BANGKOK
KhunBENQ

Ban of sugar cane burning enforced this year. Really?

The gov. just announced another 31 billion baht in handouts to the rice farmers along with the other billions <deleted> away on other worthless schemes the last few years. Just think how much equipment that could have bought to help them modernize their farming practices. TIT.

The cane cutting hasn't gotten into full swing around here yet.  There have been some fires in the distant hills but none around me yet.  I had to go on the road past the mill last week which is usually a disaster this time of year due to the cane trucks but I did see any yet.  The mechanicakl harvesting is increasind and they don't burn those fields as they bale the leftover forrage after cutting  I looked at importing a JD3510 harvester a few years ago but was unable to find an interested local investor.  Most of the harvesters are trucked in and the owners buy the whole field up front, harvest, bale, transport and sell all in one package, with no burning

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We`ve moved to a town now but prior to that we were living out in the sticks in a beautiful area not far from Pak Chong. We had grown corn in a rented 11 rai field but a lot of the locals would grow sugarcane. It was bad enough with the burning, though it seemed not to last long once it had been lit, it was the black flakes that seemed to float down for days that really (deleted) me off. It was a bit of a lottery when to do a family washing.

The last year we were there the farmer in the field beside us decided to rent in one of these harvester machines, that eventually chopped up the cane into small bits and dumped them into a big wagon. It worked great in the first field but the machine couldn`t do the business in the second field due to too many boulders in the field, so the farmer had to get a squad in to chop down the cane (the field was too near our house to burn.....thankfully).