Koh Samui: Authorities need to do more to stop tourists drowning

webfact

Koh Samui: Authorities need to do more to stop tourists drowning

7pm.jpg

Picture: Facebook Boykk Jaipeam

A jet ski operator who saved a boy from drowning has called on the authorities for more help to stop tourists drowning in Koh Samui. 

The words were echoed by netizens who want more spending on preventing deaths of visitors to the holiday island. 

A post on the Facebook page of "Boykk Jaipeam" showed a man on a jet ski pluck a boy who was drowning in the surf.

He braved 2 meter waves to rescue the youngster successfully. 

In a post he said that the "drowning season" had arrived in Samui. He said that jet ski guys sometimes get a bad press but they often do great stuff like this. 

He called for more help from the authorities in terms of life saving equipment. 

This was repeated by many onliners who shared the story expressing their concern for tourists. 

news_mteyeeiBpB131424_533.jpg

Picture: Facebook Boykk Jaipeam

Daily News said that the 7km long Chaweng Beach had many tourists due to its beauty but could be treacherous during the southern Thai monsoon season of November to January. 

Hotels put out red flags but more could be done to save lives. Some tourists ignore the warnings resulting in deaths every year.

Thaivisa notes that some tourists - unfamiliar with the fact that the southern part of the country has a different monsoon season to places like Pattaya and Koh Chang - may get caught out. 

People should always follow local advice and warning signs. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-25

No they do not have to do more or put more people to look out for the people swimming. It´s the people swimming that are recless and endanger their own lifes. The parents have to look out for their children and the grown ups needs to know their limitations as well as the danger of the oceans.

32 minutes ago, Noob81 said:

Tourist my back. The boy is as local as it gets

How do you know that, and is it at all important?

Do you know the boy personally? Would it be possible that the boy is living in a city 10 km away? Then it would be called domestic tourism, right?

That would actually make this boy a tourist.

However, for the important part of the story it is not relevant what the boy is. What is relevant is that people are drowning in squadrons.

24 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Those 2 metre waves look treacherous!  ????

So, that made his contribution much smaller or did you just feel the need to make it look so?

The point is that the man saved a boy, and he should have a big salute for that.

I am so sick of people refusing to take responsibility for their own actions. Why is it Thailand's fault that people drown? What nonsense. People ignore red flags, roped safe swimming areas, etc. Sad that they die, but stupidity should be painful to the stupid, too.

3 hours ago, 30la said:

What does it has to do with it??? Saved!

Maybe a setup. If you were picking up a drowning person you would not be accelerating at the same time on a jet ski. We did however practice that in rubber duckies back in Oz before jet skis were introduced.

25 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

publicity stunt, business is slow, wonder if TAT is behind that   555

I’m thinking more to get them a good name and stop people moaning about them on that beach . Make a change from jet ski scams , threatening behaviour , almost hitting swimmers and shooting each other !!

Shut the beaches and the mountains and the elephant sanctuaries. Oh, why not stop tourism all together? That'll stop them dying in Thailand.

The authorities are expected to do what exactly, to stop the number of tourists dying? Especially when we heard today of a British guy visiting his father who seems to have to have taken his own life.

Everyone takes risks, warning signs abound. All adventure is risky. You assess the risk, then decide whether the risk is acceptable or not. It's an adventure crossing the roads here, being driven in a mini van here. Being a tourist here...

5 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

I am so sick of people refusing to take responsibility for their own actions. Why is it Thailand's fault that people drown? What nonsense. People ignore red flags, roped safe swimming areas, etc. Sad that they die, but stupidity should be painful to the stupid, too.

I have been swimming since the age of 4 years old, was a professional diver in the North Sea and many other countries around the World and consider myself to be a reasonably strong swimmer.

However, I myself ran into difficulties a few years ago when swimming at the Southern end of Chaweng beach on Koh Samui.

There were no "Red Flags" flying and I only swam to about 250m offshore...But when trying to return I found myself being dragged out to sea by a strong current...probably a "Riptide".

There was a "Lifeguard" there, but when I waved to signal my problem he was too busy engaging the girles on the beach and didn't see me.

But, everyone should know what a "Riptide" is and know what to do when caught in one which fortunately I did.

https://www.wikihow.com/Survive-a-Rip-Tide

Maybe someone who cares could put a copy of this guide into all seaside hotel rooms, with Chinese translation???....Particularly in Phuket!:thumbsup:

Also hope you take notice of this and pass it on to friends and family when they visit Thailand or any other seaside resorts around the world!

8 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Would it be possible that the boy is living in a city 10 km away?

My dear TV expert, look at the map first (if you can find Koh Samui on it). My point is the whole article is aimed at tourists (read it again) who don't "follow local advice" while the kid is most likely Samui local (plenty of them hang out at beaches in the afternoon). Write an article about Thai kids having no idea about swimming and riptides and attach this video - this will be spot on

On 11/25/2019 at 2:54 PM, Noob81 said:

kid is most likely Samui local

Most local Samui kids can swim, including my son, they live by the sea. 

Unfortunately lot of kids are not local but mainlanders and they can't swim. 

Agree most Thai kids have no clue about swimming but they are not born on Samui. 

On 11/25/2019 at 2:51 PM, GalaxyMan said:

Exactly. It is happening everywhere. You cannot legislate to be rid of stupidity. Natural Selection at work.

Kudos to the jet ski rider however. 

Archived