell already has all the programs and applets conveniently located, on the menu, that you spend time (or have spent, assuming you copy your config from one machine to another) finding and dragging into RocketDock. And when you install a new program you’ve got to find the program executable and drag into position on RocketDock where you can find it. Then when you delete a program, RocketDock doesn't delete its icon, so you gotta do that manually.

Finally, if RocketDock config file gets corrupted, you've gotta do it all over again. But you've got a backup. 

I seem to be missing the big deal here.

That said, I also like launchers and use tabbed ObjectDock, convenient for the categories. It does require maintenance, however. It could be essentially reproduced on the Start menu. And the Start menu will open with a press of the Windows key.

I understand that everyone has different needs when it comes to 'personal computers' but IMO, you are all thinking too much into the start button issue.

Seems you're doing the same, by your own actions. Pot, kettle?

Even if you don't like the tiles, just right click on the ones you don't want and unpin them, you won't see them again...................:thumbsup:

Why bother? But there’s much more. It’s putting things back onto the Start menu, automatically, that used to be there and you still want there, like a flyout (on hover) Control Panel with all the applets conveniently and simply listed. (RocketDock requires a click and then it has to open up an App before you can click on the applet you want. Then you gotta bother to close that app.) Hence, Open Shell's access to an applet is (cough) more instant.)

And there’s even getting rid of the advertising appearing on the Start menu (though we have one self-proclaimed expert here claiming that Windows 10 never has any, though maybe that's only if you have an SSD). The latest:

kem71jgzcof41.png.175a2f5b3faac92319b3e4385b7cc372.png

I don't think you have much of a point except that RocketDock can add something to Open Shell. ????

Edited by BigStar