Pattaya: None of the city's CCTV was working - police suspect "brazen" snatch thief at work

webfact

Pattaya: None of the city's CCTV was working - police suspect "brazen" snatch thief at work

1pm.jpg

Picture: Ruk Siam News

Police in Pattaya are working on the assumption that a serial snatch thief or thieves are robbing tourists at the resort. 

But a key tool in  helping the police solve crime - CCTV - had proved to be useless. 

Not a single camera in the area of Soi 14 cut to 16 Na Klua, Banglamung, was working last night when a Russian family were robbed. 

The cameras belong to City Hall. 

Two men on a motorcycle came up behind a husband and wife and their child and ripped a green bag from the grasp of the 39 year old Russian lady. It contained two phones, $US 400, about a thousand baht and various documents. 

1pm1.jpg

Picture: Ruk Siam News

The thieves were described as "brazen" in the Ruk Siam News story - a witness told the police that neither was even wearing a helmet to conceal their identity. 

Lt-Col Piyapong Ensarn of the Pattaya tourist police came over to help Bang Lamung colleagues. It was suggested that the thief or thieves were also responsible for a similar theft a week before. 

Another case has led to similar claims last week. 

Lt-Col Piyapong hopes that some of the CCTV cameras on the gang's escape route away from the area might actually be working. 

Neither the witness or the victims were able to say the make of the motorcycle or give a plate number. 

Source: Ruk Siam News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-26

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

Police in Pattaya are working on the assumption that a serial snatch thief or thieves are robbing tourists at the resort. 

Well when there are continuous snatch thefts going on, it doesn't take a genius to come up with that conclusion does it?

I can't remember how many times the subject of non working CCTV has come up, with promises made every time it will be rectified.

Expect similar promises again this time and the same amount of inaction as before.

Perhaps if the cops got out of the station and out on the beat, it would be harder for these thieves to practice their miserable trade.

And what if the thieves covered their licence plates, wore helmets, and were on borrowed motorbikes?    

Unless you get a good face photo, or the license plate #, CCTV isn't going to help

So CCTV sees a red Honda wave/click ridden by the culprits, that should narrow down the search  ????

2 hours ago, essox essox said:

The POlice should be out patrolling and NOT in a station playing mobiles/tablets...etc....!!

I have never been in a country with so few police on the streets. Ok, if very special VIPs (you know who I mean) are on the way, you can get an idea how many policemen are existing, when there is one every 50 meters.

Years ago they never wore helmets, ‘my Gf had her purse stolen in broad daylight, I was right next to her , I always carried her gold in my cargo pants but that day she  wanted to put it in her purse, 100,000 b in gold  and her iPhone , of course in usual Thai Style she blamed me, I thought he bumped into with motorbike found a few seconds later he had her purse, motorbike taxis got the plate number from bike, Thank god for those guys, he was stopped at a checkpoint the next week, license plate under seat, Busted and he had her phone in his pocket, we brought  box from iphone to police with serial number , he supposedly got 4 years, went yo

interrogation many days and he confessed allGold was spent , looked like Yabba head, those guys on motorbikes we used to see them robbing  baht busses before the screens , man are they quick and knew all the side sois 14 years ago

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Not a single camera in the area of Soi 14 cut to 16 Na Klua, Banglamung, was working last night when a Russian family were robbed.

Millions of baht justified and spent installing a system which is then left to rot.

City hall should be sending someone home without a salary for this appalling dereliction of maintenance.

33 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Millions of baht justified and spent installing a system which is then left to rot.

City hall should be sending someone home without a salary for this appalling dereliction of maintenance.

Standard here. Rules made, nobody enforces them. Things built or installed and dont work or not maintained.

7 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I hope this incident doesn't give Pattaya a bad name.

The ineptness and impotence of those in authority makes for a bad impression/image on a daily basis. And as is well known, image is all important around these parts...except in this case.

Snatch thieves snatched pattaya CCTV system. 

So no videos of the system being snatched..

Any excuses..

We all know that the police are not night creatures. 

Unless they are watching the fireworks on Pattaya beach. 

(Actually, more tourist police than the usual last night.. hundreds of them)

Archived