BANGKOK
Rimmer

Pattaya unprepared for plastic-bag ban

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Fun-bags for life !     555

Until they ban silicone bags.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Giving it a Go said:

7/11's are selling forever bags for 39 baht. Someone needs to design forever bags for drinks that can go on the handlebars. The bags are there to buy. No excuse!

Right on comrade,can,t begin to tell you how I cry myself to sleep every night worrying about my carbon footprint.

It should not be a problem in Pattaya. Many (yes, men and women) probably have a condom or two on their person.

Off topic post and reply removed

4 hours ago, Giving it a Go said:

7/11's are selling forever bags for 39 baht. Someone needs to design forever bags for drinks that can go on the handlebars. The bags are there to buy. No excuse!

Must be a regional thing, I'm yet to see them

3 hours ago, TEFLKrabi said:

Did anyone consider tourist places like Pattaya and how the tourists will not be prepared for this?

Now that, to me, sounds like a business opportunity. Bag sir, only 50 Baht?

Many years ago I owned an import export business in Singapore as well as five retail mountain bike shops, weekends I would often help out in one or other of the shops, my favorite saying when attending to a customer was  "would you like an environmentally unfriendly plastic bag that will still be here in one hundred years time"?  Nine times out of ten the reply was 'Ohhh yes please'. :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TEFLKrabi said:

Did anyone consider tourist places like Pattaya and how the tourists will not be prepared for this?

Many, possibly most (?) tourists will be from countries where this is already happening like UK for example. Here we've not had free "single-use" plastic bags for several years.

• Like 1

Yes, it's a Thai problem.  As said, most tourists are already conditioned to the 'no plastic bag' scene.  The problem is mostly with some of the 'pro-plastic' posters on this forum.  Some people will never understand and carry on with their head in the sand.  Fortunately, they are very much in the minority.

• Like 1

Tesco express had reusable plastic carrier bags for 5 baht when i last went in. maybe after having to buy a few the idea will sink in. As said, in Europe most countries banned free single use carrier bags years ago. Was not an issue. Maybe the die hard 'I want a bag' farangs moved to Thailand to avoid the ban - tough, you are running out of bags ....

On 11/25/2019 at 8:49 AM, VBF said:

Many, possibly most (?) tourists will be from countries where this is already happening like UK for example. Here we've not had free "single-use" plastic bags for several years.

Only at some big stores but small shops give away bags.

21 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Only at some big stores but small shops give away bags.

Actually in UK, it's ALL "large retailers" - by law if a small business employs fewer than a certain number of people, they can continue to give free bags 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/carrier-bag-charges-retailers-responsibilities links to

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/carrier-bag-charges-retailers-responsibilities#work-out-if-youre-a-large-retailer

Edited by VBF

What is really funny about this is!

We are living in a place that enforce this policy right away. So on the 25 there were no more plastic bags available in our local 7/11.

So the alternative was to buy a bag... Which was also a plastic made bag. Thicker and smaller than the other usual bags. Sold for 20 baht a piece. And guess what those bag where sold inside a plastic covering!!!! I told the staff and she realised it and laughed 

So no more plastic bags to buy a smaller thicker plastic bag sold in a plastic film

You got it covered 

That day I heard many people saying ... No bags then keep what I want to buy 

The idea is great but the execution is mentally retarded 

33 minutes ago, dudopode said:

What is really funny about this is!

We are living in a place that enforce this policy right away. So on the 25 there were no more plastic bags available in our local 7/11.

So the alternative was to buy a bag... Which was also a plastic made bag. Thicker and smaller than the other usual bags. Sold for 20 baht a piece. And guess what those bag where sold inside a plastic covering!!!! I told the staff and she realised it and laughed 

So no more plastic bags to buy a smaller thicker plastic bag sold in a plastic film

You got it covered 

That day I heard many people saying ... No bags then keep what I want to buy 

The idea is great but the execution is mentally retarded 

Yes I do have many carry bags in my car we don't get plastic bags anymore in shops.

(In Australia) but one thing really annoys me, when I go shopping (lets say vegetables)

every thing is wrapped in plastic