Import Duty on a Cycling GPS Computer

WaveHunter

Any idea on what duty and VAT is for cycling computer?  I tried looking it up by HS code 95069190 and the Thai Customs site translates like the information is coming from another planet LOL!!!  The best I could figure is 10% duty and 7% VAT.  DOES THAT SOUND RIGHT to any of you more knowledgable people out there?

I'm planning to buy from Amazon USA and shi by post office.  I'm fine with 10% duty and 7% VAT; just don't want to find it's something crazy like 30% or more duty.  Been burned unfairly by Customs before and it's not fun.

I ordered a Garmin GPS unit off Lazada and it turned out to be faulty (fake?).

Subsequently, I ordered from Amazon with delivery to my UK address then my sister sent it regular mail to Thailand - no interception by customs and no import duty.

Avoid using any of the couriers - TNT, Fedex etc.

On 11/26/2019 at 8:19 PM, marty147 said:

I ordered a Garmin GPS unit off Lazada and it turned out to be faulty (fake?).

Subsequently, I ordered from Amazon with delivery to my UK address then my sister sent it regular mail to Thailand - no interception by customs and no import duty.

Avoid using any of the couriers - TNT, Fedex etc.

That's why I don;t want to order a high-ticket electronic item off Lazada or AliExpress.  I've been burned by counterfeit <deleted> on both before.  I've used the same strategy as you (order from Amazon and have my sister in US ship it by post office); sometimes it works and sometimes not.  The one time it did not work for me, Thai Customs really reamed me.  They set an arbitrary value that was five times the retail price, and it took me six weeks to get a reassessment on it...I think that was their way of "teaching me a lesson"!

I just don't order anything of 'high value' which the crooks at the customs could charge me for. 

I always time my order for one of my visits the UK, or when a friend is coming from the UK or US and have a them bring it over.

I think the moment customs decides to 'look' at a package it's too late theres an elevated charge attached ! 

We can debate the charge all we want, customs will just stall and hold on to the item. As such IMO it's never worth importing anything via post unless its something which has 'customs charges' pre-arranged (i.e. like purchasing apple products on line).

Archived