BANGKOK
KhunBENQ

Ban of sugar cane burning enforced this year. Really?

sugars  going to get expensive then, also didnt they used to spray it with gramaoxone?

50 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Can someone confirm?

I live in Issan and am always anxious about the smoke from the burning of the rice and sugar cane fields, so far so good.

My wife has told me that the village has announced on many occasions over the past months that there is no burning allowed, and anyone seeing anyone burning is to either report it to the mayor or police who will act swiftly.

So far so good, not wanting to jinx myself, but how good would it be not to have to breath in that smoke in, it is something that will send me and the family away from here if it continues, i.e. plan B is to move and rent in Hua Hin as I here it's good down there and when we went in May, we liked the place, alternatively, just close it all up and go back to Oz and pay a higher cost of living to breath fresh air.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

around us almost everyone burns the crop, there is about 10 rai  25m from where im sitting now....  loads of rai around us under cane (1000's rais) local place thats buys pays around 100 baht more per ton if not burnt, burning/cutting will start after the new year, can not see them stopping burning where we live.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

sugars  going to get expensive then, also didnt they used to spray it with gramaoxone?

Judging from the amount of obesity and diabetes that's around nowadays, I'd call that a positive benefit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chazar said:

sugars  going to get expensive then

If only.

The price that the farmers get will fall.

Driven by world market prices. Oversupply.

In about two weeks the season will start here and I will know for sure.
Would be a relief but still hundreds of heavy truck loads will drive by over the months. Can last until April :saai:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thoongfoned said:

around us almost everyone burns the crop, there is about 10 rai  25m from where im sitting now....  loads of rai around us under cane (1000's rais) local place thats buys pays around 100 baht more per ton if not burnt, burning/cutting will start after the new year, can not see them stopping burning where we live.....

It's a reality people have to get used to.

If it can be avoided it will but sometimes workforce logistics,disease,etc leave some with no other choice.

I don't grow sugar anymore but will burn my fire breaks on the property again this year,i have a 76 year old neighbour who has slashed and burned forever.I just make sure my boomspray is full of water to help him if it looks like getting away. The bit of smoke we put out is minimal compared to the controlled burns in the park behind us.

6 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

If only.

The price that the farmers get will fall.

Driven by world market prices. Oversupply.

In about two weeks the season will start here and I will know for sure.
Would be a relief but still hundreds of heavy truck loads will drive by over the months. Can last until April :saai:

It is not  only the sugar that comes from the mills ,our local mill also makes ethylal alcohol ,from the cane bi-product molasses which then go's on to make gasohol for all our vehicles .

Can not see the price dropping that much ,the government will help out ,and that will help keeping the import of crude oil down ,

This area is well down on cane this year been dry for the past 2 years ,low cane yields farmers are going back to maize or cassava , 

16 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

It's a reality people have to get used to.

Tell that to all the children who will grow up with lung disease, asthma etc. Hope you enjoy your burning.

10 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I live in Issan and am always anxious about the smoke from the burning of the rice and sugar cane fields, so far so good.

My wife has told me that the village has announced on many occasions over the past months that there is no burning allowed, and anyone seeing anyone burning is to either report it to the mayor or police who will act swiftly.

So far so good, not wanting to jinx myself, but how good would it be not to have to breath in that smoke in, it is something that will send me and the family away from here if it continues, i.e. plan B is to move and rent in Hua Hin as I here it's good down there and when we went in May, we liked the place, alternatively, just close it all up and go back to Oz and pay a higher cost of living to breath fresh air.

We have lots of those notices... massive posters, put up all over the countryside here in CM too...… today cycling I passed a couple of the signs next to rice fields that were burning.  No good having these laws and spending money and time on putting posters up, if everyone knows there is zero enforcement!  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

We have lots of those notices... massive posters, put up all over the countryside here in CM too...… today cycling I passed a couple of the signs next to rice fields that were burning.  No good having these laws and spending money and time on putting posters up, if everyone knows there is zero enforcement!  

These posters burn well ,they  are good for starting the fires.

• Haha 1