is sea really so dirty?

parafareno

I have been coming to Jomtien now for 13 years - and I NEVER swam in either Jomtien Beach or - (God forbid) at Pattaya!!!! It seems that only short-term Tourists are ignorant enough to risk their health.

If I want to go to the beach (and swim) I simply go over to Koh Larn ...... the beaches there may also not be perfect, but are a 100% improvement to both Jomtien & Pattaya!!

I  was  in the ENT department of a Pattaya hospital with an ear infection, the first question the doctor asked was  have you been in the sea around pattaya  lately, having seen yellow liquid pouring from  an underground pipe in to the sea at Jomtien i said no i never go into the sea  in the Gulf of Thailand..

It is a <deleted> hole end of story!  Why they call Thailand the Land of Smile you think they will tell you the truth. Go up to the top where the Dusit is located 5 star plus hotel yet the <deleted> pipe leads right into the ocean talking about starting at the top?????

With all the vendors dumping garbage, food and <deleted> in the storm drains it all goes right into the sea! They act like it is OK and everyone does it! I would not swim in the water, even if someone offered me money to do it! They don't understand or don't want to understand that storm drains are for storm water not for garbage dumping! That is also why they have a rat problem and have to cover the drains from the stench smell, it is rotting garbage that goes into the sea.

On 11/26/2019 at 7:17 PM, Thian said:

Once i went in it untill kneedeep and my legs were itchy after that. 

I'm certain that the foreigners who urinated into the nice water were at fault.

Pattaya is the world's biggest broth_...aeeh paradise with a beautiful beach and highly polluted water.

I must be very lucky, as I’ve probably spent a total of a couple of hundred hours swimming at Dongtan beach, Jomtien, without ever being sick or experiencing any itching. I wouldn’t swim there a day or so after heavy rain though - I was at Australia’s famous Manly beach a couple of weeks ago, and I noticed that even there there was a sign advising people not to swim the day after heavy rain.

On 11/28/2019 at 10:57 AM, zaZa9 said:

Jomtien was dirty 8 years ago.

Ive never been back.

The water in Jomtien can be judged visually. If you see bands/streams of dark water just offshore or the water is greenish or worst in color forget it. But sometimes the conditions, tide and currents, bring in some clean/clear water on shore. And again it is visually obvious. 

i see small particles floating inside the jomtien cesspool....but I did swim there for few times....then a girl asked me, why do I swim here?

It could be <deleted> floating inside? 

I mean they do tests, how cant they not say it is not safe?

I read some tests that water in jomtien and pattaya is safe, and you can swim, but in chiang mai you can only splash yourself with water LOL

1 hour ago, parafareno said:

I mean they do tests, how cant they not say it is not safe?

I guess your trying to say they do tests, how can they say it's safe. Your triple negative is saying opposite. Any way the water in Jomtien now most early afternoons is about 80% Ko-Larn clarity. So clean/clear enough for swimming. 

I used to think that Jomtien beach was cleaner but a lot of news articles in the past couple of years of raw sewage being leaked out of the beach in Jomtien, so I've changed my mind and best to stay out of the sea I think. If you Google search for sewage leaks in Pattaya or Jomtien there are many many articles and videos from the past year or two. Better to stay out if you value your health.

3 hours ago, Elmer Fudd said:

I used to think that Jomtien beach was cleaner but a lot of news articles in the past couple of years of raw sewage being leaked out of the beach in Jomtien,

I believe they do that at night so it isn't seen... but I have been told by people in high condos with views out over the sea of dark areas leeching out from the land-side early mornings. 

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Went to see a visiting friend in a tall hotel yesterday, before heading out.  It's not just the sea water that's brown, from his higher floor, you can see a brown haze in the air over the city. 

Burning season too....

On 12/8/2019 at 12:06 AM, phycokiller said:

since no one has mentioned it, the time of year makes a big difference. in the wet season every time it rains the sewers overflow into the sea. dry season starting about now its a lot cleaner

IMG_20191210_104224 (1).jpg

Indeed Jomtien gets a bad rap from the summer/wet season. Today Jomtien and by the way if the sand were white here instead of beige/tan would look a lot better too. And this cheap phone camera seems not to being true for color.

Ie this scene is actually alot more blue/green clear. Also Jomtien beaches are very crowded now with Russian/Scandas

Archived